PDA

View Full Version : Sea to Summit TrekIII Sleeping bag

B-Rabbit
11-22-2011, 12:00
I am undecided if I want a quilt or sleeping bag so I thought this might be a good combination. Does anyone have experience with these bags made by Sea to Summit?

juma
11-22-2011, 14:13
looking at the specs, I'd say its gonna be a fairly tight fitting bag.

B-Rabbit
11-22-2011, 14:25
Im looking for a good bag/quilt for around $300 with the sales that are going on right now. There are soooo many options. It's hard to compare weight to fill to rating and so forth... Anyone have suggestions?? I was looking at the Montbell Spiral Down Hugger 15 but it's close to 3lbs and has zero water resistance apparently.

sir limpsalot
11-22-2011, 22:12
I'm happy with this bag for my wife....it is extremely well thought-out. It is sturdy and roomy. We take section hikes and she hates a fussy product. As far as a long distance hike... It's kinda bulky compressed down and may be slightly overbuilt for a through hike. Check western mountaineering...good bags without too much extraneous stuff (quite literal on temp ratings as well). Check for a bag with continuous baffle that you can use in varying temps by shaking the down over or under you to get more or less warmth. Look into the therm-a-rest xlite sleep systems as well, seems kinda like what your going after. Good luck!

Tinker
11-22-2011, 23:55
Im looking for a good bag/quilt for around $300 with the sales that are going on right now. There are soooo many options. It's hard to compare weight to fill to rating and so forth... Anyone have suggestions?? I was looking at the Montbell Spiral Down Hugger 15 but it's close to 3lbs and has zero water resistance apparently.

Fwiw, bags with water resistant shells don't breathe as well as plain nylon shells. They will hold more of your body's moisture and take longer to dry (to dry them you have to turn them inside out, to expose the non-water resistant liner). This, of course, is for line drying. There are several water repellant sprays on the market which help a down bag shed a drop or two. If you're concerned about your bag getting wet you should improve your shelter or buy a bivy to use (especially if you use a tarp as your shelter).

MamaBear
11-23-2011, 10:33
I have one of these bags and use it for summer trips in the Whites. While there are many issues to address when considering a bag, I will comment on my family's experience with it. With the separate zipper for the foot box, it does convert nicely into a quilt if you would rather sleep under it more like a quilt rather than be cocooned in a sleeping bag. My son and I took this bag with us for an overnight trip to Kinsman Pond Shelter/Tentsite back in July, and we opened it up and shared it like quilt. Worked well since it was warm enough to use it that way and was nice to only have to carry one sleeping bag. Both my son and husband have used it on separate trips as a sleeping bag in temps below the bag rating (40 degrees, I think) and were cozy. As far as size, my son is 10, so he's not that big yet and my husband is almost 6ft and weighs around 200lbs and the bag worked for both. YMMV depending on how warm you sleep, your size, etc., etc.

B-Rabbit
11-23-2011, 11:11
Thank you all for the post.. Still undecided on a bag, but I might just bite the bullet and go with a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag. I decided that the Sea to Summit was just too heavy. I have never used a quilt and I would hate to find out Im not a fan on the beginning of my thru. I think ill stick to what Im used to and go with a mummy. I just wish I could find something that I could use the whole trip. A full or 3/4 zip would be nice.

Creek Dancer
11-23-2011, 11:32
Check out the Marmot Helium down bag. Rated to 15 degrees, 850 fill, full zipper, packs down nicely and 2 lbs. 2 oz. On sale now at backcountry.com.

B-Rabbit
11-23-2011, 11:53
Yeah, had my eye on the Helium too. It looks pretty awesome!

Creek Dancer
11-23-2011, 12:06
Yeah, had my eye on the Helium too. It looks pretty awesome!

I have had this bag for several years and it is awesome! I am a cold sleeper and this bag keeps me toasty warm down to about 20 degrees. I use a Big Agnes insulated pad.

B-Rabbit
11-23-2011, 21:50
Just bought the Marmot Helium 15 degree long bag for $280.00!

Creek Dancer
11-23-2011, 23:33
Just bought the Marmot Helium 15 degree long bag for $280.00!

Nice price! And congrats on your choice. I am sure you will love this bag.