PDA

View Full Version : Wearable quilts

sbhikes
11-18-2011, 14:08
I just got a JRB wearable quilt. It's way super warm when worn compared to my down sweater. But it's also, shall we say, awkward to wear. I'm wondering has anyone actually worn their quilt?

To be honest, if I ever hike in my down sweater it's for like 5 minutes and then I'm broiling, so the only time I'd be wearing it is probably while waiting for slowpokes to get their act together in the morning. So it could really work well. I'm just nervous about the idea of leaving home my down sweater.

Looking for some experiences you have to share!

1azarus
11-18-2011, 14:45
you said it -- there isn't much call to hike in a down anything, so the idea of a wearable quilt is right on -- perfect for camp hanging out. and what a fashion statement "awkward" can make! I have an old torso length threeish season underquilt jrb made briefly a while back, and it has the wearable feature. i do use it in the summer, spring and fall, and would definitely not bring any additional down layer. if i had a heavier wearable quilt i would definitely use it with jrb's down hood and arms in the winter, again, without carrying an additional down layer. Since I don't own one (I use a winter Yeti - not wearable), on winter hikes i use jrb's down arms and just wear my sleeping bag under a rain jacket.

skinewmexico
11-18-2011, 16:41
Did you get the sleeves too?

Wise Old Owl
11-18-2011, 16:53
:oCome on SB... Pose for the camera - post it here..... can't wait to see the smile....:p

SouthMark
11-18-2011, 17:14
I have the JRB No Sniveler and the JRB Hood but I do not have the sleeves. The combo is still warmer than my Montbell Inner Jacket around camp under my oversize rain jacket. I also have the JRB Stealth summer UQ which has come in handy on a couple summer of trips when the temps dropped lower than expected.

sbhikes
11-18-2011, 17:36
I don't have the sleeves, but I could easily make some. I do have some fleece sleeves. I will try to take a picture tonight.

russb
11-18-2011, 17:41
I have a wearable quilt. I use it in the summer and it is my only insulation layer if needed. I can put a wind jacket on over it to help if there is a lot of wind, yes I look like the stay-puff marshmallow man like this, but I am very warm. If it gets really stormy, i would wear my poncho over it. I never would wear it hiking, only for a chilly AM in camp.

sbhikes
11-18-2011, 21:55
Here are the pics. I can actually stuff all this under my Houdini but then I look like Santa.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6224/6360764999_e3c4ca6a34_z.jpg

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2011, 16:42
I showed this to my wife and we mean this in good humor - her comment was Remember the Michelin Man Commercial?" I am sure its warm and fuzzy! -

14469Well you can always say - "hey i'm hot....."