PDA

View Full Version : Convince me not to but a Lunar Duo...

Chubbs4U
11-21-2011, 22:25
Looking for a 2 person tent, me and the lady, and been looking at the Duo for a while. Now that it's a few dollars cheaper, I'm about to bite. I have the single rainbow already. Only thing I'm really worried about is the single wall. What's your thoughts?

FamilyGuy
11-21-2011, 22:41
Do you use trekking poles? If so, consider the Tarptent Stratosphire 2. Double walled and sets up fly first.

Chubbs4U
11-22-2011, 00:21
Will look into it.

Lando11
11-22-2011, 01:30
I used a lunar solo for about 1000 miles this year on the AT, and the duo isn't a whole lot different, just larger and sets up with 2 poles. i saw a guy this year who used the duo, and it was HUGE! the single wall won't keep you 100% dry in driving rain though. pretty universal with any single walled tent though...you will be misted in any kind of steady-heavy rain. it was never that bad for me though, and i could sleep though it pretty well. you have to think; is the weight saving worth the risk of maybe being a little damp in a big rain storm? I think so, but others dont and will always carry a heavier double walled tent

Chubbs4U
11-22-2011, 02:27
Looked at the Stratosphire and it has compares very similar to the Duo. I do like the fact that its double wall. I didnt know that 6 moon has a sale this time every year, does TT do this also? Every penny counts. Does anyone have the Stratosphire2?

10-K
11-22-2011, 08:47
Lunar Duo = Best overall tent I own.

I currently have the following tents and if I had to get rid of all of them but one I'd keep the Duo.

Rainbow
Lunar Solo
Lunar Duo
LH Solo cuben

(have owned several other tents and have sold them)

Mags
11-22-2011, 11:29
I wrote a review of the Lunar Duo. It is fiance' approved! That speaks volumes in itself. :D

http://www.pmags.com/gear-review-six-moon-designs-lunar-duo

FamilyGuy
11-22-2011, 12:00
The SS2 is just shipping now. What is key about the design, and confirmed by the diagrams on the site, is that it is not a simple A-frame like the Duo and in fact, is a modified Mid design that will take wind and even a little snow better than a simple A-frame. It is like the fly is offset from the inner tent providing structure at each corner (I know that I am not explaining myself very well). Notice the end struts?

Regarding a sale - I did buy a Contrail @ 20% off from Tarptent about 3 years ago just before Christmas. I am not sure if Henry has season sales, however.

10-K
11-22-2011, 12:09
The SS2 is just shipping now. What is key about the design, and confirmed by the diagrams on the site, is that it is not a simple A-frame like the Duo and in fact, is a modified Mid design that will take wind and even a little snow better than a simple A-frame. It is like the fly is offset from the inner tent providing structure at each corner (I know that I am not explaining myself very well). Notice the end struts?

Regarding a sale - I did buy a Contrail @ 20% off from Tarptent about 3 years ago just before Christmas. I am not sure if Henry has season sales, however.

Is the SS2 a 4 season tent?

Just for comparison, I was north of DWG with my Duo and got a foot of snow and serious winds (30+ mph at a minimum) and it didn't phase the Duo at all.

Pitching it really good (and the Solo especially) takes some practice but once you get it down it's a very stable design.

Thrasher
11-22-2011, 12:26
It's a great tent. I would not recommend a ground cover, it seems to make the floor slide around more. I wasted my money on those easton stakes too, they broke first time using them in the yard to seam seal the tent.
It's a big tent and sometimes hard to find enough room to pitch it, but that doesn't happen to often. I've never really had a problem with misting.
I would like to try the haven tarp and net tent personally, but I think it is a little smaller.

Chubbs4U
11-22-2011, 13:00
Anyone have both?

The SS@ says 3-4 seasons.

FamilyGuy
11-22-2011, 13:09
Is the SS2 a 4 season tent?

Just for comparison, I was north of DWG with my Duo and got a foot of snow and serious winds (30+ mph at a minimum) and it didn't phase the Duo at all.

Pitching it really good (and the Solo especially) takes some practice but once you get it down it's a very stable design.

No, but it is a 3+ season shelter, not a 2 season shelter.

A foot of snow, eh? On the canopy? ; )

I believe (as do others) that when one claims a 30 MPH wind, they are really experiencing something considerably less.

Here is a Hilleberg Soulo being set up in 50 MPH sustained winds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLligRPO4tU&feature=player_embedded

Here is a Vaude Lizard @ 40 MPH sustained winds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjL0WRUZqTU&feature=player_embedded

Gusts are one thing - sustained wind quite another.

Did you have a Kestral device to measure wind speed?

10-K
11-22-2011, 13:33
Nope, I don't carry a wind speed measuring device. But, I lived on the coast of NC for 20 years and have been through many tropical storms and hurricanes - I know what wind is......

As for sustained wind speeds vs gusts - I'm sure the gusts were in excess of 30 mph at times. Like in virtually every storm, there were lulls. It was a winter snowstorm, if you've seen one you know what I'm talking about

I know what a foot of snow is. And my Lunar Duo was pitched while it fell and it held up exceptionally well. Fortunately for me, I was able to make it to DWG before the 2nd foot of snow fell. This was December before last when DC had the big blizzard.

Anyway, I stand by my original point: The Duo can take a beating and maintain a good pitch.

I would never, ever say, "Don't buy the Duo because it sucks in a storm." And I certainly would not say that the Duo is not capable of handling typical AT weather as good as any other tent.

Even better, the Duo has never once misted on me. My TT had that issue until I coated it with goo-spray.

10-K
11-22-2011, 13:58
BTW, I didn't just sit there and let a foot of snow pile up on the canopy.. I did what anybody would do (presumably even someone with an SS2) and tapped the canopy from time to time to keep the snow knocked off as much as possible.

FamilyGuy
11-22-2011, 14:14
BTW, I didn't just sit there and let a foot of snow pile up on the canopy.. I did what anybody would do (presumably even someone with an SS2) and tapped the canopy from time to time to keep the snow knocked off as much as possible.

That is what I thought; a bit of an embellishment given even the tapping was taking place from within the shelter. 2", 12", close enough. No problem, we are all guilty of that.

Regarding the SS2 - it isn't a box and has varying slope so I suspect the snow would slide off more easily. The additional struts might help as well.

10-K
11-22-2011, 14:20
If you read my original message my exact words were: "Just for comparison, I was north of DWG with my Duo and got a foot of snow and serious winds...."

I did not say, "I let a foot of snow pile up on the canopy."

Or are you saying you don't think it's possible a foot of snow fell while my tent was pitched.

....or did you think I meant I just sat in my tent and did an experiment to see if the Duo could support a foot of snow?

What I said is what I meant... "I was north of DWG with my Duo and got a foot of snow and serious winds (30+ mph at a minimum) and it didn't phase the Duo at all."

Do you have a problem with that or is it just a reading comprehension issue?

FamilyGuy
11-22-2011, 14:27
I asked this in a previous post:

"A foot of snow, eh? On the canopy?"

You did not dispute my interpretation of what you had previously written. Instead, you responded with,

"I know what a foot of snow is. And my Lunar Duo was pitched while it fell and it held up exceptionally well."

I don't think reading comprehension is the issue here, but instead you might be inclined to clarify your posts and responses.

Especially for the OP.

bigcranky
11-22-2011, 14:33
Love our Lunar Duo. The roomiest 2-person backpacking tent I have ever used. Has held up to heavy winds and rain numerous times, with us dry and warm inside.

10-K
11-22-2011, 14:33
Stop it... I'm still tweaking my message. :)

No problem, I like my Duo... and I find it stormworthy enough for the AT.

FWIW, I'm feeling a bit testy these days from the side effects of the medications I'm taking, I apologize for taking it this far and starting a mini-pissing contest. It's not my normal MO.

FamilyGuy
11-22-2011, 14:54
10-K,

I appreciate your perspective, esp on the Lightheart Cuben Solo so I DO read your posts. I was honestly just looking for clarification.

Let me buy you a pint. :banana

corialice81
11-22-2011, 15:02
I carried the Lunar solo along the AT (09) and the LT (11) and it held up just fine to all conditions except the free standing aspect when it came to tent platforms...still haven't figured that one out yet. So maybe that is something you might want to think about as well. (the free standing aspect)

Chubbs4U
11-23-2011, 15:55
Would like to hear from someone who has a SS2? Really tough decision but I could be making more of it than I need to.

Chubbs4U
11-26-2011, 14:07
Sorry but bump. Im leaning towards the SS2 and I know they just recently shipped, anyone get theirs yet and thoughts?

Chubbs4U
01-24-2012, 16:52
Looks like they have "revamped" their Duo.

rp1790
01-24-2012, 21:36
I had one of these for two months on the trail and it really is a luxury, all that room. Very easy to setup, the only downside is that I wouldn't count on staying dry. Condensation and misting are issues.

Ohio Grown
01-29-2012, 18:33
Here's a review someone wrote up cooparing the Lunar Duo, Lightheart Duo, and the Tarptent Double Rainbow. http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/