PDA

View Full Version : Ursack?

ping1
11-20-2011, 19:59
I would appreciate any comments on a product called Ursack, which is a bear-proof food sack.

leaftye
11-20-2011, 20:21
I love mine. I use it every time I hike, even if only to keep rodents out of my food. I once kept a full Ursack hanging on top of a mountain for two weeks. Rodents chewed a couple tiny holes in it, but it wasn't nearly enough for them to even nibble on the ziplock bags within. I also spent one long night watching a cougar keep coming back to nibble on it all night with no damage, but a lot of slobber/snot. I just wish I could carry it throughout the PCT instead of a bear canister.

Some people sleep with their food, but I'd rather not have to wonder if that rustling I heard nearby was a rodent coming to make an attempt at my food. I can tie my food to a tree a few dozen yards away and not care if animals play with it all night because I know they're going to be unsuccessful.

BrianLe
11-20-2011, 22:49
I have both the Ursack and the Ursack Minor (http://www.ursack.com/ursack-minor.htm) and I use one of those, or a bear can, or none of the above, all depending on the particular trip.

Since you posted this in a "thru-hiker specific topics" section, I presume that you're looking for comments on it in the context of a thru-hike. And since this is white blaze, I can at least guess that you're thinking of an AT thru rather than elsewhere ... ?

If so, then you might consider the Ursack Minor. Not bear proof, but I used it throughout on the AT and found it worth carrying as a rodent-proof bag. Rather than hanging every night in the shelter, I found it nice to sleep with my food next to me; more convenient for midnight snacking, and I had no problem with rodents getting in. I wouldn't consider bringing the standard Ursack on the AT, not worth it IMO for the relatively few places that bears are a potential issue (smokies, shenendoah, new jersey).

I used the Ursack in Montana this year on the CDT, but in fact was required to borrow a bear can anyway in Glacier national park and I didn't feel that the Ursack was really needed elsewhere on the trail. I did carry an Ursack on the PCT after I got rid of my plastic bear can north of the Sierras. Bottom line is that, depending on how you deal with food relative to what most thru-hikers do, an Ursack might be useful, but perhaps more likely you won't find it to be worth the ~8 oz weight on the other major thru-hiking trails. Of course YMMV on this.

As always, the more clear you are on where and when you plan to use a piece of gear like this, the more useful the comments you might get back in return ...

bigcranky
11-20-2011, 22:49
We own two of the green Ursacks from ~2004. I use one on every hike. The total weight of around 6 ounces with the OP odorproof liner bag compares pretty favorably with the total weight of a "bear bag" system (bag, rope, carabiner, etc.), except for one or two truly UL systems out there.

I never have to worry about my food. In a shelter, I can hang it from a nail inside, or from cables or a bear pole outside, and nothing gets my food. I watched a full grown raccoon try for ten or fifteen minutes on a bear pole in SNP, then he moved on to someone else's (easier) bag. (He ignored us yelling and throwing things.) In the woods, just tie it to the base of a tree about 50 feet from the tent. No more throwing ropes or getting a bear bag stuck in a tree. (Yeah, did that.)

Now, all that said, I'm not worried about bears -- I use the Ursack to keep smaller critters out. If I were hiking in serious bear territory, like Yosemite, I'd use a real bear canister. But for hiking around here, it's easy to use and works well.

SCRUB HIKER
11-28-2011, 18:24
I used the Ursack Minor (intended to be rodent-proof but not bear-proof) for my thru-hike this year and never had an animal get into my food bag. I'd hang it on cables or poles when they were available, but otherwise I kept it in the vestibule of my tent at night. I was one of the few people I knew who never had a rodent incident.

Ditto to what bigcranky said about serious bear territory like Yosemite--a real bear canister is your best bet there, plus it makes for a great camp stool.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2012, 23:19
Ursack is good. Especially if one uses the B.E.A.R. bag hanging system

BrianLe
06-06-2012, 12:14
"Ursack is good. Especially if one uses the B.E.A.R. bag hanging system"

The point of the Ursack is that you don't have to hang it, just tie to a tree trunk or thick branch.

The reason that I suggest an ursack to most folks in areas where bears are an issue is that so few people do a decent job of hanging food in the real world --- I've seen lots and lots of pathetic examples of hanging food. Black bears evolved to climb trees, and they're smart, social creatures. Better to get an Ursack and use it the way the manufacturer recommends.

To be clear, I'm not saying that it's bad to hang an ursack, just that IMO it sort of defeats the purpose. If you really can do a consistently good job at hanging your food high enough up and far enough out on a limb, and you're happy doing so, then save yourself the 8 oz or so of an Ursack and just use a really light bag.

nehiker
06-06-2012, 13:11
I have owned a green Ursack for quite a few years. I like the convenience of it, but am now thinking of moving on to bear bagging instead (on the east coast). It weighs half a pound dry and is not waterproof; once it gets thoroughly soaked, I am sure it can get up close to a pound in weight.

I also owned the OP plastic liner for some of the time, but I had trouble sealing it and it did not take too long for it to get torn (maybe a couple of dozen times). In any case, the liner (which goes inside of the bag) does nothing to keep the ursack from getting soaked.

How much does Ursack Minor weigh, dry and wet? I know the company says it won't absorb water, but I find this hard to believe. Is it the same size as the standard Ursack?

Razorback
06-06-2012, 14:19
The Ursack Minor weighs about 5 and a half ounces, and has the same dimensions as the regular Ursack.

QiWiz
06-06-2012, 14:32
+ 1 on Ursack Minor for AT. Do not need the regular Ursack, which is heavier, unless you don't want to hang your food in areas where there have been bear troubles. You need critter protection, it is perfect for that.

daddytwosticks
06-06-2012, 15:34
The Ursack Minor weighs about 5 and a half ounces, and has the same dimensions as the regular Ursack. I have one of the newer yellow ones. I may be wrong but mine weights less than this. I'm thinking 3 or 4 ounces. :)

BigHodag
06-06-2012, 22:50
I have the new white UrSack. I calculated I spent at least 2 hours ever summer bear bagging. Wife gave me an UrSack for Christmas. I just tie it to a tree at about chest level and spend the time regained having another cup of tea and enjoying the sunset. Vacation time is precious.

I don't know if it has worked or not, but every morning my food bag was still there with all my goodies inside.

I just packed my UrSack with five days provisions this past Monday for my upcoming NY section hike. My UrSack also doubles as my Greyhound carry-on. I tie a figure 8 at the tend of the ropes and sling the UrSack over my shoulder.