View Full Version : New Tarptent Notch

FamilyGuy
11-20-2011, 22:40
Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Brilliance as always:

http://tarptent.com/notch.html

bamboo bob
11-20-2011, 23:05
I love Tarptents and Henry Shires. I've used the Squall and the Rainbow in various configurations. They are nice but the weight savings is traded off for less durability so they are really not for everyone. If you are not willing to baby them and take a lot of care with them you will end up with some unhappy times. I abuse my gear. I drop my pack, I fling it into the back of pick up trucks and I'm not picky about where I set up. Shires is great about making repairs and sending replacement parts on the trail. But for a a bit more weight you can avoid all that by picking something slightly more durable. Just saying.....

hambone5126
11-20-2011, 23:18
a double wall tent weighing in at 26 oz? pretty snazzy if you ask me. i thought i had tent search narrowed down to the contrail, but this looks like a hot setup. thanks for making my decision making that much harder familyguy

FamilyGuy
11-20-2011, 23:21
Hey Hambone, don't blame me! Heck, I was looking hard at the Stratosphire 1....now I have to look hard at the Notch.

That 26oz weight includes 6 easton 6" pegs.....

garlic08
11-20-2011, 23:45
The Notch looks tempting. I like that there aren't any hoop poles, my main beef with the Moment. The advantages I still see with my Contrail is using only one trekking pole for set up (what if one breaks, and I don't always bring two poles) and only four stakes. But still, it looks real nice.... Good work, Henry.

Franco
11-21-2011, 00:50
Hi Garlic
You came to mind when I was comparing the Contrail to this one.
As you know I love the compact stored size and weight of the Contrail but I tend to pitch for view rather than weather.
Having used the Scarp and recently the SS2 I have come to "want" two entry points .
For example on my last night, last week, I pitched one door into the weather side so I had a view (well for a short period of time...) from the other side.
The Notch is about the same weight and stored size as the Contrail (a couple of inches longer) and I use two poles anyway so it may just become my new favourite shelter.
BTW, it isn't replacing the Contrail.
You have already listed some of the reasons (some also prefer front entry) another is the price point .

I like that there aren't any hoop poles, my main beef with the Moment
That is really how it came about. After the long gestation period for the StratoSpires the question "why not a Moment using trekking poles" came up.
But then again not everyone likes using trekking poles...
Franco

Kerosene
11-21-2011, 14:11
Looks like lots of options with the Notch. Cool!

q-tip
11-22-2011, 12:18
I have used the Contrail for 1,000 mi.. excellent. The Notch looks great, but $259, OUCH. If I had to buy one tent, this looks like the one.

stranger
11-22-2011, 17:31
I must say this looks like a great design...it's nice to see some side entry tents come out these days, I mean do we really need another shelter with the poles smack dead in the middle of your entrance! This one might bring me back into the Tarptent camp...looks brilliant. Well done!

stranger
11-22-2011, 17:33
I have used the Contrail for 1,000 mi.. excellent. The Notch looks great, but $259, OUCH. If I had to buy one tent, this looks like the one.

$260 for a ultralight, tiny cottage company tent is peanuts. Lighthearts run $245 and up, SMD $235 and up, etc...

Big Dawg
11-23-2011, 05:00
and I thought I was done w/ gear purchases,,,,, dang it Henry

Love my Moment, but have been longing for a "Moment style" tent that allows me to use my hiking poles. Voila,, the Notch!! Excellent design Henry. How about a small discount for cronic tarptent purchasers,, lol.

Tinker
11-23-2011, 19:10
The Notch looks tempting. I like that there aren't any hoop poles, my main beef with the Moment. The advantages I still see with my Contrail is using only one trekking pole for set up (what if one breaks, and I don't always bring two poles) and only four stakes. But still, it looks real nice.... Good work, Henry.

From what I've learned about tent designs, it will be more of a flapper in high winds than the Moment (a friend has one - and, yes, I have the best friends money can buy ;)). The curve at the apex of the Moment should move air more smoothly over the fabric than the flat top of the Notch.

"Notch" was an expletive used by the Barefoot Sisters on their SOBO hike, due to the trouble that they had with weather and lack of views in New Hampshire. "Notch this!" :D

sandylwes
11-27-2011, 19:48
I love my Moment, but the Notch does look great too!!!