PDA

View Full Version : I got the call today...

hikerjohnd
03-05-2005, 12:26
I announced that I wanted to hike the AT and began seriously planniing in 1993. As you all know, plans change and here 12 years later I am finally going. My parents have been a part of the planning from the beginning, so the trip is NOT a new concept for them.

I leave for the first leg on Thursday - and mom called this morning. "Are you going with a group of people? What if you fall off a mountain? What about bears?" The call went on for an hour (at least!) and finally I reassured her that everything would be fine. I'm leaving her a copy of Bil Irwin's book to read while I'm gone - I figure if she reads about a blind guy making it, then she won't worry so much about me.

I just never expected, after all the planning and discussions, that she would wait until the last minute (or near enough) to voice concerns! Oh well! :)

RagingHampster
03-05-2005, 13:21
Thats awesome. I can't wait until the day I'm ready. I don't think I have the mental dedication yet.

Good luck! :clap

Doctari
03-05-2005, 13:36
Awesome!! I am so jealous, and happy for you at the same time.

Show Mom this site, (or tell her about it once you are safely hiking :) ) we will do our best to reassure her that you are safer than most anywhere else on the planet.

Only 14.5 years till I get to hike the AT end to end. Sigh.

Doctari.

BookBurner
03-05-2005, 15:48
Just wait until the night before you leave. That's when my mom pulled out the big guns and tearfully asked "How can you do this to me?"

Just give your parents a hug, jump in the car, and head for Springer Mtn. By Harpers Ferry, they'll be on board with the adventure!

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com