PDA

View Full Version : Hikercicle!

Mack
03-04-2005, 11:00
Well, my Hennessy Expedition,w/snakeskins is on its way. Leaving for a 2 week section in GA/NC, in mid April. I have read 11 tons of info on insulating systems, and am more confused than ever....So I've decided to wing it with 2 closed cell pads, 27"X72" and a 20 degree synthetic bag. Will that work, or will they have to chisel me out?
Plan B. Set up over a big fire. Can anyone tell me how much firewood i can comfortably bring into the hammock with me??

rpettit
03-04-2005, 11:17
There are multiple hammock insulating techniques available. I am new at this hammock camping also, and I agree, it is confusing. But to be on the safe side, test your insulation system at home in your yard, you can bail out without endangering yourself. If you still want to wing it, just be certain you have a method of sleeping safely on the ground if the hammock gets to cold. My current insulating system in the Hennessy SuperShelter undercover with 1-1/4" thick additional open cell foam insulation, 20 degree down bag. Stayed so warm at 38 degrees, I should make 30 easy, but haven't tested it lower that 38.

JP
03-04-2005, 11:26
You just have to experament and find what works for you. I did a 32.5 degee night in a cold all night rain with a 30 degree bag and extra cloths. I put on a fleece vest because by back was cold. Now I use a pad and found I stay warmer with it. I just got a Thermarest 3/4 that I havent tried yet. Will use it on a 140 or so hike through PA this May and will have more of an opinion after that. I did buy the bigger fly because I now have a down bag and dont want to chance getting wet. I'll put up with the extra weight even if it is big enough to have a jamboree under. Have fun !

Mouse
03-04-2005, 11:55
140 or so miles... Would that be the Horse Shoe Trail?

erichlf
03-04-2005, 13:03
I fit get too cold you can setup you HH as a Bivy sack, and then there will be no problems. If you don't understand how that can be done here is a link for you. http://hennessyhammocks.com/use-as-a-tent.htm

JP
03-04-2005, 13:05
No,AT from Delaware Watter Gap to Duncannon.
140 or so miles... Would that be the Horse Shoe Trail?