PDA

View Full Version : I am just curious

texas&fla
11-17-2011, 23:36
I have lurked on WB for awhile and have often wondered about the following question. Has any of you guys who have thru hiked kept track of the total mileage you actually walked.

I know how long the AT is. However, most thru hikers get off the trail and resupply. I know that people get rides, but part of the resupply trip has got to be walking.

I can imagine that the extra miles must really add on to the 2171 miles of the AT (or whatever the total distance happened to be at the time of your thru hike) or does it?

All immensities, whether mountains or problems, are overcome by just one step at a time.....

Lando11
11-17-2011, 23:42
the only time i had walked into towns was when it was under a mile. which maybe happened twice, and thats a big maybe.
but, no clue how much extra walking i did. gathering water, privys, view points/waterfalls on side trails,etc...no way to calculate that accuractly.

fadeleaf
11-18-2011, 00:24
I kept track of all of my extra milage, although some of the town walks were estimated from maps and/or the guidebook. It totaled about 77 miles, but that included the 5.2 extra from katahdin and the 8.8 from the approach trail.

texas&fla
11-18-2011, 00:26
wow...that is a lot lower than what I would expect.