PDA

View Full Version : Yak Trax, Micro Spikes, or??

wornoutboots
11-23-2011, 22:50
I'll be hiking from Spinger on 1/1/12 & I plan on bringing some type of traction gear, I've never owned any so please help with the best & the pro & cons. FYI - I'll be wearing Keen Targhee II's if that comes into play

Thanks

ChinMusic
11-23-2011, 22:58
You will like the Micro Spikes better than YT. If you go with the Yak Trax go with there top version (whatever they call that now).

Also consider the Stablicers. I have not worn these but I got my daughter a pair and they worked for her perfectly. I think they are very practical for when back at home too.

Sarcasm the elf
11-23-2011, 23:02
I can't comment too specifically on your situation, however if you are going to buy one or the other, go with micro spikes, I've got a pair and love them I've also used them on several A.T. winter overnight trips.

I wouldn't bother with Yak Tracks if you are backpacking, too light duty and not enough grip. IMO they're more geared for use around town in the winter.

jcazz
11-23-2011, 23:27
nut driver and a package of sheet metal screws........cheaper and lighter -if not then Kahtoolas hands down, although yak's now have microspikes too, but not as rugged. ICEtrekkers have a diamond bead design that looks interesting, Stabilicers are good if you are shovelling your driveway i guess.

No Belay
11-23-2011, 23:31
Before the advent of Micro Spikes I used every model of Yaks made. It was a constant chore to keep them repaired and they tended to pull to the front of the boot on sharp inclines or step ups. Since Micros came out I've never tried anything else because I didn't have a need to. They're durable, stay put on your boot, and remain pliable in very cold weather. Good luck on your Trek. The wooly worms and persimmon seeds say we're going to have a ball bustin winter. Check out Kayak Karl's journal from 2009 for an idea what's in front of you with a mid winter start. Savor Happy!

TaTonka

SweetAss03
11-24-2011, 00:40
I second No RELAY and the others. Game are just to light weight for hiking. They are great for a couple of miles but break down. Also stay away from the ones they sell at Costco as they slip way to easy during hiking.

Nitrojoe
11-24-2011, 02:37
Kahtoola has just come out with a snow shoe and spike combonation and the wt. is around 2 lbs. Whats neet about this set up is if conditions change in the weather lets say snowy conditions, then you can wear the combonation. If it becomes icey, then you just wear the spikes and cary the snow shoes on your backpack. When the weather changes, you then send the Kahtoolas home.

STICK
11-24-2011, 11:00
Micro Spikes

bmwsmity
11-24-2011, 11:27
I broke my YT's only a few days in to my snowy hike from Springer a couple years ago... Get something more study with chains n spikes...they hold up much better

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 11:51
1445514455Although I have two Yak Trac - I don't consider them for hiking - more for clearing the driveway.

Hiking? - go with the screw idea or do this PARTS (http://www.rei.com/product/760284/stabilicers-replacement-cleats-package-of-50)

Roche
11-24-2011, 12:37
You will like the Micro Spikes better than YT. If you go with the Yak Trax go with there top version (whatever they call that now).Yaktrak XTR http://www.yaktrax.com/xtr

handlebar
11-24-2011, 13:36
Another vote for Microspikes.

LIhikers
11-24-2011, 14:26
I've been using the same pair of Stabilicers for years. Do NOT get the sport version, they constantly slip off, but instead get the ones with the velcro straps.
They're easy to put on and take off even with gloves on, and get great traction.

ChinMusic
11-24-2011, 14:31
I've been using the same pair of Stabilicers for years. Do NOT get the sport version, they constantly slip off, but instead get the ones with the velcro straps.
They're easy to put on and take off even with gloves on, and get great traction.

The Stabilicers served my daughter very well on the icey passes on the JMT this year. VERY easy to take on and off and store flat in the pack. They seemed a bit heavier than the Microspikes but I do not have the weight numbers at hand. I think the Stabilicers would serve very well at home/work in icey conditions. The Microspikes would be overkill.

QiWiz
11-24-2011, 17:48
I can't comment too specifically on your situation, however if you are going to buy one or the other, go with micro spikes, I've got a pair and love them I've also used them on several A.T. winter overnight trips. I wouldn't bother with Yak Tracks if you are backpacking, too light duty and not enough grip. IMO they're more geared for use around town in the winter.+1, completely agreeI don't know if snowshoes are ever necessary at the time you are starting, but suspect they might be needed at times in the smokies.

hambone5126
11-25-2011, 00:53
those yaktrax xtr's look pretty cool. im wondering if having the spikes attached to a plate like that is an advantage over the microspikes setup. and theyre a half ounce lighter :p
anyone used both to compare?

Shutterbug
11-25-2011, 01:09
I'll be hiking from Spinger on 1/1/12 & I plan on bringing some type of traction gear, I've never owned any so please help with the best & the pro & cons. FYI - I'll be wearing Keen Targhee II's if that comes into play

Thanks

I have Yaktraks and Micro Spikes. I have not used the Micro Spikes enough to have an opinion except that they take up more room in the pack than the Yaktraks do. For that reason, I usually carry the Yaktraks.

The only problem I have had with the Yaktraks is that they sometimes come off without your knowing it. I solved that problem by connecting the sides of the YakTraks with a piece of twine across the top of my boot.

ChinMusic
11-25-2011, 01:20
those yaktrax xtr's look pretty cool. im wondering if having the spikes attached to a plate like that is an advantage over the microspikes setup. and theyre a half ounce lighter :p
anyone used both to compare?

I really don't like the plate idea. I bet snow and rocks manage to wedged in there, unless your foot size is at the higher end of the range. I much prefer the open design of the Microspikes.

Tinker
11-25-2011, 15:52
I went on a winter hike with two other hikers. One had Yaktracks - garbage on anything with any angle to it - he took them off and walked through the low blueberry bushes to get traction. Stabilicers - another hiker had them and was fine, though they were heavy. I had on standard 8 point strap on crampons (though I wore trail runners with them as an experiment) and I could've walked up walls, basically.
With any snow depth over ice (unless it has stuck to the ice - usually happens with wet snow over ice) the wearers of both Yaktracks and Stabilicers couldn't get any grip on the ice beneath and the dry, soft snow under their boots would allow their feet to slide. Since my crampons had longer points they could grip the snow through the ice and I didn't have any problem with up to 3 inches of unconsolidated snow on ice over rocks. The Kahtoola Microspikes would be somewhere between the Stabilicers and full-on 8 point crampons, imo, and would be better suited to soft footwear than crampons, which limit flex in the boot (or running shoe) sole.

Camp is the brand that I use. Here's a list of currently available crampons: http://www.camp-usa.com/products/categories/crampons.asp

The magix 8 is an updated version of my current crampons.

hambone5126
11-25-2011, 18:53
I really don't like the plate idea. I bet snow and rocks manage to wedged in there, unless your foot size is at the higher end of the range. I much prefer the open design of the Microspikes.

after looking at them a little closer last night that was one issue i thought might come up. it looks like ill be getting microspikes.

Two Tents
11-25-2011, 19:15

Thanks

The Kahtoola micro spikes are what I use on my Keen Targhees. They stay put and are pretty aggressive for trail stuff and they last. I just wore out a pair that had 3 winters on them. I used em plenty and lent them out a lot. I can't say much bad about them. I had just about everything that's made for backpacking packing with crampons or spikes or other gadgets for ice. Kahtoola.

Bucho
11-25-2011, 19:16
I have the yaktrax walker, it's great for a trip to the woodshed but terrible for even a trip up the road. They just don't stay on very well.

10-K
11-25-2011, 22:37
I second that Yak Trax are not very good for backpacking. I had a pair in NY and they gave me fits. Eventually I looked down and the one on my right foot was gone.

I've got a pair of Micro Spikes hanging from a beam in the basement and look forward to trying them out. Really they're much better in every respect.

peakbagger
11-26-2011, 08:33
I am not a fan of Yak Tracks, they tend to slip off when you need them the most. I have pair of Kahtoolas Microspikes and Hillsound trail Crampons and prefer the Hillsounds. They look similiar but the Hillsounds are built better and somewht more durable. Hillsounds have a velcro strap that go up over the top of the foot to keep them snug, Microspikes dont but could easily be added. They also have more welded chain loops versus the microspike have bent chains that can open up.

A general note is that many of the Microspike failures I have seen are a result of them getting loose on the shoe. If you lift your foot up in the air, there shouldnt be loose loops of chain hanging down, they should be reasonably snug against the sole of the boot. If they hang down loose, the metal loops tend to open up

hikerboy57
11-26-2011, 12:02
i use yaktrax for dayhikes, but I dont think theyre durable enough for long sections or a thru.

johnnybgood
11-26-2011, 13:15
Yaktraxs are fine for trekking down your driveway when there's a light coating of snow or ice . Not much experience hiking in the winter but want to do some for sure .

Saw an ad up in the North Country a few years ago at Christmas time showing Santa wearing a pair of crampons /microspikes on a rooftop with a bag of toys slung over his shoulder.
That Santa fella is one cool dude . Gotta get me a pair , for the trail that is , not for treading on any roofs.....

Snowleopard
11-26-2011, 15:56
Kahtoola microspikes.
Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro sound good, review at: http://sectionhiker.com/hillsound-trail-crampon-pro/sectionhiker gave the regular Hillsound Trial Crampon a bad review.
Sometimes you will need real crampons, but probably not in the south in winter. (NH or ME in winter you probably would need crampons).

Echraide
11-26-2011, 16:00
I love my YakTrax for walking on hard, flat surfaces like roads and sidewalks but not for hiking trails. I've never had a problem with them coming off - never even heard of that! But I have big feet.

ChinMusic
11-26-2011, 16:25
I've never had a problem with them coming off - never even heard of that! But I have big feet.

I've def had em come off. I learned to look at my feet quite often when wearing them, so I don't have to backtrack as far........

YakTrax were a bad choice for me but I've gotten by.

bamboo bob
11-26-2011, 17:57
I wore Microspikes in the High Sierras and they were just great. Yaktraks are really for shoveling the driveway. They fall off walking on any trail. I traded my older yaktrax for the "PRO" model abd they were no better. Go with the Microspikes for sure.

ATsawyer
11-26-2011, 20:14
My YT experience was with the original version and they were a FAIL. They were replaced with Kathoola walking crampons and later the microspikes, so I can comment on all. The crampons made my feet ache after about eight or nine miles, but the microspikes were comfortable all day long. I could also rock hop across dodgy stream crossings easily with the micros, as those steel spikes would stick on the plant. Can't say enough good about them. Pic is of each type in Shenandoah with a Tuatahi axe for scale.

mudhead
11-26-2011, 20:59
Y

Saw an ad up in the North Country a few years ago at Christmas time showing Santa wearing a pair of crampons /microspikes on a rooftop with a bag of toys slung over his shoulder.
That Santa fella is one cool dude . Gotta get me a pair , for the trail that is , not for treading on any roofs.....

Or the front porch. (Not that I would know...) :eek:

sir limpsalot
11-26-2011, 21:33
microspikes! (find a way to put hands-on both types and it becomes obvious)

Blissful
11-26-2011, 21:56
I used Yak Trax and did fine with them, but my hubby had his break twice. For the PCT I finally got the Katoohla microspikes. Look forward to using them.

BrianLe
11-26-2011, 23:20
I've also have both, and I also prefer Kahtoola Microspikes.

I used Yaktraks on the AT with an early start last year, and Microspikes on the CDT this year. The yaktraks did okay for the conditions I encountered along the AT, but in general I like microspikes much better --- they have a wider range of utility IMO, and I think they work pretty well even in the sub-range that the yaktraks are designed for.

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2011, 23:23
I've def had em come off. I learned to look at my feet quite often when wearing them, so I don't have to backtrack as far........

YakTrax were a bad choice for me but I've gotten by.

The pro version has a Velcro strap this year... goes over the top of the sneaker. Honest, a wire tie could solve this.

mudhead
12-12-2011, 09:07
Today only, online only.

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/product.php/prodid/28883

FWIW

Marta
12-12-2011, 18:22
Funny you should ask this just now... This past weekend my husband and I and a couple of friends set out to hike from Hughes Gap to 19 E. Our friends neglected to bring any traction devices. David and I had a pair of YakTrax I've had for several years and a new pair of Microspikes. In that section of the trail water runs along for several miles, right on the trail. Guess what! With the nice cold snap we've had, that water had frozen into glare ice. It was such unpleasant walking that our friends decided to bail before one of the falls turned out to be serious. David and I wore our traction devices pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday. The Microspikes win hands (feet?) down. Yak Trax don't really hold on glare ice. The rubber bands that hold them on are pretty weak. I didn't have an iota of trouble with the Microspikes. They're the winter hiker's friend. They won't help you in deep snow, of course, but I've is normally more of an issue.

BTW, I was wearing them with Keen Targhees, too.

wornoutboots
12-18-2011, 14:18
Thanks everyone! I have ordered the Microspikes!

STICK
12-18-2011, 16:22
I have the Yak Trax Pro too and they did ok on the 1 trip I used them on so I cannot complain. I did have to readjust quite often and there were some times that I felt they didn't grip the best, but in the end they did not break and they kept me off of my butt. However, saying that, after witnessing others wearing the Microspikes I decided that they would probably be better than the YTP. So, I myself ordered the Microspikes yesterday too. I ordered from REI because if they are not the correct size I want to be able to return them for a different size without the hassle. I will be using mine with either my Lowa Renegade GTX mids or the Wolverine Fulcrum boots, both in a size 12 (US Mens). I decided to go with the large microspikes. Can't wait to get them too. I am planing a hike probably from Springer to Neels Gap in January so hopefully I will get some good use out of them soon!

kayak karl
12-18-2011, 16:32
i used both on the trail and destroyed both. they clog up very easy.
i use these now http://blog.icespike.com/

wornoutboots
12-18-2011, 16:34
I have the Yak Trax Pro too and they did ok on the 1 trip I used them on so I cannot complain. I did have to readjust quite often and there were some times that I felt they didn't grip the best, but in the end they did not break and they kept me off of my butt. However, saying that, after witnessing others wearing the Microspikes I decided that they would probably be better than the YTP. So, I myself ordered the Microspikes yesterday too. I ordered from REI because if they are not the correct size I want to be able to return them for a different size without the hassle. I will be using mine with either my Lowa Renegade GTX mids or the Wolverine Fulcrum boots, both in a size 12 (US Mens). I decided to go with the large microspikes. Can't wait to get them too. I am planing a hike probably from Springer to Neels Gap in January so hopefully I will get some good use out of them soon! Sounds Good!! I'll be on Springer New Years Eve hiking to the Ruck at the NOC, maybe I'll c ya! Have a Super Hike!

STICK
12-18-2011, 20:10
KK,

Thanks for posting that. I have heard of these but never took the time to look into them. They look quite interesting. I will keep them in mind in case the Microspikes do not work out.

But let me ask you, how are the soles on the shoes if you want to remove them? Also, since it would not be practical to remove the spikes each time you would enter a building or such, how do they do on inside floors?

wornoutboots,

Unfortunately I will be about 2 weeks behind you. My buddy Hiking Shoes may be out there when you are though. What kind of weather/temps are you anticipating?

wornoutboots
12-18-2011, 20:35
The icespikes do look interesting! I guess I cld wear my golf shoes :)

As far as weather:

My research shows me to anticipate anything & everything, lows from 5-20 degrees & highs from 20-30's & anything from sunshine to windy, rainy, sleet & snow. Since I'm carrying a little more weight in clothing & a stove, I may use a few mail drops for the 1st time, just not sure where to send them to just yet that is easy on easy off trial into town other than Mountain Crossings that you walk right through & I don't even know if they'll be open? Anyway, I'm going to lollygage into the NOC & I am preapred to take several Zero's if needed.

STICK
12-18-2011, 23:04
That is pretty much what I am expecting too. Can't wait to get out there!

I am pretty sure that Mountain Crossings will be open. Could be wrong here, but I am sure that a quick call would solve that. Anyway, that sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Be safe and enjoy! Happy hiking...

kayak karl
12-18-2011, 23:24
i have them in my newbalance and keen boots. they have done no damage to them. i cut a small 1/4" wench in half and carry that with about 14 screws. they will rip up floors. they have a bite to them and work better then just zip screws.

EJC
12-18-2011, 23:32
I've only owned stabilicers and really disliked them. I wear Keen boots and just got back from hiking the grand canyon last week. I bought the proper size but the straps kept slipping over the toe cap, even though I tied them to my feet with rope. It was really annoying to have to readjust every 1/8 of a mile or so. We found another random stabilicer on the trail, so someone else walked out of theirs too and didn't even realize. I've never used them, but microspikes look like they'd be better, even though they cost a little more.

STICK
12-18-2011, 23:32
i have them in my newbalance and keen boots. they have done no damage to them. i cut a small 1/4" wench in half and carry that with about 14 screws. they will rip up floors. they have a bite to them and work better then just zip screws.

Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked these...

Driver8
12-19-2011, 02:34
Anyone try the Kako Icetrekkers? http://www.rei.com/product/806475/kako-icetrekkers-diamond-grip-traction-system

I had Microspikes last winter, but they only lasted me three outings, only to fail on the third, very brief one, when the a link on the chain of right one shredded through the rubber frame. The Icetrekkers's design looks sounder where the metal connects with the frame. My concern is that the 'trekkers' gripping mechanism is not as "toothy" and deep as that of the Microspikes. Do they work fine, nonetheless, for gripping ice and snow securely on packed trails with grades up to 30 percent?

msupple
12-19-2011, 11:47
I'd feel comfortable playing basketball on a sheet of ice with my Micro Spikes. Those suckers grip and they stay put. Very high quality. They are heavy so I only carry them when I REALLY think I'm going to need them.

Sarcasm the elf
12-19-2011, 14:41
Very high quality. They are heavy so I only carry them when I REALLY think I'm going to need them.

Heavy compared to what? My pair weighs in at just under 13 ounces, not a big weight penalty for winter backpacking.

Besides, isn't the alternative to use technical boots and crampons?

kayak karl
12-19-2011, 16:08

i weighted out 16 spikes with wrench.

1.78 oz.

Tinker
12-19-2011, 16:30

i weighted out 16 spikes with wrench.

1.78 oz.

They would weigh less if you didn't weight them down with the wrench. :-?

kayak karl
12-19-2011, 16:41
but you can't put them in and out without it??????????????????????????

Tennessee Viking
12-19-2011, 17:12
The rubber on my YakTraks broke with one season. It was a simple fix. But I found that Yak Traks can clog up easily causing it to lose traction.

ChinMusic
12-19-2011, 17:18
I'd feel comfortable playing basketball on a sheet of ice with my Micro Spikes.

This statement speaks volumes.

mudhead
12-19-2011, 19:13
I think I would draw the line at Frisbee.:)

If it wouldn't break the disc.

Bowlegs
01-01-2012, 11:43
I'll carry Micro Spikes.

Chaco Taco
01-06-2012, 20:37
I am not a fan of Yak Tracks, they tend to slip off when you need them the most. I have pair of Kahtoolas Microspikes and Hillsound trail Crampons and prefer the Hillsounds. They look similiar but the Hillsounds are built better and somewht more durable. Hillsounds have a velcro strap that go up over the top of the foot to keep them snug, Microspikes dont but could easily be added. They also have more welded chain loops versus the microspike have bent chains that can open up.

A general note is that many of the Microspike failures I have seen are a result of them getting loose on the shoe. If you lift your foot up in the air, there shouldnt be loose loops of chain hanging down, they should be reasonably snug against the sole of the boot. If they hang down loose, the metal loops tend to open up

Bump, just went out a bought a pair of the same Trail Cramps. Taking them out tomorrow night and sunday

ljcsov
01-06-2012, 22:11
These seem interesting....

http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SNSHTC&Page=1&Term=hillshound&Hit=1
http://www.sunnysports.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SNSHC6&Page=1&Term=hillshound&Hit=1

ljcsov
01-06-2012, 22:14
Also,

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/polar-trax-ice-cleats-pull-on-for-men-and-women~p~3761f/?merch=prod-rec-3582J

kayak karl
01-06-2012, 22:18
i used these for years and still have them http://www.basegear.com/cmiinstep.html , but switched ti icespikes for weight. Yak-craps failed
in 3 miles

ljcsov
01-06-2012, 23:27
i used these for years and still have them http://www.basegear.com/cmiinstep.html , but switched ti icespikes for weight. Yak-craps failed
in 3 miles

Those look intense. Skull crushers?

STICK
01-07-2012, 14:04
I have a question...

What conditions call for crampons over Microspikes or the like, or vice-versa?

I just got a pair of Microspikes so I could retire the YakTrax. I was considering going with those Hillsound Trail Crampons, but I was afraid that they may be just a little too much. The only times I ever need any of these things is when I get to get out to either North GA or the Smokies in the winter time. So far, in my limited time in these areas at these times, the YakTrax were good enough, except they didn't stay on my shoes as well (which is why I went with the MicroSpikes). Although, I am planning on being able to get out much more...

I am also planning on hiking the WT in September this year, and was planning on bringing the MicroSpikes, just in case.

But, it seems like their is a fine line between needing gear like the YakTrax or the MicroSpikes vs some of these simpler types of Crampons. Or is there? And what makes one choose one over the other?

Pathfinder1
01-07-2012, 16:16
You will like the Micro Spikes better than YT. If you go with the Yak Trax go with there top version (whatever they call that now).

Also consider the Stablicers. I have not worn these but I got my daughter a pair and they worked for her perfectly. I think they are very practical for when back at home too.

Hi...

I use both the Yak Trax and the StabilIcers. Both are good for non-strenuous stuff. Of the two, I trust the StabilIcers the most for ice and/or not-too-deep snow use.

Chaco Taco
01-11-2012, 08:27
I have a question...

What conditions call for crampons over Microspikes or the like, or vice-versa?

I just got a pair of Microspikes so I could retire the YakTrax. I was considering going with those Hillsound Trail Crampons, but I was afraid that they may be just a little too much. The only times I ever need any of these things is when I get to get out to either North GA or the Smokies in the winter time. So far, in my limited time in these areas at these times, the YakTrax were good enough, except they didn't stay on my shoes as well (which is why I went with the MicroSpikes). Although, I am planning on being able to get out much more...

I am also planning on hiking the WT in September this year, and was planning on bringing the MicroSpikes, just in case.

But, it seems like their is a fine line between needing gear like the YakTrax or the MicroSpikes vs some of these simpler types of Crampons. Or is there? And what makes one choose one over the other?

The good thing about hillsounds is that they are a nice in-between microspikes and full on crampons. The spikes aren't as long as crampons but not too short either. Microspikes are good for ice with a little snow pack. On the big climbs, its probably good to have something with teeth! The ice shelves that can freeze over the trails and are a little watery can be seriously slippery.

Papa D
01-11-2012, 09:01
I broke my YT's only a few days in to my snowy hike from Springer a couple years ago... Get something more study with chains n spikes...they hold up much better

I have limped Yak-Trax along for about 60 miles in the snow - I like them because they are light and easy but they are best for use over a few snowy ridges and then putting them back in your pack -- for sustained use, go with Micro-Spikes

Papa D
01-11-2012, 09:05
You know, if the OP did take off from Springer on 1/1/12, he's not hitting much snow -- I got about 1" around Erwin last week and I assume there is a bit in the Smokies but probably not enough to need any traction

QiWiz
01-13-2012, 17:57
Microspikes are awesome for icy slippery conditions, especially rocks covered with ice. For snowfall of any depth, snowshoes or getting off trail will be what you'll need to do.

peakbagger
01-14-2012, 09:17
I use Hillsounds and if there is a lot of exposed rock they are a bit more annoying than microspikes as the spike plate sticks out a bit more. They also tend to "snowball" up when snow packs into the spike plates. It not significant but in marginal conditions they will do it before microspikes. The plus side is that they have superior traction on ice.

One thing to do if you buy microspikes is to rig a strap over the top of your foot from side to side as many folks have lost microspikes by "walking" out of them. You would think that someone would notice it right away, but after awhile you forget you have them on and its easy to not notice you have them on if the conditions are right.