PDA

View Full Version : Keen Leather Boots Issue..Help!

Ladyofthewoods
11-24-2011, 08:17
:bananaI purchased my Keen boots about a month ago, and I've been happy with them; however, after hiking yesterday and falling several times, I realized I have fallen/slipped on just about every hike since I began wearing them. They are full leather with vibram soles...rec'vd good reviews. I'm wondering if the soles need to be 'treated' somehow? I don't want to compromise the boots, but after falling 4 times yesterday...I'm concerned! And yes, I know that hiking here in the south on wet leaves on the trail, etc. you have to be extra careful...but I'm an experienced hiker..believe me...this definitely seems to be more than normal slipping!

coach lou
11-24-2011, 08:32
A while back I bought an excelent pair of Keen sandles...still made in USA.... I then bought a pair of low cut hikers from Keen.....made in China..... after less than a week in Jellystone, the vibram[?????] on the sole started to delam. I returned them to my local outfitter and got a serviceable pair of Garmonts. I want so to buy USA...but alass, it is practically impossible today.

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 10:46
I'm stumped. good pair of hiking sticks?

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/__OWLq.gif

q-tip
11-24-2011, 12:54
I learned while trekking in India a technique for wet downhills. Rather than walking heel first (which had me on my a** often) My guide had me go front of the boot first, then the heel. It works because there is a greater amount of area on the front of the boot, in addition, the heel on most leather boots have a sharp right angle as you move toward the center of the foot pad. This helps when sliding to control the slide and stop.
Worked great on the AT in some bad conditions.

rocketsocks
11-25-2011, 00:44
Q,kinda sounds like your doing a moon walk?:cool:

sbhikes
11-25-2011, 14:05
I tried hiking in Keen sandals once and fell into a yucca bush, impaling my arm, then fell down about once a day on a 4-day trip. Additionally, they cut my feet to bits because I crossed creeks about 75 times and each time they filled with sand and gravel that scraped my skin to pieces. Foxtails embedded into the neoprene, the webbing and into my socks. I found a stuff sack on the trail and tried to fashion shoe covers to make them more functional. They are the worst things for hiking. I know you don't have the sandals, but some soling material is just too slippery and I imagine that's the issue with your Keens, as it was with mine.

hikerboy57
11-25-2011, 14:50
my keen klamaths have great traction, my targhee!!s not as good, but I still dont slip very often. the above tip about downhills ins correct, In fact, you should always look to maximize the surface area as it attaches to the rock, and also try to keep your weight over the balls of your feet when going up or downhill, same as rockclimbing.

MedicineWoman2012
11-25-2011, 16:27
Curious if you treated or tried water proofing the keens before using them? I have heard a few stories bout how that works out..lol

levemarkin
05-14-2012, 04:39
While we going for walk in snow cover area, Firstly we comfortable with out boots otherwise we may not walk properly. Keen Leather Boots are useful and in addition, The heel on most leather boots have a sharp right angle as you move toward the center of the foot pad. This helps when sliding to control the slide and stop. Keen Leather Boots are available for both men and women and it's appearance also stylish. They've got a great line of fashionable leather boots for women including the tall leather Bern, Silverton and Shelby boots. Many of them use this because they are a solid all-around boot that could use for many adventures.

peakbagger
05-14-2012, 08:30
In general, many boot soles tend to be set up for durability instead of traction. Many of the synthetic rubber formulations are too hard and they just dont deal well with wet rock. I use two poles and make sure that I have three points of contact going down steep stuff. It slows my pace down as opposed to running down a hill but cuts down on lips and falls. In the whites the trails are decidedly steeper and rockier and the poles also make a big difference on long term knee damage.

kelvinsmar
09-13-2012, 02:29
I had gone through the post. Now-a-days, In market multi branded boots are available. What are the basic precautions we have to take while walking in snow cover areas ? Please produce some more attachments about the topic for view detail information.