PDA

View Full Version : Camel's Hump this week?

Amanita
11-20-2011, 02:36
I know it's not technically AT, but I'm putting this in general hoping to get some input.

So this is probably my last chance to get out this year before the real snow arrives up here in VT, and I'm looking at doing camel's hump some time this week. So a few questions...

1. Has anyone here been up there very recently? What should I expect for conditions?
2. Given those conditions, what kind of snow/ice gear should I bring? (nothing special, microspikes, snowshoes ect?)
3. Should I make it an overnight?

With regards to number three... I'd like to spend a night out, but I've never camped out below freezing anywhere but my own back yard (as a test) and I'm a little nervous. My test night went pretty well but I'm not sure if this is a good point to start my sub freezing experience.

Slo-go'en
11-20-2011, 12:35
Judging from what I see out my window here in Whites of NH, expect icy conditions and maybe a little snow. It will be on the mild side this week until Wensday, when its suppost the rain, then change to wet snow, then cool down a bit when the front passes by.

I would bring microspikes for sure. It's too early for snowshoes - you really need a couple of feet of snow to make them practical.

For spending the night, you have two choices - Montclair Glen Lodge or Gorham Lodge. The hike up to Montclair Glen Lodge from the Couching lion farm site parking lot is pretty easy. (But that lot is noted for its car break ins) Montclair Glen is a fully enclosed cabin, so is a good place for early winter. The weather will be chilly, but not exceptionally cold, so I think this is a good time to get some cold weather experiance. Have fun!!

MamaBear
11-20-2011, 18:02
Check out www.newenglandtrailconditions.com (http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/). There is a section for Vermont and someone might have hiked it recently and submitted a report.

Papa D
11-20-2011, 18:23
The climb up from Danforth Lodge is steep but short (if you are coming from the South) - there is a bad weather blue blaze if you have to bail -- the wilderness North of Camel's Hump all the way to Jonesville is nothing less than spectacular -- some of the green mountain's best. Stay warm and safe.

mirabela
11-20-2011, 19:36
I've been up above 4000' in the Whites quite a bit in the last few weeks (including yesterday) & would imagine conditions are similar. There's some ice, though nothing too extensive since there have been exceptionally many above-freezing nights this month. There is very little snow. Bring microspikes, but you might not even need them.

This could all change with Wednesday's expected wintry mix; that will probably be the onset of more serious snow & ice conditions up high for the season.

As for nights out: note that Gorham Lodge was taken down seven or eight years ago. Bamforth Ridge shelter is a very long way from the summit, almost three rugged miles to the north. Not sure what the above poster meant by "Danforth Lodge," as there is no such thing. Montclair Glen lodge is ~1.7 miles south of the summit. It's a viable place to overnight; you could use the Forest City Trail & LT.

Note that the road to Couching Lion Farm (the Camels Hump road in Duxbury) was destroyed by Irene & is not open yet (info verified as of 11/16). I wouldn't bother with the east side of the mountain until next year.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

joshuasdad
11-20-2011, 20:13
Killington peak (just south) is clear of ice, except where there are streams, springs, or bogs. I thought the hump was closed since Irene, you might want to check the green mtn club website.

joshuasdad
11-20-2011, 21:24
Killington peak (just south) is clear of ice, except where there are streams, springs, or bogs. I thought the hump was closed since Irene, you might want to check the green mtn club website.

Amanita
11-21-2011, 17:00
Went up the Burrows Trail (west side) today. Weather was cold but clear, great views from the top. I'll post pics later once I pull them off my camera. Some ice but microspikes were not needed. I decided on a day hike for scheduling reasons, but wish I could have stayed out longer. Now to settle in for the snow :(

Mike2012
11-21-2011, 21:43
Thanks for the report. I think I might go for a day hike tomorrow.

Mike2012
11-22-2011, 18:13
Went up today for a 6 mile loop. A little ice, very little wind and very quiet up top. Could see the Adirondacks across Lake Champlain, south and saw that Sugarbush has snow on the summit runs, and east to Mt. Washington. Great loop and ideal hiking!

Mike2012
11-23-2011, 12:20
first time posting pictures but here is half way up the hump, entering the frost zone, and a view south along the greens to Mt. Abraham (Sugarbush) and beyond.

Driver8
11-24-2011, 02:02
Nice pics, Mike, thank you for sharing!