PDA

View Full Version : Merrell Barefoot

Todd Tarbox
11-21-2011, 01:36
Just was wondering how many if any have use barefoot shoes as main hiking shoes on the AT? I have had mine for a while now and love them. I do everything in them hiking, running, discgolf, if im outside they are on my feet!

Shiraz-mataz
11-21-2011, 07:27
I saw the Merrell Barefoot shoes in the store a few weeks ago. Didn't try them on but they "seemed" stiff and cramped - compared to my VFF's.

Todd Tarbox
11-21-2011, 07:48
I had a pair of VFF but they only lasted a month before the big toe ripped at the seams. Also I was always picking sticks, grass, and weeds out of my toes. I returned them for the Merrells and have been very happy.

moytoy
11-21-2011, 08:14
Any idea how long a shoe of this type last on the trail.

Todd Tarbox
11-21-2011, 12:04
Any idea how long a shoe of this type last on the trail. That's what I'm trying to figure out? I have a couple hundred miles on mine.

Shutterbug
11-21-2011, 13:14
Just was wondering how many if any have use barefoot shoes as main hiking shoes on the AT? I have had mine for a while now and love them. I do everything in them hiking, running, discgolf, if im outside they are on my feet! My wife has a a pair of barefoot shoes, but she uses them as camp shoes. She doesn't wear them on the trail.

SawnieRobertson
11-21-2011, 13:56
So someone please rate the barefoot offerings when used for long walks on concrete sidewalks.--Kinnickinic

Mismatch
11-25-2011, 22:11
I wore a pair of VFF for about 150-200 miles on my thru-hike and loved them, but road walks and gravel were rough! I know Fern Toe wore them the entire way and went through four pairs, but one already had use when she started out.

Sandy of PA
11-25-2011, 22:33
I have been "testing" a pair of New Balance minimus and a pair of Merrell pace gloves and so far my feet like the Merrells best. At less than 11 ozs a pair I might even take a spare for my 430 mile section of VA next year.

Cosmic_American
11-26-2011, 01:35
I've been wearing the trail gloves for the past few months and since I've gotten them they're the only shoes I wear. Most of the miles I've put in have been on trails while running and they are incredibly comfortable and do a good job of protecting your feet, but the tread has begun to wear on the outer ball of my soul after only a few hundred miles on them. Unless I find something better I will wear them for my planned 2013 thru.

Tabasco
11-26-2011, 12:46
Before I bought my Trail Gloves, I wore Teva sandals every day. Now, the only show I wear is my Trail Gloves. Absolutely love them. I put on a pair of "normal" shoes and they felt incredibly weird.

Tinker
11-26-2011, 12:52
I think the idea is to give some sense as to how the Merrell Barefoot shoes work on the trail, with a pack (over long distances).

I would guess that they would be fine for smooth trails, but I'd be very careful wearing them through Pa. and NJ because of the sometimes non-stop rocks. I bruised my feet in NJ wearing Asics trail runners, which have more padding than the new "barefoot" minimalist shoes. I probably won't go running out to buy some, because at my weight (220 lbs.), even with a light pack (25 lb./wk. roughly), impact protection is as important as weight and traction. A good toe bumper is a definite plus in Pa. NJ.