PDA

View Full Version : Tent/Sleeping Bag Question...

tat44too
11-22-2011, 17:01
I've read here on WB that I need to try out my gear so I know what works for me on my thru hike. I've also read that the only way to prepare for a 2175 mile hike, is to go on a 2175 mile hike. I'm asking for help on two pieces of gear because what works tromping around NW Arkansas, may or may not work on the AT. My info is this: I'm 6'4", 'bout 208lbs, side sleeper, cold sleeper, not interested in a hammock, tried a MSR Hubba (too narrow) and I'd prefer to use the equipment I have but 'might' try something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gear I own...
Tents:
Marmot Eos 1P 3lb 3oz (love it)
Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker 1P 24oz (I haven't figured out the pitching yet, but kinda flimsy so far)
Sierra Designs Lightyear 1P (not high on the front entry part, especially in rain)
Sleeping Bags:
Marmot Helium MemBrain 15 850 down 2lb 9oz (love it)
TNF Blue Kazoo 15 600 down 3lb 0oz (kinda cold below 30 degrees)
TNF Cats Meow 20 synthetic 2lb 15oz (nice bag but kinda bulky)
TNF Hightail 15 850 down 2lb 2oz (love it, especially the zippered footbox for venting)
I'm planning on going NOBO, starting the first week in April but could change to SOBO, starting in June. Haven't firmly decided yet.
Thank ya'll muchly...

HeartFire
11-22-2011, 21:58
You need to look at the LightHeart SoLong 6 www.lightheartgear.com It will fit your 6'4" self with no problem. I designed it to fit a 6'8" person. Depending on the options you choose , about 1 lb 11 oz
Judy AKA HeartFire
LightHeart Gear

tat44too
11-22-2011, 22:03
You need to look at the LightHeart SoLong 6 www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com) It will fit your 6'4" self with no problem. I designed it to fit a 6'8" person. Depending on the options you choose , about 1 lb 11 oz
Judy AKA HeartFire
LightHeart Gear

Thank'ya Ma'am, I'll check it out...

q-tip
11-23-2011, 13:08
New Tarptent Notch-1P-28 oz. and I have 2 Western Mountaineering down bags--great investment for life....

lunatic
11-23-2011, 14:18
I'd suggest continuing to practice setting up the SMD Skyscape, if the size works for you. It took me a while to get the setup correct on my SMD Lunar Solo but once I figured it out, I never had any problems with it (too bad I was already a week and a half into my thru hike).
If you're a cold sleeper starting NOBO in April, your TNF Hightail will work well for a while, but eventually you will probably want to switch to something lighter like 30 or 35. Just make sure you have an appropriate pad if you're a side sleeper; it took me a while to figure it out and my hips paid the price. :)

pyroman53
11-23-2011, 14:25
The helium has been mentioned by many as a great bag. Been used on long distance hikes with great success. I'd defintiely use it, at least until time to switch to something for warmer months. By then, you'll know what to do.
I don't know the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker but I looked it up and it looks like a good tent that would fit the needs of a thru hike. If it doesn't fit your needs, you can change along the way.
That's what I'd use if I had your gear to choose from.

tat44too
11-23-2011, 15:00
New Tarptent Notch-1P-28 oz. and I have 2 Western Mountaineering down bags--great investment for life....

Thank'ya q-tip, I appreciate your advice...

tat44too
11-23-2011, 15:03
I'd suggest continuing to practice setting up the SMD Skyscape, if the size works for you. It took me a while to get the setup correct on my SMD Lunar Solo but once I figured it out, I never had any problems with it (too bad I was already a week and a half into my thru hike).
If you're a cold sleeper starting NOBO in April, your TNF Hightail will work well for a while, but eventually you will probably want to switch to something lighter like 30 or 35. Just make sure you have an appropriate pad if you're a side sleeper; it took me a while to figure it out and my hips paid the price. :)

Thank'ya lunatic, btw what pad did you use? I've got a Big Agnes Air Core three quarter length, and a Thermarest Ridgerest three quarter length. I appreciate your help...

tat44too
11-23-2011, 15:05
The helium has been mentioned by many as a great bag. Been used on long distance hikes with great success. I'd defintiely use it, at least until time to switch to something for warmer months. By then, you'll know what to do.
I don't know the Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker but I looked it up and it looks like a good tent that would fit the needs of a thru hike. If it doesn't fit your needs, you can change along the way.
That's what I'd use if I had your gear to choose from.

Thanks a million pyroman53, I appreciate your help...

Tinker
11-23-2011, 16:16
If you go with an inflatable pad it would be a good idea to carry a torso length closed cell foam pad as well. A flat air mat isn't worth its weight. Having a backup to get you through the night is not a bad idea.
An insulated air mat is obviously more cushy than almost any other pad, but you lose the advantage in the summer of having a cooler pad than the Thermarest/closed cell crowd. In the summer you can put the closed cell shorty pad under the mattress in your torso area to minimize the chance of punctures.

tat44too
11-23-2011, 16:55
If you go with an inflatable pad it would be a good idea to carry a torso length closed cell foam pad as well. A flat air mat isn't worth its weight. Having a backup to get you through the night is not a bad idea.
An insulated air mat is obviously more cushy than almost any other pad, but you lose the advantage in the summer of having a cooler pad than the Thermarest/closed cell crowd. In the summer you can put the closed cell shorty pad under the mattress in your torso area to minimize the chance of punctures.

Thank'ya Tinker, I'll prolly just bring the Ridgerest, I've already had to patch the Air Core. I appreciate your advice...

Tinker
11-23-2011, 17:17
Before you head out with the Ridgerest, make sure you can sleep at least a week on it (on a bare floor at home is a good place to practice). I took a closed cell foam pad down to Ga. in 2006, was miserable for the first three days. Then I picked up a discarded but new Ridgerest and used it with the ccf pad for the rest of the 9 days I strolled through Ga. I never got a good night's sleep.