PDA

View Full Version : Through the Smokies

Stix
03-04-2005, 09:55
In an attempt to keep my pack weight down, I’m thinking about doing a re-supply in Gatlinbu rg. How common, and feasible is such an undertaking?

Lone Wolf
03-04-2005, 09:58
Very common and very feasible. It's an easy hitch from Newfound Gap into Gatlinburg.

SGT Rock
03-04-2005, 10:07
Lots of tourists at the gap, one might be interested in giving you a ride in exchange for some hiking stories. Of course if you see a guy in an AT shirt with a high and tight and a couple of boys, that is me, I will give you a ride :D

Stix
03-04-2005, 10:37
Thanks Rock. And I thought I was going to be the only high and tight out there. Awesome. If all goes according to plan, I will start the Smokies thru-hike around the end of March. I will take your advise about the re-supply, but will inquire about a shuttle service to town and back.

Footslogger
03-04-2005, 10:47
In an attempt to keep my pack weight down, I’m thinking about doing a re-supply in Gatlinbu rg. How common, and feasible is such an undertaking? ===================================
Don't know how "common" it is but that's where I re-supplied in 2003. Easy hitch from Newfound Gap and back. Be sure and hit the outfitter in town. Big grocery store and post office are at other end of town but walkable. If you overnight in Gatlinburg there is a great burger/beer place called "The Brewery", if you're so inclined.

Be sure and check out the outfitter. You can generally coordinate a ride back to Newfound Gap from there.

'Slogger
AT 2003

The Solemates
03-04-2005, 13:25
but will inquire about a shuttle service to town and back.

We didnt resupply at GBurg (and really see no reason to...it only takes 4 days to get through the Smokies), but I think everyone on WB that has ever spent any time in the Smokies will agree that no shuttle inquiries are needed. You will be amazed at how many tourists are at Newfound Gap, especially at the end of March, and especially if you hit it on a weekend.

Doctari
03-04-2005, 13:41
===================================
Don't know how "common" it is but that's where I re-supplied in 2003. Easy hitch from Newfound Gap and back. Be sure and hit the outfitter in town. Big grocery store and post office are at other end of town but walkable. If you overnight in Gatlinburg there is a great burger/beer place called "The Brewery", if you're so inclined.

Be sure and check out the outfitter. You can generally coordinate a ride back to Newfound Gap from there.

'Slogger
AT 2003

You don't even have to walk (Much) in Gatlinburg, the trollys are reliable, passing by about every 1/2 hour, and cheap, I think about $0.80 per ride. There is even one that will take you to Dollywood. Ask at the outfitters (If comming from newfound gap: Left at the first light [light #10, yes they are numbered] which is ski mountain rd. left into the first parking lot) for directions to the nearest trolly stop. There is a stop at: the Post office, the grocery store, 2 landromats, the community center for "swimming" Please dont say you are there for a shower, they may not allow you in, BUT, if there for "swimming" you must shower first :)
Anyway, the pool is really nice, a days swimming is about $1.50 plus towel & locker rental.

I second the advice to visit the "Smokey Mountain Brewery" Accross the street from Obergatlinburg tramway. Get the beer sampler & a turkey reuben with potato skins.

Hitching into Gatlinburg is easy most days, the AT puts out on a huge tourest viewoint. Just ask if they are going to Gatlinburg (left on newfound gap Rd. if hiking northbound on the AT) altho Cherokee could be a decent supply point, it's not quite as accessable as G-burg.

If spending the night: the grandprix motel is very hiker friendly, and about 1/2 block from the outfitter up ski mountain rd. Across the street from outfitters is a Ky fried chicken, that had a AYCE last time I was there (2002).

Doctari.

Stix
03-04-2005, 13:44
Lets see- doing the math………70 miles in four days? Well, if you mean three nights and a walkout then that equals ~ 17.5 miles a day, but if you mean four nights and a walkout that that would equal ~ 14. Since I’m a lazy fat bastard who likes to take side trips and end the day with a # 50 Dominican and some Johnny Black, I think I’ll

Shoot for something a little less ambitious.

orangebug
03-04-2005, 14:08
The Smokies, once you get past Newfound Gap, move pretty quickly. 4-5 days is pretty routine, with excellent light resupply in Fontana to begin and heavier resupply available after Davenport Gap - either thru Mtn. Mamma's or the new hostel. You are going to waste time going down and back to Gatlinburg, but the Flatlanders and touristy kitsch are cool.

Stix
03-04-2005, 14:13
Orangebug- my bad, I probably should have posted on the Smokies thread. I’m thru-hiking the Smokies, not the A.T.

springerfever
03-04-2005, 14:48
stix.....enjoy your hike..I've done the Smokies in March and it's awesome!!
If you haven't considered some type of crampon, you might want to. Parts of the trail were like bobsled runs. I had a pair of poles that helped considerably but the ice will really slow you down. Since then I've gotten a pair of Yaxtrax..weighs about 4 ounces/pair and they work great. I believe REI carrys them. get a pair smaller than recommended; they are quite stretchy..

Also, another challenge is keeping your water.....WATER. I hung up a Platapus with 1.5 liters at Pecks Corner shelter...next morning it was one big ice cube.
If you're comfortable with keeping it in your sleeping bag, by all means, do. If not..at least turn it upside down and blow out the tube to keep that from freezing also.

Lastly..make sure to take the side trail to Mt. Cammerer. only about a mile and one of the best views in the southeast + a really neat octagonal tower.......

Alligator
03-04-2005, 14:52
Lets see- doing the math………70 miles in four days? Well, if you mean three nights and a walkout then that equals ~ 17.5 miles a day, but if you mean four nights and a walkout that that would equal ~ 14. Since I’m a lazy fat bastard who likes to take side trips and end the day with a # 50 Dominican and some Johnny Black, I think I’ll

That's the kind of spirit I like to see.

There are some not too distant campsites off the AT that allow one to stay out of some of the shelters also.

orangebug
03-04-2005, 14:59
Eeek! A section hike of the Smokies prior to St Patty's Day?

I did the northern section in beginning March 4, 2001 and was caught in a blizzard, zeroed a couple of days at Tri Corner Knob Shelter. I tried to get to Mt Cammerer, but the snow drifts were too high to find the trail. Crampons gave me no service, but I could have used snow shoes from that outfitter in G-burg.

Luck, fittness, agenda and the weather will determine how long or short a hike GSMNP will be. It is a fabulous experience, but be prepared for surprises.

fehchet
03-04-2005, 15:10
DollyWood? How far is that?

I'll have to remember the Mt. Cammerer tip. There must be a list somewhere of interesting blue blazing as one proceeds along the AT. I know some of them in Maine, but that about it.

Mike
03-04-2005, 15:17
My buddies and I go down to the smokies once or twice a year for a week long trip. I have to say one of the highlights is stopping at Calhoun's for a bite to eat and a beer after the trip. BTW, Calhoun's serves the same beer as the Smoky Mountain Brewery so get the supermug of Hellas Vellas. I'm not planning on going down till May, but now you have me thinking about the beer.... : :jump

bulldog49
03-04-2005, 15:18
One thing to consider if you are planning to resupply in Gatlinburg, is that Newfound Road is closed to traffic during heavy snow or freezing rain. So, if you are going through the park early in the year, you might want to check on the weather forecast when you hit Fontana.

Mike
03-04-2005, 15:23
Dollywood is in Pigeon Forge which is just a few short miles (10 ish) from Gatlinburg. Eeegad, does anyone else get the idea that Gburg/Pigeon Forge is an exact copy of Branson and Myrtle Beach... The go cart/mini golf/dinner theater/corny museam count is just about the same. They even have a Wings in Pigeon Forge. The only difference I can think of is the lack of a good seafood Calabash.

orangebug
03-04-2005, 15:42
I think the traffic in G-Burg/Pigeon Forge is even worse than Myrtle Beach.

The Solemates
03-04-2005, 17:12

Doing the Smokies in 4 days is very feasible. We did it in 3 nights and a walk-out without much of a problem on our thru. And we still got to Standing Bear Farm by 3pm the last day. And this was mid-February with anywhere from 6 inches to 3 feet of snow in places. The AT through there is mostly ridgeline walking, so it is very easy to cover 20mpd. If I was in thruhiking shape again and hiked in the summer, 3 days would be doable.

I have also done a "thru" of the Smokies at 2 other times rather than on our thru. Both times I did it in 5 days (4 nights and a walk-out by your terminology).

But about getting a ride...you do need to watch the weather because they seem to close the road quite often. I have been a number of times when it was closed for snow. You wont be gettin a ride then...

Stix
03-05-2005, 06:10
Springerfever- great call on the crampons! I had considered the snow but had totally overlooked the ice factor. Thanks. WBZERZ come through once again.