PDA

View Full Version : Out of Stock

snarbles
03-05-2005, 16:02
Mild rant, but everytime I'm looking to buy something from backpackinglight.com or ursack.com they are always out of stock. I find this a common problem on some of the specialized ultralight websites. It appears that the demand is often much higher than the supply. Why don't they just make more of there products during production cycles. I am also aware that the military has requisitioned most of the spectra fabric for the ursacks. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though :confused:

Kerosene
03-05-2005, 16:48
Recognize that most of these companies are quite small, with limited financial resources and personnel. Every item that sits in their warehouse (or basement for some of these concerns) is money that could be sitting in the bank (or money that they're paying interest on). The ideal is "zero inventory", meaning that orders are "built" and fulfilled when they're made (kind of like the way Dell strives to manufacturer its PCs).

Another problem is that there are only so many people on staff who can create the product, so a backlog builds during some portions of the year (namely just before backpacking season -- right now), and it's difficult or expensive to add skilled labor for a short period of time.

Finally, you note the lack of raw materials needed to assemble the item. Eventually this will remedy itself if market demand keeps up, but for now you have to live through it.

SGT Rock
03-05-2005, 22:33
Mild rant, but everytime I'm looking to buy something from backpackinglight.com or ursack.com they are always out of stock. I find this a common problem on some of the specialized ultralight websites. It appears that the demand is often much higher than the supply. Why don't they just make more of there products during production cycles. I am also aware that the military has requisitioned most of the spectra fabric for the ursacks. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though :confused:

Do you need a stove? :D

It happens. I was out of stock myself for a couple of weeks because my real job had me out of town when we sold out. I am now getting my stove and accessory stock built up to the point I hope that I don't do that to someone else again. BTW, a stove is mailing out and 'slogger, your new stove body is too ;)

snarbles
03-06-2005, 06:40
Yes, I'm sure that's the reason. Still makes it a bit difficult to get the gear. I'll just have to pay more attention to when the stock is available or just pre-order more often.

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 11:05
Pre-order is a good idea. I know it may be a bit annoying for some to have to pre-order from the small time guys like me, but it really does help us to determine demand. Think of it this way, I can sink about $500 into stock and tools without any guarantee for a return on my investment, and then spend 100 hours of labor to make the stock, again without any guarantee on my investment. But if I knew there were a lot of people that were just waiting until the stock came in and what exactly they wanted, if there are some advance orders from people wanting certain things, I at least have an idea of demand before I get started doing all that and can focus my efforts on the right stuff. If I ever make it big, then these things won't be an issue.

No advanced orders won't stop me though, I'm having too much fun doing it, it just makes it easier to sell the idea to my wife :D

chris
03-06-2005, 14:55
ULA has a lot of stock already. The main thing is that demand is much, much higher than what Brian can output. That is, Brian is making and selling packs as fast as he can without much down time. He is now back to a one man show, doing almost everything out of a garage in Logan.

snarbles
03-06-2005, 15:02
ULA has a lot of stock already. The main thing is that demand is much, much higher than what Brian can output. That is, Brian is making and selling packs as fast as he can without much down time. He is now back to a one man show, doing almost everything out of a garage in Logan.
True, I didn't have any problems with ULA, (just received my ULA-P2, love it!)

cutman11
03-06-2005, 20:34
Yes, I'd say Brian is keeping pretty well to a 2 week time frame from order submission to pack received, and that included shipping from Utah to NC for me. I would suggest tho, that perhaps ordering from cottage places should be accompanied by a "need to have by" date, I for one was not in a rush to get mine and if a thru needed one by march 1, it would have been no sweat to bump my order back a week.

hikerjohnd
03-06-2005, 21:07
I would suggest tho, that perhaps ordering from cottage places should be accompanied by a "need to have by" date, I for one was not in a rush to get mine and if a thru needed one by march 1, it would have been no sweat to bump my order back a week.
I agree with the need by date, and would definitly take advantage of that option. I enjoy the long term planning part of a trip (2-4 months) if it is possible so waiting for gear is not a problem for me. I fear, however, that in our 'instant gratification' society, too many people would take advantage and put an ASAP date in to get moved up the list. I see it with the profs at school all the time --- we are taking book orders now for Fall semester and the profs all want desk copies before Spring is finished. They fill out the forms saying they need them now and I know they do not (most profs already have the books, they are just looking to build their library or to resell at facultybooks.com). :datz

But I'm getting off topic - yes a need by date would be a valuable tool, so long as the customer knew it wasn't a guarantee.

Flash Hand
03-08-2005, 03:09
I tried to buy bear resistant food bag, and its always out of stock. So I called two or three outfitters that was listed in the ursack.com and discovered that one of the outfitter told me that bag was not expected by park services, in other meaning, failed to meet the expectation so they stop making new one... probably, in my assumption, until they find a better quality that can prove a protection for bear and hikers.

Flash Hand :jump

tlbj6142
03-08-2005, 09:54
I will say that I'm glad Henry finally put up a store front for his gear. Now you know if a model is in stock without have to email him.