PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow, I set out.

Freeze55
11-19-2011, 01:31
Tomorrow, I'm going off to start a multi-day section hike of the Foothills trail. I'm a complete newbie to backpacking and now I'm taking a trip on my own. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous. Am I crazy for doing this solo as a beginner? How did you guys feel going out by yourselves for the first time? I'm curious how other people got their start backpacking.

Summit
11-19-2011, 01:39
My first hike was solo . . . I loved it. I just finished the Foothills trail with 3 other guys the 5th of November. I did the entire trail 3 1/2 years ago solo. Have fun! I assume you've done your homework on equipment, etc. Good luck!

Freeze55
11-19-2011, 01:49
Thanks Summit, I appreciate it. I've done as much research as I think I can do. Of course, I'm sure I'm still forgetting something but this will be a learning experience. Nice sig by the way.

Summit
11-19-2011, 02:13
One of the guys I hiked with lives in Salem, SC just off Hwy 11. His wife did two food drops so we only had to carry 3 days max on this trip. The first time I did it (solo) I carried 7 days worth of food! The guys I've been hiking with the last few years are all Christian brothers whom I've met directly (or indirectly) from Whiteblaze.

JAK
11-19-2011, 02:15
Be prepared to discover you are unprepared. It's a bit of a learned skill, like learning how to find yourself lost.
Stop and think about what you are doing fairly often, and don't be afraid to turn back.
If you have alternate exit points, like to roads, make sure ahead of time they are active roads.

Marta
11-19-2011, 08:21
Have a great hike!

FatMan
11-19-2011, 09:06
It's a great trail. Enjoy!

10-K
11-19-2011, 09:22
I've hiked it twice now and plan to hike it every year.

It's a great trail to practice solo hiking on, you won't have any trouble following the trail - it's well blazed and the Foothills Trail Association folks do a superb job maintaining it.

Be sure to come back and give us a trip report. :)

MuddyWaters
11-19-2011, 16:18
Kind of like having sex for the first time. The butterflies go away and you become a pro in no time (or at least think you are).