PDA

View Full Version : tent seam sealing and waterproofing

Easyhiker
12-12-2002, 06:59
I just realized I have never seam sealed my tent (CD clip flashlight).
I haven't had any problems with leakage yet though. How long does the manufacturer sealing last? Is it really nessecary to seam seal a tent that doesn't leak? Any comments on tent sealing .... tips, ideas, experiences, etc?

chris
12-12-2002, 09:18
Walrus, which no longer exists, seems to have very good seam sealing. I haven't sealed my Arch Rival (more or less identical to the clip) and haven't had any problems in the rain over the past 3 or so years. On the other hand, my friend's Bibler leaked quite a bit, despite Bibler's claims that it was sealed. I think Bibler now recommends that you seal their tents, despite their expense. On the whole, it is probably a good idea to seam seal a tent (or tarp, for that matter).

gravityman
12-12-2002, 10:50
If you have taped seams, you don't need to seal the entire seam, but there are a few places that might need it. Our SD clip flashlight had taped seams, but there is a little velco sewn into the very peak to hold the pole (which no one uses EVER!). On really drenching down pours the water would seep through the needle holes, soak that velco piece, and it would drip right on our heads! Seam sealed the outside of the tent right above that area, as well as the outside in a few other places that had a similar "feature" and never had another leaking issue.
Maybe your tent hasn't leaked because you have never been in a heavy down pour? It's just a good glob on the outside where there is something that could wick the water past the tape.
Silnylon is much nicer because it is water phobic (where nylon is actually wetting - meaning it will wick water). The water will run off of silnylon, while on the nylon it beads. Beading = more of a chance it will get inside, running off = less of a chance...

Gravity Man