PDA

View Full Version : Franklin, NC

Easyhiker
12-12-2002, 07:10
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Franklin, NC

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories, would you suggest a maildrop here?

Future hikers - any questions?

Related Links: ?

Stats: ?

zipcode - 28734

stranger
12-12-2002, 09:03
Eat at the Normandie Restaurant if it's still around, you can lose your mind for like $8. In 95 we packed some treats up to Siler Bald from town and slept out under the stars. One of the best nights of my life while hiking.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2002, 09:49
Great town! Easy hitch in. Trail club members will give you a ride back out. There is a list of shuttlers at the Franklin motel where most hikers stay. All you can eat at the Western Sizzler Steak House. Restaurants, laundry, big grocery real close to motel. Library has 8 computers.

Jumpstart
12-15-2002, 12:04
Franklin was a terrific little town, really friendly, although the Post office has relocated and is now about a mile from the Franklin Motel. The motel was under new management this year and really picked our brains as to how to make it more hiker-friendly and what kind of accomodations we were looking for. Really nice folks.

Jaybird
07-10-2003, 11:18
EasyHiker:

I'm with Jumpstart & Lone Wolf on singin' the praises of Franklin,NC as a "hiker friendly" town.

My hike partner: "Jigsaw" & I, hitched into Franklin from Winding Stair Gap (US64) & stayed the night @ the Franklin Motel (just 10 miles from the trail).

had Pizza delivered right to the room (it was raining & we were "Dawg-tarred") & the folks that run the motel were friendly & helpful with info. & phone numbers for local shuttles back to the trail.

THe nite we stayed there ...there were 6 other rooms with hikers in them. Great little town.

jaybird
www.trailjournals.com/JAYBIRDandJIGSAW

Former Easy
12-25-2003, 05:11
I went into this town also and stayed at the Franklin Motel. I had filmed developed and sent home from this town at a one hour photo. This town also has an outfitter and everything a hiker needs. The hitch in was also very easy.
its a bit of a walk to the library and post office from the Franklin Motel, but is an easier walk than if you stayed at the 8. We had a little party of about five of us and got **** faced at the Franklin Motel outside the rooms on the patio, it was a lot of fun and the new owner is very receptive to hikers and wants to please.