PDA

View Full Version : Walk like the Amish

johnnybgood
11-19-2011, 15:17
It seems the Amish community know a thing or two about staying thin and relatively healthy.
The average Amish man walks 18,000 steps daily while everyone else takes about half as many steps on an average day.

I found it interesting that the Amish still eat like everyone pre World War II rural America did , which consisted of a high fat diet rich in lard , bread and drank milk unprocessed straight from the cow.
http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/amish010704.htm

This should be a wake up call for those that remain sedentary , getting unhealther by the day causing premature heart disease along with diabetes.

After reading this article I think I'm going to take a long walk.

kayak karl
11-19-2011, 15:35
im familiar with the Amish community. they eat just like other farming family's do.

Old Hillwalker
11-19-2011, 15:51
Traditional Japanese Geishas walk about twice as far as the normal walker considering their gait.

hikerboy57
11-19-2011, 15:54
Traditional Japanese Geishas walk about twice as far as the normal walker considering their gait.what???considering their gait?

johnnybgood
11-19-2011, 16:03
Traditional Japanese Geishas walk about twice as far as the normal walker considering their gait. Which makes me wonder how many hikers are considered overweight as measured by the Mass Body Index (BMI) scale.
The BMI is a relationship between a persons weight and height in correlation with body fat percentage in determining the health risks & probability.
Age and gender are also factored into the BMI calculator . I'm guessing that 33% of us would be considered overweight by the scale used to determine fitness .

MuddyWaters
11-19-2011, 16:16
73% of adult americans are OBESE

The % normal americans that are just overweight, would push in the high 90's for sure

Stayed at a hotel 2 yrs ago in Iowa that a couple of tour buses full of Amish people stayed at. No one looked particularly thin to me, pretty much normal.
Made we wonder, around there tourists go visit the Amish country, were the Amish tourists going out to see the regular world??

Spokes
11-19-2011, 17:22
Does this mean we'll see an increase in barn raisings along the trail?

Feral Bill
11-19-2011, 17:30

The % normal americans that are just overweight, would push in the high 90's for sure

I don't believe these figures for a minute. Cite sources please. Also, the difference between slightly overweight and obese can be huge, so to speak.

hikerboy57
11-19-2011, 17:38
it seems you've chosen the thin amish, and not the overweight ones. its not just exercise, by the way, its an aversion to gluttony as well.but there are plenty of obese amish as well.

garlic08
11-19-2011, 19:11
The Amish like to hike on the AT, too. On my thru hike, I met two Amish families in traditional clothing on day hikes. They had the latest gear--nice backpacks, trekking poles, and even trail runners, all in dark or black colors of course. It was fun seeing that. And they were all in great shape.

Echraide
11-19-2011, 19:17

Wait, what? The latest figures I could find say 1/3 are obese, nowhere near 73%. Where did you get that from?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/01/09/us-obesity-usa-idUSTRE50863H20090109
(http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/01/09/us-obesity-usa-idUSTRE50863H20090109)http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/overwt.htm

garlic08
11-19-2011, 19:18
Didn't you know that 68.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

Sailing_Faith
11-19-2011, 19:50

Actually it is more like 73.98% but you were close.

Bronk
11-20-2011, 04:31
I don't believe these figures for a minute. Cite sources please. Also, the difference between slightly overweight and obese can be huge, so to speak.

According to height/weight charts I've looked at, the ideal weight for a man 6ft tall is 165 pounds. I weighed 167 when I stepped off the trail after 4 months and 850 miles and I looked emaciated. And that is the lowest I've weighed since I was 18 years old. I don't know who made the charts or how they came up with the figures, but based upon those charts, yes, most people are considered overweight.

4Bears
11-20-2011, 07:59
The trouble with the BMI is it is not an accurate indicator of obesity. Example; Male 5'11", 225 lbs, has a BMI of 31, which is in the obese range. The problem is, the example is a college football running back and has less than 7% body fat. So in fact he is virtually all muscle and bone. While many, myself included, are overweight, the BMI doesnot take into account percentage of body fat, or bone mass. Thus the above example while not the norm, would indicate to an insurance company number cruncher that this young man must be a video game playing junk food eating lazy person and warrant a higher premium, while the exact opposite should be true. BMI=Junk Science.

Tinker
11-20-2011, 08:46
Families......... (free spellcheck).:)

Tinker
11-20-2011, 08:50
it seems you've chosen the thin amish, and not the overweight ones. its not just exercise, by the way, its an aversion to gluttony as well.but there are plenty of obese amish as well.

Mennonites and Quakers as well. ;)

It's all part of being Amurrican. :rolleyes:

The OP's post is well taken, though. We need to exercise restraint at the table and not restrain exercise (you may quote me on the catchy phrase :)).

Unfortunately, there are times that we cannot properly exercise, such as when we are having a flare up of pseudo-gout (as I am having right now - my left toe is extremely sore and swollen). It should clear up in a few days. Also unfortunate in my case is that the cause (and therefore the treatment) are extremely hard to diagnose. With gout, it's usually a high uric acid concentration in the blood, and there are meds for that. I'm looking into dietary causes, but I think it may be hereditary, primarily.

So..............since I can't exercise right now, I'm paying special attention to my daily caloric intake (which I hardly ever do, normally).

Sierra Echo
11-20-2011, 09:14
Does this mean we'll see an increase in barn raisings along the trail?

Bah ahhahahahahahhaa~~!!!!!

Wise Old Owl
11-20-2011, 10:28
WOO someone needs to work on reading their statistics

That was a small but measurable increase from 62.2% the previous year. The survey finds that 36.6% of Americans are overweight and 26.5% obese.

The Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index findings are based on telephone interviews with 673,000 adults in January 2008 to December 2009. About 90,000 surveys were done each quarter, and the margin of error for the quarterly results is +/- 0.3 percentage points.
The survey finds that:

59.2% of obese Americans exercised at least one day per week, compared to 69.9% of overweight people, and 73.8% of normal-weight people.
Obese people are less likely than people in every other weight category (overweight, normal weight, underweight) to have eaten five servings of fruits and vegetables on at least three days of the past seven.
Obese Americans also are less likely to say they ate healthy “all day yesterday.”

someone said sources OWLS FLY HERE (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100210/percentage-of-overweight-obese-americans-swells)

Pedaling Fool
11-20-2011, 10:44
Mennonites and Quakers as well. ;)

It's all part of being Amurrican. :rolleyes:

The OP's post is well taken, though. We need to exercise restraint at the table and not restrain exercise (you may quote me on the catchy phrase :)).

Unfortunately, there are times that we cannot properly exercise, such as when we are having a flare up of pseudo-gout (as I am having right now - my left toe is extremely sore and swollen). It should clear up in a few days. Also unfortunate in my case is that the cause (and therefore the treatment) are extremely hard to diagnose. With gout, it's usually a high uric acid concentration in the blood, and there are meds for that. I'm looking into dietary causes, but I think it may be hereditary, primarily.

So..............since I can't exercise right now, I'm paying special attention to my daily caloric intake (which I hardly ever do, normally).As far as I'm concerned, mainly by experience and observation, exercise doesn't work to lose weight. Yes you do burn more cals during exercise, but you also tend to eat more due to increased appetite. Most people that set out to lose weight lose it pretty quick in the beginning, thanks to exercise and eating less, but as you become accustomed to exercise your appetite starts to not only come back, but return with a vengence.

Before my 2006 hike I was very active, but starting to get really heavy, i.e. fat. It was bothering me and my hike was all about a restart in health. And that's where I learned you don't need to exercise to lose weight, actually you shouldn't even consider it as a way to lose weight; losing weight is all about you diet. Exercise is all about making the body strong and healthy, period.

I know there's some overlap there, but it really helps me when I think in those terms.

Tinker
11-20-2011, 14:30
You're right, John. It's a combination of diet and exercise which is recommended by every sane physician whose work I've read.

BUT! I know at least a dozen people who swear that they can lose weight by finding the right diet and sticking to it. It's a good thing that they haven't put money on it.

Exercise also increases blood flow to the organs (including the brain), and blood with healthy amounts of oxygen in it (induced by exercise, unless you're into O2 doping :D) refreshes and invigorates the organs.

I have a personal belief that blood flowing at a quicker rate through the body (such as caused by exercise) acts like water in a creek bed, washing away the trash sitting along the banks by way of HDL, the good cholesterol, acting as a sand blaster of sorts. At the very least, exercise stretches the arteries and veins, possibly keeping them from premature hardening.
The above is specuation, of course, but let me have my illusions. Thanks :)

hikerboy57
11-20-2011, 14:38
exercise alone does not lead to weight loss.Im pretty thin, 5'10" 165 lbs, and every time I section hike, I actually gain weight as what little body fat gets burned off and I end up increasing muscle mass, which is heavier than fat.
Tinker, I agree that good exercise does help to keep the blood flowingclean out some of the crap in the arteries. grape seed or pine bark extract is also excellent for helping to reduce plaques in the arteries. These are both powerful antioxidants, about 10-20x that of Vitamin C.

Tinker
11-20-2011, 14:52
Good info on the antioxidants. Thanks.
I have to admit that, when it becomes painfully obvious to me that I need to lose some weight (like after the holidays) I cut down on both fatty foods and carbohydrates, filling up on green veggies (most have less sugar than orange or yellow veggies), and drinking large quantities of water before each meal. It's quite possible to exercise and not lose weight unless you're conscious of what you eat as well, so I'll concede with this parting statement: For a healthy overall individual, a proper diet and exercise are both important. Whichever one you think you need to work on most, get to work on it.

Now I'm hungry. :rolleyes:

johnnybgood
11-20-2011, 15:53
Good information on the green veggies in regards to having less sugars than their yellow & orange counterparts.
I have always heard that drinking lots of water before eating leaves one filling more full and also flushing toxins out of the kidneys. Another trick to eating less that you might what to try Thanksgiving Day is putting smaller quanities of food in your plate. Going one step further , use a smaller plate with larger utensils . This gives you less room to pile on the food and a perception that the amount eaten is of a larger quantity .
When it comes to food servings the average American eats more than they need to , or body wants.

bfayer
11-20-2011, 18:20
WOO someone needs to work on reading their statistics

That was a small but measurable increase from 62.2% the previous year. The survey finds that 36.6% of Americans are overweight and 26.5% obese.

And that is only because they use an arbitrary definition of "overweight" and "obese". In 1997 when the CDC changed the definition of "overweight" and "obese" about 30 million people who were "Normal" one day were "Overweight" the next. I am not saying that most people cannot use to loose some weight, just that statistics are only as good as the definitions used to make them.

By the way, since then, they have found out that people that fit into the zone between what was normal and now overweight (by the new standards, 27 compared to 25 BMI) live longer. In fact most overweight (not obese) people live longer than Skinny (normal weight) people.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/excess_deaths/excess_deaths.htm

overall health and how you take care of yourself is a much better indicator of life expectancy than weight.

MuddyWaters
11-20-2011, 19:47
Losing "weight" is easy. Losing fat is less so.

"Weight" is composed of muscle, glycogen, fat, and water

Generally, a person restricting their calories can lose ~ 65% fat and 35% muscle'/protein tissues. (Its been studied). The "high protein" diets claim this wont occur if you have a high protein intake. Wrong. It still does.

To avoid losing excessive muscle, the body needs a reason to keep it, hence excercise, creating a need for muscle, especially with resistance training, is desireable, but not necessary. This is why some people who starve themselves just end up looking flabbier and smaller and less healthy, not at all like the ripped fitness models they would like to look like.

When you do cardiovascular excercise for ~20 min, the amt of calories burned while excersizing is small (200) , but the body's systems have "inertia". They are slow to rev up, and slow to slow back down. Once you get it revved up into the calorie/fat burning mode, it continues that for a long time afterwards. That is where the real weight is lost, during the first hour AFTER excersize. This is when you avoid eating to lose fat most rapidly. You may burn additional couple hundred calories during that hour. The total for the day is then a significant deficit, even without trying to restricting calories.

All sounds good, but doesnt work out that way in reality. Even with resistance training, and a high protein intake, if you lose more than 2 lbs per month, you will lose muscle too.

One thing to be aware of , is if your sweat smell like ammonia/urea you should stop excersizing. That is a sign that protein (muscle) is being broken down.

jimtabor
11-20-2011, 21:01
I am 5" 8" and was 165 pound 25 years ago. I got down to 170 a few years ago after walking 5 to 10 miles per day and looked like I was just released from a prison camp. 180 to 185 is a good weight for me . I walk and run 30 to 40 miles a week . But my last visit to the Doc I was told I was obese.

bpitt
11-20-2011, 21:26
WYOW.....weigh your own weight, you heard it here first.

DapperD
11-20-2011, 23:00
It seems the Amish community know a thing or two about staying thin and relatively healthy.
The average Amish man walks 18,000 steps daily while everyone else takes about half as many steps on an average day.

I found it interesting that the Amish still eat like everyone pre World War II rural America did , which consisted of a high fat diet rich in lard , bread and drank milk unprocessed straight from the cow.
http://walking.about.com/cs/measure/a/amish010704.htm

This should be a wake up call for those that remain sedentary , getting unhealther by the day causing premature heart disease along with diabetes.

After reading this article I think I'm going to take a long walk.They say that walking is among the best exercises to be described as a pure fat burning activity. People who walk everywhere and/or a lot tend to be in good shape. The Amish I am sure do not only do a lot of walking, but they also do a lot of physical labor (farming and contruction). So yes living a highly physical lifestyle will get you and keep you in condition. And coupling that with eating plenty of high quality foods that you grow and raise yourself is going to add to your overall health, strength, vigor, and vitality.

Sierra Echo
11-21-2011, 00:51
This thread has me envisioning Weird Al Yankovic in his amish get up making fun of thru hikers. Would make for an awesome video.

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2011, 00:59
OK without coming off sarcastic - I am so glad that Jhonnybgood posted this thread - confirmation of some of mine and I plan to share this with my overbearing 70+ dad.... who still chastises me about weight.

Thank you for this new take.

veteran
11-21-2011, 08:19
http://www.thosefunnypictures.com/resize.php?file=pictures/8107/misc-funny-pic-Amish_Airlines.jpg:D

AndyB
11-21-2011, 09:13
Amish? Really? We have a thread about Amish?

3_dogs
11-21-2011, 09:57

One of the first things I learned in grad school was, "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics."

10-K
11-21-2011, 12:47
I just scanned this thread and didn't read it completely - my apologies if this is redundant....

When people say "I exercise.' that's like saying "I play sports." - the exercise continuum is so large that it could mean anything from water aerobics to running an ultra-marathon and anything in between.

Saying "Exercise alone isn't effective for losing weight." is not a 100% factual statement. What kind of exercise? How long are you doing it?

In my "real life" I ordinarily run/walk/hike at least 70 miles a week ( I try for 10 miles a day, average). Given that the body is built for efficiency and the fact that I've been doing this for years I'd guesstimate that I burn roughly 4500 calories for every 70 miles I cover by foot.

That's very close (about 70%-80%) of my daily caloric intake over 2 days.

The Solemates
11-21-2011, 12:55

there is an underlying presumption made here that Amish people are diagnosed with heart disease and/or diabetes at a lower rate than non-Amish people. this is probably true, but could just as easily NOT be the case. any research to support?

Pedaling Fool
11-21-2011, 17:19
Another trick to eating less that you might what to try Thanksgiving Day is putting smaller quanities of food in your plate.I never restrain myself on special get togethers, if anything I'll starve myself a little before them. But I guess it's a good tactic for the rest of the year.

johnnybgood
11-21-2011, 17:37
Amish? Really? We have a thread about Amish? The topic is indirectly related to hiking since it involves walking and the benefits it has to overall health . There happens to be a thread about college football currently receiving a ton of attention and having absolutely nothing to do with hiking.

Hikerhead
11-21-2011, 18:33
Amish women are hot = BTU = Heat = Stove = Backpacker cooking. There I fixed it for ya. :)

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2011, 22:13
Amish women are hot = BTU = Heat = Stove = Backpacker cooking. There I fixed it for ya. :)

apparently you discounted the lack of electric attraction or lust.....

Sierra Echo
11-21-2011, 23:14
I like amish people. They make good apple pies!

Hikerhead
11-21-2011, 23:21
I have two of them old mowers for sale now. One even has a gas motor on top of it.

apparently you discounted the lack of electric attraction or lust.....

Wise Old Owl
11-21-2011, 23:40
Oh Hikerhead - you know gas doesn't fly or keep you toasty at night- only a good woman can do that....

Hikerhead
11-22-2011, 00:00
Bad women can't keep you warm too?

Tinker
11-22-2011, 10:33
I like amish people. They make good apple pies!

Yeah, but they always put up a fight when you try to stuff them under the top crust! :D

Sierra Echo
11-22-2011, 11:25
Yeah, but they always put up a fight when you try to stuff them under the top crust! :D

Bah hahahahahahahaa!!!
Ive found using a plunger helps!

Creek Dancer
11-22-2011, 11:39
As far as I'm concerned, mainly by experience and observation, exercise doesn't work to lose weight. Yes you do burn more cals during exercise, but you also tend to eat more due to increased appetite. Most people that set out to lose weight lose it pretty quick in the beginning, thanks to exercise and eating less, but as you become accustomed to exercise your appetite starts to not only come back, but return with a vengence.

Before my 2006 hike I was very active, but starting to get really heavy, i.e. fat. It was bothering me and my hike was all about a restart in health. And that's where I learned you don't need to exercise to lose weight, actually you shouldn't even consider it as a way to lose weight; losing weight is all about you diet. Exercise is all about making the body strong and healthy, period.

I know there's some overlap there, but it really helps me when I think in those terms.

A agree. What helps me is to remember this: You lose weight in the kitchen; you get fit in the gym.

Creek Dancer
11-22-2011, 11:48
exercise alone does not lead to weight loss.Im pretty thin, 5'10" 165 lbs, and every time I section hike, I actually gain weight as what little body fat gets burned off and I end up increasing muscle mass, which is heavier than fat.
Tinker, I agree that good exercise does help to keep the blood flowingclean out some of the crap in the arteries. grape seed or pine bark extract is also excellent for helping to reduce plaques in the arteries. These are both powerful antioxidants, about 10-20x that of Vitamin C.

Actually, muscle is not heavier than fat, but I think I know what you are getting at. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is, however, denser than fat. So a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, which is why some people through diet and exercise can lose fat, gain muscle, have a smaller body, and never really lose weight or possibly gain weight.

MuddyWaters
11-22-2011, 19:37
Theres something about a woman in a bonnet......

Blissful
11-22-2011, 20:25
The Amish like to hike on the AT, too. On my thru hike, I met two Amish families in traditional clothing on day hikes. They had the latest gear--nice backpacks, trekking poles, and even trail runners, all in dark or black colors of course. It was fun seeing that. And they were all in great shape.

I saw a Mennonite family out in PA and on a Sunday too. :)

Harpua
11-22-2011, 20:50
90% of statistics are fake.

hikerboy57
11-22-2011, 20:51
90% of statistics are fake.its actually 87%

Sierra Echo
11-22-2011, 21:26
Theres something about a woman in a bonnet......

You have a better chance of getting Laura Ingalls then you do an Amish chick!

MuddyWaters
11-22-2011, 22:45
No problem. I know what they NEED, and Ive got a big one.

They

MuddyWaters
11-22-2011, 22:46
They just love my SPINNING WHEEL.

MuddyWaters
11-22-2011, 22:48
They just love my SPINNING WHEEL.

poor taste, I know. :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 13:59
You have a better chance of getting Laura Ingalls then you do an Amish chick!

14458 SHE'S DEAD... I go with the Amish Chick

Sierra Echo
11-24-2011, 19:54
14458 SHE'S DEAD... I go with the Amish Chick

I know she's dead, but he still has a better chance then her!

greenmtnboy
11-25-2011, 09:48
I have been in Holmes County, OH, where there are large communities of Amish. Those who do follow the traditional course and do not have motor vehicles, etc., get others to bus them around to work sites. If you are limited otherwise to horse and buggy, bicycles, walking, and you are in a community where most people do the same you will probably be in good shape. Their diets, though are full of hydrogenated oils and preservatives from what I could see, though I'm sure there are those who have the healthy diet of foods close to nature. There are "Topix" forums dedicated to Amish to find out more about how they interact with neighbors.

Pedaling Fool
11-26-2011, 11:34
Kind of strange http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15862064; http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/7-in-ohio-charged-with-hate-crimes-in-amish-hair-attacks-sheriff-says-concerns-in-3-states/2011/11/24/gIQANI82qN_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most

Old Hiker
11-26-2011, 11:50
I know she's dead, but he still has a better chance then her!

At least she won't say "No". But, oh, that stiff, negative body language!

johnnybgood
11-26-2011, 12:17
Kind of strange http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15862064; http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/7-in-ohio-charged-with-hate-crimes-in-amish-hair-attacks-sheriff-says-concerns-in-3-states/2011/11/24/gIQANI82qN_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most Been waiting for this....
Find all your answers about the Amish here : http://www.justanswer.com/amish

At least she won't say "No". But, oh, that stiff, negative body language! It sounds like frigidity on her part.:p

hikerboy57
11-26-2011, 12:20
gave him the cold shoulder
cold everyhting, for that matter.

4eyedbuzzard
11-26-2011, 22:22
The average life expectancy of both Amish men and women is 72 years, or about the same as any other US male. The Amish women live a few years less than their non-Amish counterparts. A somewhat healthier life perhaps, but not a longer one.

http://www.amish.net/faq.asp
(http://www.amish.net/faq.asp)http://gerontology.umaryland.edu/documents/Advances_in_Aging_fall031.pdf