PDA

View Full Version : regular vs. long -- Montbell

Megapixel
11-22-2011, 17:23
Has anyone had success using a regular size montbell super stretch bag which is listed for up to 5'10" as a 6' tall person? I figure since it stretches you might be able to get by with it??? The long is more expensive, heavier, and goes up to 6'4"... since I'm 2" closer to the 5'10" spec i thought i might be able to go with it.

ChinMusic
11-22-2011, 17:45
I am right at 5'10" and it works well. I don't usually pull the bag over my head so if I were 6' it would work just as well. I would think that for the few times I want complete immersion (if 6') I could bent my knees just a bit.

For anything above freezing I def don't want my head in the bag anyway. I prefer to wear a balaclava or Buff.

My guess is you would get away with it.

Slo-go'en
11-22-2011, 17:46
The "stretch" is width wise, not length wise. You might get way with the shorter bag, but I think you'd be happer with the little extra room at the bottom of the bag.

bfayer
11-22-2011, 20:49
I am 6'2" and I think the long is almost too short. I have a Ul Supper Spiral Down Hugger #3 and a Super Spiral Burrow #0. I like to have a little room to put things in the bag with me to keep them warm.

Smooth & Wasabi
11-22-2011, 21:31
I have a long #3. At 6'1'' it fits me perfectly, I wouldn't go down. If you do, definately try one out from somewhere with a no ?s return policy.

bigcranky
11-22-2011, 22:07
My wife is 5-4 and uses two Montbell super stretch bags. Both are the Long length. She found the Regular a little short. YMMV.

ChinMusic
11-23-2011, 12:33
My wife is 5-4 and uses two Montbell super stretch bags. Both are the Long length. She found the Regular a little short. YMMV.

What the........

Does she like to put her pack in the foot box?

bigcranky
11-23-2011, 20:46
What the........

Does she like to put her pack in the foot box?

Nope. I'm just reporting her p.o.v. She found the regular size let her feet and head press against the ends of the bag. So she got the tall. Might be something to do with the stretchy stuff, dunno. But she used Western Mountaineering bags in the regular size and they were fine. Go figure.