PDA

View Full Version : An Appalachian Trail virgin asks . . .

ping1
11-18-2011, 19:14
I want to avoid the throngs of hikers on the southern Appalachian Trail in March in April. If I start at Springer Mountain in mid-February, how cold will the Appalachian Trail be in Georgia and North Carolina? Any other comments on an early start?

Jim Adams
11-18-2011, 19:21
It will be colder than mid March or April...probably 20*-45* daytime temps and teens to 35* night time lows but most importantly, you probably won't miss most of the crowds because more are starting earlier every year and when it is that cold, you will probably spend more time in towns until the weather breaks and then the crowds will catch you anyway. If you want to miss all of that I would start later....just my opinion.

geek

kayak karl
11-18-2011, 19:47
im leaving jan 1 st again. just for fun. im hiking till business picks up and my son panics and calls me back, LOL. winter is fun. ive gone 5 days without seeing a soul. its cold, but not that cold. its wet, but not that wet. glad i got a hammock.

Summit
11-19-2011, 02:02
Mid-Feb thur early April - plan on (expect) everything winter can throw at you . . . snow, ice storms, temps near 0* at times. Start with very warm clothing and at least a 20* bag if not warmer. Educate yourself on winter survival.

FatMan
11-19-2011, 09:11
If you want to avoid the crowds and the more severe winter weather then start in April and hike the BMT up to the Smokies and skip GA on the AT.

Ron Haven
11-19-2011, 11:47
I see lots of people who do this and I have to say. Some can and some can't. I run the Budget Inn in Hiawassee and Franklin. I see many come in for a few days at a time and do slack packing under the worst conditions. I try as many others in these areas to help everyone we can with what they want to do.

My advise is: keep in touch with people such as us because we can give you good advise. We all help with shuttles, refer you to the cheepest lodging and know the one like us ahead of you. I could give you others name and numbers in our area to help you from Springer to Fontana.

If you do end up in bad weather lodging cost can add up, so keep this in mind. Hostel stays are about $20 per night, My hiker rates are $39.99 for single person and $5ea for additional guest per room/max 4 per room. Most other motel cost is $49 to $69 single and up.

Summit
11-19-2011, 12:22
Also, quite a few people start in Feb, with Feb 1st being a popular start date, so your campsites/shelters may not be as crowded as an April start, but don't expect too much solitude!

Lion King
11-19-2011, 12:29
I suggest starting later. Late April or even 1st o fMay, it may be hotter but if you move fast you will be alone for the first month at least.

I did that in 98, not by choice but because I didnt know any better. :D

10-K
11-19-2011, 12:52
If you want to avoid the crowds and the more severe winter weather then start in April and hike the BMT up to the Smokies and skip GA on the AT.

+1. Stay on the BMT all the way to Davenport Gap...... forget the AT in GSMNP too.

max patch
11-19-2011, 13:08
Ping asks a question about hiking the AT. Telling him to NOT hike the AT is not answering his question.

I would not leave in mid-Feb. It will be cold and you have the real possibility of deep snow in the GSMNP.

Leave in April and if you want to minimize your interaction with others then don't stay in shelters. Even better, don't camp near shelters. You'll figure it out.

royalusa
11-19-2011, 14:02
We started Feb 18th (2008) and enjoyed it for several reasons. We liked the solitude. We liked having more views for many months d/t no leaves on the trees. We liked the challenges that the snow and ice brought us. We learned how to deal with frozen water filters and frozen water bottles. We watched and learned from others that had their hanging rope frozen to the tree and had to wait for the sun to melt it to get to their food. The occasional winter conditions added variety to our adventure. We had temps in the single digits and were prepared for it. We liked the feeling that we did not have to rush to Maine before it ‘closed’. With all that being said, I must note that we had perhaps 6-8 inches of snow at one time, not the several feet of snow that would have brought on a whole different ballgame, but one I feel sure we would have enjoyed as well. We like to push ourselves a bit mentally and physically.

Check out our journal for more info, as we do talk about temps and weather conditions:
http://trailjournals.com/brakeman

It’s all about HYOH and figuring out what you are really looking for in your hike. If we were to do another AT thru-hike, would we start in mid February. No. Why? As a result of our thru-hike, we are a bit more experienced, more comfortable in our abilities, a bit more knowledgeable about the AT and would most likely do a SOBO at a much faster clip than we did our first hike. But would we want to do a rewind and replay on our 2008 thru-hike and change our direction and start date? No. Why? Cause we have too many dang good memories about it the way we did it…including especially our early start which resulted in more views, more varieties of climate conditions, less people, etc…as I said in the above paragraph.

Lion King
11-19-2011, 14:16
Georgia is pretty, why miss that?

Jeff
11-19-2011, 14:26
Leave in April and if you want to minimize your interaction with others then don't stay in shelters. Even better, don't camp near shelters. You'll figure it out.

Good advice here !!

Summit
11-19-2011, 14:33
A later start allows you to enjoy the beautiful foliage of the Southern Appalachians. Thru hikers who are north of the Smokies by the time the foliage starts to pop out have really missed something!

Tinker
11-19-2011, 14:51
It will be colder than mid March or April...probably 20*-45* daytime temps and teens to 35* night time lows but most importantly, you probably won't miss most of the crowds because more are starting earlier every year and when it is that cold, you will probably spend more time in towns until the weather breaks and then the crowds will catch you anyway. If you want to miss all of that I would start later....just my opinion.

geek

Nope! It's my opinion, too. I posted a reply several days ago but I must have forgotton to hit the post quick reply button. It wasn't word for word, but pretty close.
When I did Georgia in March of 2006, the temperatures were between 28 and 80 degrees. I was told that it got MUCH colder up north with snow and ice, and many people spent a week of zero days before hitting Va. (again, allowing those starting later and carrying less cold weather gear to catch up).

If you want to have solitude, do a SOBO (these days it isn't as unusual, so you'll have some company at first, then lots of company when you cross paths with the NOBOs, then less company again after the last of them passes you heading north).

Spokes
11-19-2011, 17:26
?....

I agree. With this crazy weather cycle we seem to be in the chances of you being extra miserable on an early start is increased three fold.

moldy
11-20-2011, 11:18
The trail is hard enough as it is, to fight winter storms makes it so hard to do a thru-hike that those that try end up failing at 4 times the rate as those who avoid most of winter and start in late March or early April. Most hikers that try it end up making a mad dash in good weather periods then hole-up in trail towns at hotels and hostels to wait out the storm. It's a bit expensive in bad weather years. What you don't realize yet is how much effort and how much of a physical toll you pay to make it even 5 miles in deep wet snow. You feel like the bull in a bullfight that is forced to take on the matadore only after fighting the 2,000 pound armored pickadore horse for half an hour and then chased around by a half dozen speedy trainees. A few days of this kind of hiking will drive you right out of the woods. If you want to avoid the crowds, go SOBO, or flip flop or avoid shelters. The only other option is hope for an early spring.

swjohnsey
11-21-2011, 09:09
You ain't gonna find "throngs" of hikers on the AT even in late March or April unless by throngs you mean a dozen or so people a day.

strollingalong
11-21-2011, 11:38
In a nutshell.... I need trail runners, I live in Mexico, there are no trail runners in Mexico, won't be leaving Mexico until 2 days before I start the AT, therefore I need to buy online, how do I increase my chances of a decent fit? any measuring hints?

strollingalong
11-21-2011, 11:39
apologies! had 2 windows open of whiteblaze and typed that in the wrong one! oops

t_ryfek
11-21-2011, 23:14
I hear SOBO is much less crowded? However i have no personal experience as of yet...