PDA

View Full Version : 11/19/11 - Cheshire to Saddleball, No Snow, Clear Skies; And A Shelter Question

Driver8
11-22-2011, 02:00
Hiked from Outlook Avenue in Cheshire to summit of Saddle Ball and back Saturday. Saw only two other hikers and almost no snow - only in the shade of the thickest clusters of fir trees, both at 2300' or so in the half mile south of Old Adams Road and above 3150' atop Saddle Ball, and there only a dusting. It was a nice clear day with lots of long views. Windy but not especially cold. Probably 45* F atop Saddleball at 2:15 pm, about 55 in the valley at 4:30.

One question: about half a mile from the Reynolds Rock/Outlook Ave trailhead, a bit after the power line cut NOBO, where the trail turns left to begin the first significant ascent, I noticed what looked like a shelter to the north of the trail (i.e., to the right as the trail turns left). Any word on this? Is it a hunters' cabin, or is it a shelter for the AT or Greylock Reservation which happens not to be marked on AT maps or on the Mass DCR's? If a Greylock shelter, it would not be the only one not marked on DCR's maps - there's one at Stony Ledge, too, also unmarked by DCR maps.

Any clues on this? It was of more than passing interest Saturday, as I saw this shelter shortly after passing a thru-hiker headed NOBO filling in his last 100 mile game. It was 4:25 pm or so and getting dark in the shadows of the Greylock Range. I almost turned and chased the guy, Dan, down to point it out to him - he had a pretty strong half-mile climb ahead of him before setting up stealth camp atop the ridge, and if I'd been confident this was a hiker shelter, I'd've let him know so he had this easier choice. As it was, I didn't, and just headed to my car. I'm sure Dan ended up fine, but I'd have loved to have been able to help him if this were indeed a shelter for hikers.

Cosmo
11-22-2011, 21:59
I think that structure is on private property adjacent to the state land. The boundary is that old fence line parallel to the trail before the left turn. On the right, northbound. If you wander around in that area you'll come across some blue boundary blazes. It's really hard to see the thing when the leaves are still on the trees.

Cosmo

Driver8
11-24-2011, 02:10
It did look like it might be on private property, but it also looked more than a little like that "ghost" shelter on Stony Ledge. Probably best to steer clear - thanks for the feedback.

I really enjoyed the ravine to the left/south of that next half-mile climb from that southward bend in the trail - very pretty, and quite steep-sided. Reminded me of Sages. Have you had the chance, Cosmo, to hike around in there, whether on Greylock Road or otherwise? It definitely stirred my interest. Wouldn't surprise me if there were a bear or two likes to hang out in there.

Cosmo
11-24-2011, 13:19
That's Kitchen Brook. Is accessible via a road that leads right off of West Mtn Rd between Cheshire and Lanesborough. I think it's private land in a few places, but I've see a number of people down there before. The road eventually hooks up with Old Adams Rd, down the hill from Jones' Nose parking area, but I think you need a pretty rugged vehicle to get all the way through from Cheshire.

Cosmo

Driver8
11-25-2011, 03:54
That's Kitchen Brook. Is accessible via a road that leads right off of West Mtn Rd between Cheshire and Lanesborough. I think it's private land in a few places, but I've see a number of people down there before. The road eventually hooks up with Old Adams Rd, down the hill from Jones' Nose parking area, but I think you need a pretty rugged vehicle to get all the way through from Cheshire.

Yeah, I'd want to hike it, not drive it - it's called Greylock Road on the maps I've seen. The road and the brook look to make for very interesting hiking. Will have to take it on sometime - maybe up the brook as far as possible and back down the road for a loop. Might be fun in one day to do that look and then do Bellows Pipe to Greylock Summit, then back down via AT and the Bernard Farm trail.