PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Gunnison 1 person tent

Feral Nature
11-23-2011, 11:21
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the Kelty gunnison 1 person tent? I have found it cheaper than at Amazon but am just using this link for it's info.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Gunnison-1-1-1-Person-Tent/dp/B000FCAWQU

swjohnsey
11-23-2011, 11:45
The good: Free standing, DAC poles, Full length fly that creates storage area for gear. The bad: weight, long pack length. Eureka Backcountry I, REI quarter dome similar.

Tinker
11-23-2011, 17:27
Very little ground level ventilation. You won't notice until the summer weather hits, when you wish that even the mosquito netting had less effect on the air movement.

Too bad there are few tent makers who make two separate tent bodies (one with little mesh for cold weather and one with lots of mesh for hot weather) while using the same poles and fly. The problem gets to be that the cost would be very high, and a winter fly isn't conducive to air flow since it comes down to, or nearly down to, the ground.

Hilleberg has begun to manufacture some mesh inner bodies for their tents, but the price is pretty steep. The quality makes it worthwhile, though. I have an Akto for snow camping.

slims
11-24-2011, 16:11
The good: Free standing, DAC poles, Full length fly that creates storage area for gear. The bad: weight, long pack length. Eureka Backcountry I, REI quarter dome similar.
This pretty much sums it up.

You could check out the Eureka Backcountry 1. It's cheaper than that and offers more room while weighing roughly the same. I have one and for the price point it's a great 1 person, free standing tent.

Mike2012
11-25-2011, 18:38
cons: noiseless zipper pulls I love that sound. :D