PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back!

Summit
11-19-2011, 01:34
After over two years of a sabbatical break from Whiteblaze, I'd like to say hello again! Older members will remember me, newer members will not. During my hiatus, I've been actively hiking with several guys I met on Whiteblaze. In the Spring of this year, Mike and I did the "Big Middle" of the Foothills Trail, and then Craig, Gary and I did a 40 mile loop in Shining Rock Wilderness, then did a 25 miler with Mike and Craig in Shining Rock in October, and just finished a 76 mile hike of the Foothills Trail with Gary, Sam, and Mike.

I've acquired some new gear since I last posted, dropped my base pack weight by 10-15 lbs. Biggest contributor to equipment weight reduction was replacing my heavy Gregory Whitney pack with a REI Flash 65. I love this new pack. The other most significant equipment change was ditching my Big Agnes air pad for an Exped Downmat 7.

brotheral
11-19-2011, 03:42
Welcome back John... I'm up watching The Presidents Cup golf matches that I recorded last night.

DLANOIE
11-19-2011, 07:31
Glad to have you back!

johnnybgood
11-19-2011, 10:51
Welcome back John . I missed reading your informative posts . I'm glad to hear that you were still hiking during your sabbatical and staying fit.
I also picked up a Flash 65 and have done a couple section hikes with it. Great pack with tons of space.

Summit
11-19-2011, 13:28
14410 Thanks! Also, checked off a bucket list item in September of 2010. Did the Rae Lakes Loop hike in Kings Canyon National Park, CA with my son (27 at the time) and another father/son (4 of us). The loop includes about 10 miles of the PCT. The scenery was fabulous. Hadn't hiked in the Sierras in many years. Brought back great memories of my JMT hike back in 1977. The picture here is me in my new REI Camp Dome 2 in October in Shining Rock Wilderness. I love this tent which I got for < $75 with a 25% off coupon! It's a little heavy at 5 lbs, but very warm (little mesh), definitely a 3-season tent, and I love the canopy rain fly that allows you to look out and about when it's raining!

Summit
11-19-2011, 14:39
Welcome back John... I'm up watching The Presidents Cup golf matches that I recorded last night.Thanks Bro Al!

Tinker
11-19-2011, 14:40
Hi, John. Welcome back. I was away for some time, too, but it was due to having a very old pc which was so old that I couldn't post to the Whiteblaze site after they updated it.

Cookerhiker
11-19-2011, 20:30
Good to have you back:)