PDA

View Full Version : The Georgia Loop

AUhiker90
11-17-2011, 21:50
I am about to get out for christmas break and am planning to do a lap or two on the "Georgia loop" what materials would i need to hike this logistically? Any insight from someone who has made the loop would be appreciated.

azb
11-17-2011, 22:36
Water is iffy, even when not in drought.Enjoy! It's a great section, and you'll likely have a lot of solitude.Az

SGT Rock
11-18-2011, 08:17
I just did this a few weeks ago. Water was at all the known DRT locations, you just had to follow the beds down a little further to find it. If you have my guidebook I've got all the info you need in it to make the loop work. In case you don't have it, I've got a sale on the remaining 2011 guidebooks - free shipping until they run out. I did it in 4 full days plus two half days. So five full days of hiking can complete it.

FatMan
11-18-2011, 08:55
Send a PM to Toli. He has done the loop twice in the past few months. The Duncan Ridge is a very popular hunting area. Be sure to wear Blaze Orange.

Also, my house is on the loop so you are welcome to use my driveway if you are looking for a place to park your car.

Dances with Mice
11-18-2011, 09:09
I am about to get out for christmas break and am planning to do a lap or two on the "Georgia loop" what materials would i need to hike this logistically? Any insight from someone who has made the loop would be appreciated.Be aware that the store at the BMT/DRT and GA-60 crossing is closed, so that resupply option is gone. In the past I've cached food at one or the other GA-60 crossings (the one above & Woody Gap) but that's not really necessary. I just had the time to set it up and lighten my food load.

AUhiker90
11-18-2011, 11:09
Thanks FAtMAn I will consider it so my kayak wouldn't be at three forks just waiting to be snatched.

FatMan
11-19-2011, 09:18
Thanks FAtMAn I will consider it so my kayak wouldn't be at three forks just waiting to be snatched.If interested send me a PM for directions. You can park and the trail is a couple hundred yards on footpath out the back door.

Grassy Gap is one mile north of Gooch Gap on the trail.

bgood
06-11-2012, 14:13
I've run the loop twice. First time (2011) I tried to carry everything I needed (water), it took +25 hours (and a few broken bones). The second time I put out aid stations (starting and stopping at Woody Gap) Wolfpen, Mulky, GA-60, Hickory Flats (AT) and Cooper Gap (missed the Cooper stop due to it being very dark during the run). That took 5 hours, but the run took 22-24 hours to complete. We wanted to stop at GA-60/BMT (~29 miles) but couldn't get a cell signal and was also having problems with my inReach there. After a long rest we felt better and fast walked to woody (took usfs-42 from hightower gap to gooch gap, only added a mile)

SGT Rock
06-11-2012, 15:08
You ran that? Wow, I am impressed.

bgood
01-25-2013, 20:07
I keep trying to run the loop for the third time with a better time (sub 20 hours) (like this weekend, but.....). weather this time of year is ify, plus you need an extra day to put aid out and another day to go pick up your stuff. I'll just do a woody gap to coosa loop and back (~30 miles) this Sunday