PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wear...

Joker4ink
11-23-2011, 23:58
If on the trail for a period of time (lets just say, 2 weeks or more), how long do you usually wear the same clothes before putting on a clean/washed set? I'm specifically talking socks and underwear.

doritotex
11-24-2011, 00:07
You are 30 years old and you are asking when you should change your underwear and socks?? Really..it is a personal preference. Go ask your mother!!

atmilkman
11-24-2011, 00:11
Don't wear any underwear and wash your clothes when you come to town. For 2 weeks that would be once or twice.

Stir Fry
11-24-2011, 00:22
I wash mine every couple days. When not in town I use a 1 gal ziplock with little soap. rense and dry over night. In town use washing machine or just wash in the sink of the hotel I'm in. I have a mesh sack so if I'm in a hostal and they officer loundry for a coupe bucks, my stuff stays seperate, as they usualy wash several peoples thing together.

Kookork
11-24-2011, 00:33
I recommend you to wash your socks every day. Since sucks are small, they are washable even in a small creek.

Wearing dirty socks is one of the main reasons that hikers develope blisters.

I personally wash my T shirt and pants almost every day if possible. It keeps me fresh and cool that is necessary in summer hikings to avoid any heat exshaustion. That is why I always carry soap bar(s).

Sarcasm the elf
11-24-2011, 02:02
In addition to the posts above, think of things more in terms of "wet vs. dry" rather than "clean vs. dirty." Excess moisture is the real problem, especially for socks and base layers. Hot & wet equals blisters and chafing, cold & wet equals loss of body heat and possible hypothermia.

As a general guideline for three season hiking, try to have two pairs of each, one for hiking and a pair for camp/sleeping. When you are done hiking for the day, change out of the hiking pair into the dry pair, this will keep you warm and comfortable at night. When you start in the morning, change back into the (possibly still wet) hiking pair, once you start moving it you will warm up fast enough. Having two pairs also allows you to wash one pair and hang it from the outside of your pack to dry during the day while wearing the cleaner pair.

Lando11
11-24-2011, 02:10
what is underwear?
on the trail this year, i guess i dirt bagged it! i would change socks every week or so. i carried 2 pairs most of the trail, but really only wore 1 pair. the 2nd was an insurance pair more or less. i usually slept barefoot(could count the # of times i wore socks to bed on 1 hand) but still the 2nd pair is worth carrying.
also, i have no idea when you would be on the AT for 2 weeks with no access to towns. unless you go 2 miles a day, you will always have the ability to do town stuff(laundry, real food, re-supply)

Ironbelly
11-24-2011, 07:22
I carry 2-3 pairs of socks depending on length of trip, and 2 exofficio boxer briefs. I typically wash every 3 days or so. I can fit 2 pairs of socks and a pair of the boxer briefs in a 1L nalgene, fill nalgene about halfway with water and add in a drop or two of Dr. Bronners soap and clip the nalgene to the pack and hit the trail. I them dump and rinse after hiking for a few hours and hang to dry on the back of my pack. In essence its a mini washing machine as all the bouncing and agitation that occurs while hiking really cleans them well. I always reserve 1 pair of dry socks for camp, though I do not always use them. I also wash my tshirts, bandannas, etc every so often as needed in the same fashion. You can also do it by hand by just shaking the nalgene for a while.

JAK
11-24-2011, 08:35
When you get a sunny day, and pass a clear stream with dirty socks or underwear, why pass it up?

Blissful
11-24-2011, 10:44
I take a few pair of undies, towns every few days, no big deal.

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 12:07

Panzer1
11-24-2011, 12:25
wash your clothes every 4 or 5 days when you hit town to resupply. Stop at a laundry mat and wash everything you are not wearing. Before you go into town put on your cleanest clothes so you can wash the dirtiest.

socks are most important to keep clean. carry enough pairs to last between laundry mat stops.

Don't wash anything in a creek or stream. people and animals have to drink that water. For me its too much trouble to wash clothes on the trail, except the smallest of things like a bandanna.

Panzer

Spokes
11-24-2011, 12:30
Underwear? No need for underwear silly.

As far as socks go, they get washed when in town (usually about every week or so). I only rinse mine out in a creek to knock of the mud.

handlebar
11-24-2011, 13:39
When you get a sunny day, and pass a clear stream with dirty socks or underwear, why pass it up? Agreed, but please, please don't wash your dirty socks and underwear in the stream. Take the stream water about 100 yards away to wash anything.

atraildreamer
11-24-2011, 15:46
When you get a sunny day, and pass a clear stream with dirty socks or underwear, why pass it up?

With the inevitable result: :eek:

Lion King
11-24-2011, 16:48
I carry sleeping clothes I put on every night, I wash my stuff every 4 days to 10 depending on availability of machines, otherwise you get nasty as hell

MuddyWaters
11-24-2011, 16:55
Merino wool clothing doesnt smell. Wear UL wool baselayer shirts and you wont smell nearly as bad as some others. I can wear wool socks for a week straight and they dont smell, and still feel cushy.

The "Starter" brand of lightwt synthetic shirts from Walmart stinks like hell, worst of all Ive worn.

Kookork
11-24-2011, 17:34
I carry 2-3 pairs of socks depending on length of trip, and 2 exofficio boxer briefs. I typically wash every 3 days or so. I can fit 2 pairs of socks and a pair of the boxer briefs in a 1L nalgene, fill nalgene about halfway with water and add in a drop or two of Dr. Bronners soap and clip the nalgene to the pack and hit the trail. I them dump and rinse after hiking for a few hours and hang to dry on the back of my pack. In essence its a mini washing machine as all the bouncing and agitation that occurs while hiking really cleans them well. I always reserve 1 pair of dry socks for camp, though I do not always use them. I also wash my tshirts, bandannas, etc every so often as needed in the same fashion. You can also do it by hand by just shaking the nalgene for a while.

1+ Nice way to wash the dirty clothes.

Kookork
11-24-2011, 17:40
Agreed, but please, please don't wash your dirty socks and underwear in the stream. Take the stream water about 100 yards away to wash anything.

Please, Don't drink any water from the stream I am passing since I wash my clothes right in the middle of streams.

sbhikes
11-24-2011, 18:50
Are you talking about a 2-week hike with no resupplies?

If it's cold weather, I would not change any of my clothes. I might bring an extra pair of socks (over the normal 2-3 pairs I usually bring). I might bring an extra pair of underwear, too. If I get a chance to wash socks and underwear in a creek, I will do it and let them dry in the sun while I wear the cleaner stuff.

If it's hot weather, I would not change any of my clothes or bring extras. If I get too funky to stand myself, I will go swimming in a creek somewhere, hopefully in a creek where I can fully submerge myself. Then I'll walk my wet clothes dry. If no chance to get fully dunked in water, I'll wash my "pits and pudding" with a bandana whenever I can, plus wash my feet and legs with a bandana each night before bed.

rocketsocks
12-15-2011, 13:35
I don't bring any extra clothes,and bring 3 pair of socks...........the ones with the little rockets on them

Malto
12-15-2011, 14:52
I take three pairs of socks and swap them and/or clean them at every stop. (I generally stop twice a day) This reduces funk, blisters and other foot problems. I don't take any other duplicate clothes but I will rinse out my shirt and wear them wet if there is a good place to do it. Same with undies. Rarely wash out pants or shorts between town stops.

Ladyofthewoods
12-15-2011, 19:39
Please, Don't drink any water from the stream I am passing since I wash my clothes right in the middle of streams.

Well, aren't you proud of yourself? I've always believed that when you know better, you do better, but alas, you have proved me wrong. I'm not a LNT Nazi, but I do think drinking water is more important than you washing your clothes in the stream.

Kookork
12-15-2011, 20:17
Well, aren't you proud of yourself? I've always believed that when you know better, you do better, but alas, you have proved me wrong. I'm not a LNT Nazi, but I do think drinking water is more important than you washing your clothes in the stream.

It does not stop me to wash my cloth in streams. I always use soap bars and I am sure soap is degradable and natural to nature. We have a natural process of soapification in nature.

I respect LNT to some level . certainly I leave no trace when I hike not because Somebody saysso just because I believe in sustainability but some of LNT is just too much. I dont see banana peel or sun flower seed shells any treat to any trail, ( not if it is piled of course)I dont see washing a few dirty clothes having a serious impact on animals(including human) that drink that water down the current.

I have no problem to pond a small nail to a tree trunk for my convenience and no I dont think the tree will be hurt by a nail but it seems you are hurt.

somepeople are stretching the concept of LNT to extreme level. I dont think you are a LNT nazi but your mentality can end up there.

hikerboy57
12-15-2011, 21:07
It does not stop me to wash my cloth in streams. I always use soap bars and I am sure soap is degradable and natural to nature. We have a natural process of soapification in nature.

I respect LNT to some level . certainly I leave no trace when I hike not because Somebody saysso just because I believe in sustainability but some of LNT is just too much. I dont see banana peel or sun flower seed shells any treat to any trail, ( not if it is piled of course)I dont see washing a few dirty clothes having a serious impact on animals(including human) that drink that water down the current.

I have no problem to pond a small nail to a tree trunk for my convenience and no I dont think the tree will be hurt by a nail but it seems you are hurt.

somepeople are stretching the concept of LNT to extreme level. I dont think you are a LNT nazi but your mentality can end up there.sorry kookurk, but you should never use bar soap in a stream or any other water source, period. introducing any foreign flora to an area could be a problem as well. invasive species are a problem in many parts of the country. someone once thought pythons were okay to realease "into the wilds"of florida, and now they're overrun. im not saying banana trees will start growing because you tossed your peel away, but why cant you pack out something less heavy than you packed in?LNT is just a guideline, but still, pack out what you bring in.

Sailing_Faith
12-15-2011, 21:46
... im not saying banana trees will start growing because you tossed your peel away, but why cant you pack out something less heavy than you packed in?LNT is just a guideline, but still, pack out what you bring in. ...

This is exactly the reasonable approach to LNT that (IMHO) goes a long way to making the woods a nicer place to be....

Sunflower seeds are another matter... :)

Rasty
12-15-2011, 21:46
Kookurk - Good quality outdoor clothing can become 90% clean with just water and scrubbing without using soap. The 10% extra cleaning will be pointless within a hour of hiking. I cant see the harm in rinsing clothes in a stream. I would swim in a stream while clothed.

RossSFCA
12-15-2011, 22:16
On the John Muir Trail, I had to go about 10 days without access to a washing machine (for my clothes), so my "dri-fit" fabrics tended to hold in the smells. The wool products did not seem to hold the odors.

I guess I did not think about it all that much, but because the JMT was so snowy and wet with melting snow, I hit a lot of puddles, there was a lot of wading, so my socks would get wet. I just changed them after every major crossing (a few times a day) and I would use the Velcro loops on the back of my pack to hang the damp socks out to dry. The heavier / fluffier wool socks had more "padding" and did not dry as quickly as the thinner SmartWool socks.

And my Dirty Girl Gaiters kept the trail dirt off my socks and out of my shoes. Not everyone likes gaiters, but they really did cut down the time required to clean my socks.

All that to say, when I arrived in Lone Pine, I was stinky, but after hiking more than 218 miles, I NEVER HAD ONE BLISTER ON THE JMT, even with all the wet and damp!

See you on the AT in 2012!

Ross / DirtyGirl

Kookork
12-15-2011, 22:30
sorry kookurk, but you should never use bar soap in a stream or any other water source, period. introducing any foreign flora to an area could be a problem as well. invasive species are a problem in many parts of the country. someone once thought pythons were okay to realease "into the wilds"of florida, and now they're overrun. im not saying banana trees will start growing because you tossed your peel away, but why cant you pack out something less heavy than you packed in?LNT is just a guideline, but still, pack out what you bring in.

No soap in any stream ? peroid? Sorry, First I need to know where in the rules and regulation, washing a cloth in a stream is forbiden first. By ATC? By goverment? By You? By WB? who?

Did you read my post ? I said I leave no trace. Banana peel or orange peel has never been in my diet to be worried about their peels but If I see somebody has tossed a banana peel in the woods it does not violate any LNT in dictionary. so first thing first when you end your sentence with a PERIOD then it seemsit is the rule. IO want to see that rule if possible( I must say though that even if there is a law against it I still wash my cloth in the woodsand definitely by soap and not plain water( which is normally so cold in streams that does not wipe out the bad smell of cloth). So please Do not say that 90 percent of the dirt and sweat and smell goes with simple washing since it is not true. How you came with this 90 percent? Just be realistic and dont overestimate things.
Do you like exageration? How on earth you compare Pythons of everglade with a banana peel on AT?

Invasive species are totally different subject .Please do not mix the subject with invasive species.

High Quality cloth still need soap or detergent to get clean, They do not clean themselves , they just do not get dirty as easy as cheaper cloth.

aaronthebugbuffet
12-15-2011, 22:39
Please, Don't drink any water from the stream I am passing since I wash my clothes right in the middle of streams.Sounds pretty selfish.
You mind if if I take I piss in your water bottle?

Pedaling Fool
12-15-2011, 22:45
Kookork, if you're are really from Iran this would be a good time to educate Americans on what really constitutes pollution from your perspective, in other words give them a taste of the cultural differences, seeing that (according to you) you've seen both sides. You have to remember that Americans live in a much higher living standard than much of the world and are somewhat more touchy about these issues.

Kookork
12-15-2011, 22:50
Sounds pretty selfish.
You mind if if I take I piss in your water bottle?

No I dont mind. just be careful since I may cut your natural peeing hose so fast that it will drop in the bottle.

aaronthebugbuffet
12-15-2011, 22:51
No I dont mind. just be careful since I may cut your natural peeing hose so fast that it will drop in the bottle.Selfish and violent, you sound like a wonderful person.

Rasty
12-15-2011, 22:54
sorry kookurk, but you should never use bar soap in a stream or any other water source, period. introducing any foreign flora to an area could be a problem as well. invasive species are a problem in many parts of the country. someone once thought pythons were okay to realease "into the wilds"of florida, and now they're overrun. im not saying banana trees will start growing because you tossed your peel away, but why cant you pack out something less heavy than you packed in?LNT is just a guideline, but still, pack out what you bring in.

No soap in any stream ? peroid? Sorry, First I need to know where in the rules and regulation, washing a cloth in a stream is forbiden first. By ATC? By goverment? By You? By WB? who?

Did you read my post ? I said I leave no trace. Banana peel or orange peel has never been in my diet to be worried about their peels but If I see somebody has tossed a banana peel in the woods it does not violate any LNT in dictionary. so first thing first when you end your sentence with a PERIOD then it seemsit is the rule. IO want to see that rule if possible( I must say though that even if there is a law against it I still wash my cloth in the woodsand definitely by soap and not plain water( which is normally so cold in streams that does not wipe out the bad smell of cloth). So please Do not say that 90 percent of the dirt and sweat and smell goes with simple washing since it is not true. How you came with this 90 percent? Just be realistic and dont overestimate things.
Do you like exageration? How on earth you compare Pythons of everglade with a banana peel on AT?

Invasive species are totally different subject .Please do not mix the subject with invasive species.

High Quality cloth still need soap or detergent to get clean, They do not clean themselves , they just do not get dirty as easy as cheaper cloth.

Im sorry that you are unable to understand the basic common sence of not using chemicals in other peoples drinking water. Its about respecting others. Not just written laws.

Kookork
12-15-2011, 23:12
Kookork, if you're are really from Iran this would be a good time to educate Americans on what really constitutes pollution from your perspective, in other words give them a taste of the cultural differences, seeing that (according to you) you've seen both sides. You have to remember that Americans live in a much higher living standard than much of the world and are somewhat more touchy about these issues.

John , I consider your post a little offensive. Living in Iran for 38 years, England for one year and Canada for 5 years I really did not find any tangible difference between the North American Standard and the standard of other parts of the world among Hikers. You think American living Standard is higher in every aspect? Big no and certainly not about hygene. I hate to smell bad and I dont see a reason to wait for the next city to wash my cloth.

By the way, do you wash your hands in the woods? Do you carry the dirty water out of woods? or you just pour the water 50 yards far from the stream and think I did not polute the water?

The whole point of polution ( both chemical and visual) is a relative subject. One banana peel in let's say an acre of woods is not polution, why?

If you wash your cloth in Pacific ocean does it polute the ocean? No just because the ocean has ample capacity to revive itself. The water and streams we are talking about have revival capacity, meaning the volume of water and volume of polutant is the most important subject. So if I intend to wash my socks or other cloth in a stream it is not polution(by soap) but if I intend to wash a big pile of dirty cloth in a smll stream then it is wrong.

Kookork
12-15-2011, 23:19
Im sorry that you are unable to understand the basic common sence of not using chemicals in other peoples drinking water. Its about respecting others. Not just written laws.

Common sense is common sense. What is basic commomn sense?

Please do not talk about respecting others since I rarely find you respect others in your posts. If you don't understand the difference between polutant chemicals and non hazardous chemical I cant help you. Soap is not a hazardous chemical in lower dilutions. I am still waiting for you to show me the rules about not washing the cloth in streams.

Pedaling Fool
12-15-2011, 23:27
But the larger point is the cultural difference and that's what needs to be addressed here. I was in the navy and been to many places and know a little about the problems cultural differences can cause. We once had a Sailor from the Pakistan navy on our ship and he would wash his feet in the sinks, that was part of his culture and we didn't like it, because sinks in America are for shaving/brushing teeth and washing hands. But we didn't say anything. There's nothing wrong with that, but we just were not use to it. And yes we American are always offending others with our cultural differences -- it's a two way street.

If you lived in Iran for 38 years you certainly should see the cultural differences and this may be one, unless of course what you do in streams is also taboo over in Iran. How many people over in Iran wash their clothes in the stream? As you can see over here in America it' a major no-no.

Kookork
12-16-2011, 00:05
But the larger point is the cultural difference and that's what needs to be addressed here. I was in the navy and been to many places and know a little about the problems cultural differences can cause. We once had a Sailor from the Pakistan navy on our ship and he would wash his feet in the sinks, that was part of his culture and we didn't like it, because sinks in America are for shaving/brushing teeth and washing hands. But we didn't say anything. There's nothing wrong with that, but we just were not use to it. And yes we American are always offending others with our cultural differences -- it's a two way street.

If you lived in Iran for 38 years you certainly should see the cultural differences and this may be one, unless of course what you do in streams is also taboo over in Iran. How many people over in Iran wash their clothes in the stream? As you can see over here in America it' a major no-no.

Cultural differences are the most important reason for most of the global issues, I accept that. I see what you say about Pakistani sailor. In their culture it is normal to wash their feet in the sink. When I was in London I was the manager of a hostel that was consist of about 30 meical doctors who were trying to find a job as a MD in UK.

We were from different countries like Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, India, Egypt, Sudan ,philippines an some other countries. It was a short six month compact education for all of us o feel the depth of different cultures. For example Indian mn had no problem walking in the house when they were wrapped just in a towel when for Pakistani tenants it was a no-no( I used your no-no phrase here if you dont mind) and I was always trying to address it via negotiations since in cultural differences you need both of the sides to understand the problem and normally it was achieved by negotiations.

If I find that washing clothes in streams here is really a no-no in the mind of the most Hikers I will defiinitely reconsider washing them but not because it is wrong scientifically but because it is wrong culturally.

I do not want to offend other hikers by my acts. I hike to find more peace in my life. I do not think I would enjoy my hike if I find my hike makes others angry.

Your question made me think about Iran and I found out yes In Iran if you hike to an area that is just accessible to hikers and climbers( and not all the poeple) you would find some prestine views that is litter free( comaprable to what I have seen here in north America ) but if you walk in places that has public access you would be totally disappointed about the habbit of some people to trash everywhere.

Here in Canada I always carry everything out of the woods. Sometimes it means I carry my litter for a week or more to find a place to get rid of them. Nobody is watching me but myself .

Kookork
12-16-2011, 00:13
Selfish and violent, you sound like a wonderful person.
Yes I am selfish and violent when somebody talks about peeing in my bottle. Do not try it . You are 37 and your hose needs to be attached to the base for some more years.

Rasty
12-16-2011, 00:15
As for laws. According to health codes in North Carolina discharging any soap into the water is illegal. If you need to specific statute go to the North Carolina Dept of Enviormental Science website.

Kookork
12-16-2011, 00:47
As for laws. According to health codes in North Carolina discharging any soap into the water is illegal. If you need to specific statute go to the North Carolina Dept of Enviormental Science website.

So you mean if you are washing your hands with soap in Yadkin River for example and a ranger sees you then you are in troble, right? Do they execute you right there or you have enough time to say your last payer?

Different Socks
12-16-2011, 00:50

Tell ya what....I'll wash my clothes with non biodegradable soap in your next drinking water source(stream, lake, river, creek, spring) and then you can tank up when I'm done. Sounds appetizing doesn't it? Yum, Yum!!

At the very least if you're actually going to wash your clothes(or anything) with or without soap in a water source, do it far downstream from the likeliest place a thirsty hiker will want to get some water in their bottles.

Rasty
12-16-2011, 00:57

So you mean if you are washing your hands with soap in Yadkin River for example and a ranger sees you then you are in troble, right? Do they execute you right there or you have enough time to say your last payer?

No they could give you a citation.

Kookork
12-16-2011, 01:15
Tell ya what....I'll wash my clothes with non biodegradable soap in your next drinking water source(stream, lake, river, creek, spring) and then you can tank up when I'm done. Sounds appetizing doesn't it? Yum, Yum!!

At the very least if you're actually going to wash your clothes(or anything) with or without soap in a water source, do it far downstream from the likeliest place a thirsty hiker will want to get some water in their bottles.

when you are tanking up how do you know that upstream a bear or deer or hundred different animals did not pee in the water you intend to drink? Now if that sounds appetizing to you , be their guest.

By the way, If it is a lake It does not sound gross to me but a spring is not a place to wash cloth. It is all about concentration of chemicals.

aaronthebugbuffet
12-16-2011, 01:40
So you mean if you are washing your hands with soap in Yadkin River for example and a ranger sees you then you are in troble, right? Do they execute you right there or you have enough time to say your last payer?They wouldn't shoot you for the pollution violation but they probably would for be being so melodramatic if they read that post.

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 04:10
So you mean if you are washing your hands with soap in Yadkin River for example and a ranger sees you then you are in troble, right? Do they execute you right there or you have enough time to say your last payer?No,they don't execute you right there......they take you 200 feet away come on pay attention.It's your thread.:D

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 04:15
Oops sorry kookoo,it's not your thread..........my bad.But man you sure are in it to win it.

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 08:17
when you are tanking up how do you know that upstream a bear or deer or hundred different animals did not pee in the water you intend to drink? Now if that sounds appetizing to you , be their guest.

By the way, If it is a lake It does not sound gross to me but a spring is not a place to wash cloth. It is all about concentration of chemicals.Hey, kookurk, first of all, i never said anything about rules. i did say LNT offers guidelines. one is dont pollute any water sources, the other is pack out what you pack in. these are not difficult "rules" to follow, and I dont think anyone would execute you for your disobedience. a spanking though might be in good order.and yes, I exaggerated with the pythons and whatnot, as i already know you enjoy drama.lighten up.:rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2011, 08:40
If I find that washing clothes in streams here is really a no-no in the mind of the most Hikers I will defiinitely reconsider washing them but not because it is wrong scientifically but because it is wrong culturally. You're probably right, seeing how Americans are so neurotic about their water, but don't blame them, they've been pampered their entire life.

You gotta be careful what you say around people who claim to be open-minded and respectful of others opinions and cultures. They're NOT!:D

Ladyofthewoods
12-16-2011, 09:11
Kookork...You probably know this already, but I was referring to LNT which is a set of guidelines (not enforceable rules) to leave the environment in good or better shape than you found it. But there are also local/state laws for what is allowed to be used in water sources.

Also, please consider that if there are a 1,000 folks starting off at Springer and let's say about 500 make it as far as Harper's Ferry, WV, and they ALL used the streams to wash their clothes, then the amount of polluted water could be very large indeed. Plus, if half of those, 250, wash their nasty privates and I come along and get drinking water..I'm probably going to get very sick. It all perpetuates a problem that we could ease with a little consideration. :-)

somepeople are stretching the concept of LNT to extreme level. I dont think you are a LNT nazi but your mentality can end up there.

LDog
12-16-2011, 09:18
You're probably right, seeing how Americans are so neurotic about their water, but don't blame them, they've been pampered their entire life.

Some of us are neurotic about our rivers and streams because we remember a time when folks dumped anything they wanted into em, to the point that they turned into cesspools, aquatic life in them died, and rivers caught fire. Pretty sure that was the "watershed" moment for my neuroses.

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 09:23
remember this?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLAJOe14F8k

moytoy
12-16-2011, 09:45
Some of us are neurotic about our rivers and streams because we remember a time when folks dumped anything they wanted into em, to the point that they turned into cesspools, aquatic life in them died, and rivers caught fire. Pretty sure that was the "watershed" moment for my neuroses.
Exactly.....anyone who doesn't understand this just doesn't get it!

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 09:49
and this one?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuxBugP6q8&feature=related.
Kookurk, many of us remember when . our skies and waterways are much cleaner than when this commercial came out some 40 yrs ago.
we've come a long way.

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2011, 10:12
Yeah, Neurotic....pretty descriptive:D

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 12:35
and this one?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuxBugP6q8&feature=related.
Kookurk, many of us remember when . our skies and waterways are much cleaner than when this commercial came out some 40 yrs ago.
we've come a long way.Hiker Boy 57 on 3...hut...hut,hut.There goes Hiker Boy look at him run down the side line he trows a head fake and jukes man he's he's head'in down town......and there it is a hail mary pass ...hiker boy grabs it...TOUCHDOWN

Mike2012
12-16-2011, 14:12

Flag on the play. Both feet were not in bounds. :D

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 14:17
i think it was kookurk that was out of bounds, i checked the tape, ive got both feet in!

Beeobee
12-16-2011, 14:41
When the funk smells worst then your farts

Colter
12-16-2011, 15:03

California mill worker George Alexander was seriously injured when the bandsaw he was operating was shattered by either an old nail or a tree spike

It is completely unnecessary, and often, if not usually, illegal, to drive nails into tree trunks on public land "for your convenience." Even along the AT or in public campgrounds trees are often eventually cut, to clear them off the trail after they've fallen, for example. If the chainsaw strikes a nail and destroys the chain, the person driving that nail into the tree is going to suffer some verbal abuse, at least in spirit.

Tinker
12-16-2011, 15:58
Socks, 3-4 days. If your first pair get really dirty, as in muddy, rinse them in a stream. Keep one pair clean for bed time. Three to four days is usually the time you'll spend between town stops (unless you decide you don't need to stop every 3-4 days. I try to carry 3 pair of socks on longer hikes. One pair, as stated above, are strictly for camp use. I usually spend 5-6 nights out per section.

Kookork
12-16-2011, 16:02
Kookork...You probably know this already, but I was referring to LNT which is a set of guidelines (not enforceable rules) to leave the environment in good or better shape than you found it. But there are also local/state laws for what is allowed to be used in water sources.

Also, please consider that if there are a 1,000 folks starting off at Springer and let's say about 500 make it as far as Harper's Ferry, WV, and they ALL used the streams to wash their clothes, then the amount of polluted water could be very large indeed. Plus, if half of those, 250, wash their nasty privates and I come along and get drinking water..I'm probably going to get very sick. It all perpetuates a problem that we could ease with a little consideration. :-)

Thank you for your post.

It seems from following this thread that in WB community( which I dont know is or is not a real sample of hikers community), I am the only one who intended to wash my cloth in any body of water!!

The others are really super-conscious , responsible, nature loving hikers who has never cross their mind to do ANY harm to trails.

If some strangers read this thread, they would say that there is just one bad boy here and it is me, the rest are all nominies for National Geographic Purist of the year award.

atmilkman
12-16-2011, 16:17
I can remember as a kid rowboating, jumping off the dock and swimming in the Huron River in Flat Rock Michigan at my Grandmas. It was a wonderful time to be a kid. Then one day something happened at the steel mill in Detroit. All of the sudden we're told "you can't swim in the river anymore." Why Grandma, why? Why can't we swim in the river anymore?" Pollution. It will kill you. I just couldn't understand. I do now. There are some things I don't take kindly to either.

Tinker
12-16-2011, 16:28
Thank you for your post.

It seems from following this thread that in WB community( which I dont know is or is not a real sample of hikers community), I am the only one who intended to wash my cloth in any body of water!!

The others are really super-conscious , responsible, nature loving hikers who has never cross their mind to do ANY harm to trails.

If some strangers read this thread, they would say that there is just one bad boy here and it is me, the rest are all nominies for National Geographic Purist of the year award.

Brother K.-

Washing clothes (or body parts :)) with soap or detergent directly in streams and lakes has long been discouraged by most outdoors people to be harmful environmentally. "Bio degradable" (at least more highly biodegradable than everyday) soaps have been available for many years, but it's recommended that the bio soaps be used away from water sources so that the abundant microbes in the soil can break it down.
If you take a pot of water into the woods, away from water and wash and rinse yourself or your clothes there, using biodegradable soap, you will be doing other hikers a favor.
If you must rinse out your socks (not wash, just rinse), or if you feel like dunking your sweaty body in a stream, doing it downstream from the AT or farther away from a shelter than folks would normally walk to get water for consumption, you will not harm man nor beast.

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 16:29
I use to get swimmers ear every summer we grew up swimming in ponds until we learned about............snap'in turtles.No more boy.

hikerboy57
12-16-2011, 16:42
ironically, im reminded of lewis black's routine about bottled water where he says when we were kids we drank water from anywhere, hoses, faucets, swimming pools, and now people cant cross the street without their water bottles.. I think about this now and wonder whether theres a correlation between drinking water in the '60s and the rising breast cancer rate.
The Lakota have a saying that the earth does not belong to us, it belongs to our grandchildren.we're just watching it for them.

rocketsocks
12-16-2011, 17:01
ironically, im reminded of lewis black's routine about bottled water where he says when we were kids we drank water from anywhere, hoses, faucets, swimming pools, and now people cant cross the street without their water bottles.. I think about this now and wonder whether theres a correlation between drinking water in the '60s and the rising breast cancer rate.
The Lakota have a saying that the earth does not belong to us, it belongs to our grandchildren.we're just watching it for them.And mother would say drink water it's free. and one generation plants the tree, and the next generation gets the shade

Tinker
12-16-2011, 18:39
The Lakota have a saying that the earth does not belong to us, it belongs to our grandchildren.we're just watching it for them.

There's more likely a link between the increase in breast cancer and hormonally altered milk (cows are given hormones to make them produce more milk, and women have organs which are designed to produce milk. Cancer is a rapid growth of cells. Cows are made to produce milk more rapidly).

Coincidence? (My wife, btw, is a breast cancer survivor - 15 years). Thanks be to God.

Rasty
12-16-2011, 21:59
Kookork - I looked at every post I've written. Maybe two could be viewed as mean. Most of the others would be descibed as boring, funny, stupid or plain. I guess in your frame of mind my not understanding you wanting to use soap in open water is much more disrespectfull than your threating to cut someone.

Common sense is common sense. What is basic commomn sense?

Please do not talk about respecting others since I rarely find you respect others in your posts. If you don't understand the difference between polutant chemicals and non hazardous chemical I cant help you. Soap is not a hazardous chemical in lower dilutions. I am still waiting for you to show me the rules about not washing the cloth in streams.