PDA

View Full Version : And another one hits the trail...

The Cleaner
11-22-2011, 11:54
Just read on the Google newspage that a Flagstaff woman is starting a thru in 9 days,for charity of course.I thought that someone here might be able to copy&paste a link so the comments can begin....

Lone Wolf
11-22-2011, 11:59
nothin' wrong with walkin' for a charity as long as every dime raised goes to that charity and none of it is used by the walker

Doc Mike
11-22-2011, 13:07
http://northernarizonanews.com/blog/2011/11/21/flagstaff-woman-plans-to-hike-appalachian-trail-for-charity/

Actually fund raising ends in a week. Original version had a mistake in it. The hike starts in march and "every penny" goes to charity. I wish her the very best, on the first thing on her bucket list.

The Cleaner
11-22-2011, 13:38
I knew something wasn't right in the news story.Some people may think that she's starting her hike in 9 days.....

bamboo bob
11-22-2011, 17:29
Says she has raised $890 of $4000 she needs for the trip but it also says all money will go to the charity. So maybe it is worth while and maybe its charity after hiking expenses. Not clear which.

Slo-go'en
11-22-2011, 17:42
Says she has raised $890 of $4000 she needs for the trip but it also says all money will go to the charity. So maybe it is worth while and maybe its charity after hiking expenses. Not clear which.

Yea, that had me scratching my head too. Maybe they ment to say that she wants to rise $4K from the trip for the charity.

kayak karl
11-22-2011, 18:19
"and some have pledged to donate a dollar for every mile that Martens hikes." doesn't just one pledge like this surpass $890 ?
i think i'm missing something.
but then this "“Every penny donated is going to the shelter, so it really serves a dual purpose of pursuing her dream and being a major fundraising opportunity for the shelter,” Paine said."
are they collecting TWO funds?

Lion King
11-22-2011, 22:18
I try to tell people who've contacted me personally about hiking info or other things that the best way to hike for a charity is to have a link for them or when you do talks or presentations tell them to donate directly to the charity, and if they want to let you know or tell the charity you inspired them good, but collecting the money yourself is an issue, even if you are straight and honest, people will question you.

So, yeah, donate directly or have a link that goes to the charity, it will clear up a lot of the questions.

Pages
01-03-2012, 15:22
she also has a donation button on the left side of her page asking for separate donations for gear, food etc:

http://hikeforhomeless.wordpress.com/

Alligator
01-03-2012, 15:37
Sorry but threads about charity hikes have to involve trail related charities. Comments have a tendency to get out of hand.