PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst

Stir Fry
11-22-2011, 22:38
Just got my ULA Catalyst. I was wondering if anyone that has this pack has found the shock cord over the mesh on the back of the pack of any use. I saw it in the videos but just did not pay it any attentio0n. Now that I have the pack I just do not see the use. Not sure if I would trust it to hold anything. The mesh pocket seems adiquit to me.

Northern Lights
11-22-2011, 22:41
I stuffed all sorts of things in there, my water pump, food for the day, jacket etc and I found the shock cord kept everything in, except when I went ass over tea kettle one day. But the only thing that popped out was my pump.

Storm
11-22-2011, 22:44
You can use the cord to tighted the contents of the mesh pocket. I use mine to hang my socks on to dry. I have also tucked my raincoat behind the cords when mesh pocket was full and it was one of those on and off again days for a raincoat. JMHO

Stir Fry
11-22-2011, 22:49
So it more usfull in keeping things in the mesh pocket then for any thing else.

skinewmexico
11-23-2011, 02:06
So it more usfull in keeping things in the mesh pocket then for any thing else.

Bingo! We have a winner!

hunter121
11-23-2011, 04:18
Thanks for this post guys I was going through the same thing.
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpg

Tabasco
11-23-2011, 10:25
I clip a carabiner and my crocs to it. and also drying socks as previously mentioned.

ChinMusic
11-23-2011, 10:47
For times I carry a section of a Z-Rest, I place it under the lashing. It never moves.

Buffalo Skipper
11-23-2011, 10:54
I was out this past weekend and put my foam pad there. It never budged after nearly 30 miles of hiking.

For the record this was on a Circuit, not a Catalist, but the idea is still the same. Very functional for me.

hikingshoes
11-23-2011, 11:05
Just got my ULA Catalyst in this week. Im going to hike some this weekend to see how i like it. Don't know how much difference the Osprey is to the ULA but I'll see this week.

pyroman53
11-23-2011, 13:00
I didn't like how the shock cord made it harder to get into the pocket, so I removed the cord from the top loops, one on each side. This opened up the top for easier access, but I still have the option of rethreading it if need be and I can still hand my wet socks or a jacket using the remaining cord. For now, I like it better this way. I didn't see where it actually kept anything in, the elastic on the pocket seems to do a good enough job of that. The shock cord just made it harder for me to put things in.

For info on making the adjustment, refer to the old thread for how to operate the cord locks:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78078-removing-yellow-bottle-holders-on-ula-packs

Thrasher
11-23-2011, 15:05
I'm quite certain it's for your bag of chips.

tat44too
11-23-2011, 15:09
I'm quite certain it's for your bag of chips.

(lmao @ Thrasher, very funny...)

tat44too
11-23-2011, 15:38
I didn't like how the shock cord made it harder to get into the pocket, so I removed the cord from the top loops, one on each side. This opened up the top for easier access, but I still have the option of rethreading it if need be and I can still hand my wet socks or a jacket using the remaining cord. For now, I like it better this way. I didn't see where it actually kept anything in, the elastic on the pocket seems to do a good enough job of that. The shock cord just made it harder for me to put things in.

For info on making the adjustment, refer to the old thread for how to operate the cord locks:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78078-removing-yellow-bottle-holders-on-ula-packs

Thanks for posting this, I'm going to try this on my Catalyst. Great idea...

stranger
11-23-2011, 17:29
I stuffed all sorts of things in there, my water pump, food for the day, jacket etc and I found the shock cord kept everything in, except when I went ass over tea kettle one day. But the only thing that popped out was my pump.

I sometimes use the bungy for my crocs cause they weigh nothing and take up heaps of space...Northern Lights thanks for my new favorite saying, "ass over tea kettle"!

leaftye
11-23-2011, 17:42
It compresses the pack more, but I also use it to restrain my potty bottle and trowel.

Northern Lights
11-23-2011, 21:11
I sometimes use the bungy for my crocs cause they weigh nothing and take up heaps of space...Northern Lights thanks for my new favorite saying, "ass over tea kettle"!

You're welcome :)

sir limpsalot
11-24-2011, 13:10
I also use it to restrain my potty bottle and trowel.

Do they have a habit of getting into trouble?

Stir Fry
11-24-2011, 13:16
Now thats funny, I don't care who you are.

leaftye
11-25-2011, 05:04
Do they have a habit of getting into trouble?

I presume that they do before they do anything, so I calmly pull out my bottle of pepper spray and calmly hose them down point blank.

Seriously though, they flop around and make a racket. On windy days I've had that lose bottle swing around and smack me in the face. UNpleasant that is. Sliding them under a bungee keeps them quiet and my face smack-free.

Del Q
11-25-2011, 20:15
I think that it was from WhiteBlaze, switched to a cuben fiber Hyperlight Mountain Gear pack....love it, but.............I clip a few large diaper pins onto the shock cord and pin socks to dry out. Works great.

Stir Fry
11-25-2011, 22:38
Well not to get back on subjest. I have removed the items I think I will not use including 1/2 the shock cord from th back of the pack and I have the pack weight down to 42 oz. Quite a chang from the pack weight of 96oz, weich is what I had.