PDA

View Full Version : Down Jacket/ Outershell combo suggestions.

B-Rabbit
11-24-2011, 11:18
Im looking for good and "inexpensive" down jacket and outershell combo. I was browsing at REI yesterday and couldn't find much that wouldn't break the bank. I need it to be warm (850 fill?), light, and compressible. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 11:31
OK your going to get flack because people think you are suggesting long distance hiking in down, which is frowned upon. - once we can get past that and lets take an educated guess that you want something for section hiking or just being outside in camp.

Here is one cheap suggestion I have made four years in a row.... CLICK HERE (http://www.llbean.com/llb/search?init=1&freeText=mens+down)

July
11-24-2011, 11:32
Just about any quality down jac is going to cost $, possibly might find used more resonable. Great investment check montbell and western mountaineering. As for inexp. shell ... O2, FrogTogg, FriDuck.

B-Rabbit
11-24-2011, 12:00
I am talking about using both for long distance hiking...just not at the same time. I wouldn't hike in the down of coarse. The down would be used while at rest or in camp. Is this still a bad idea? I will admit.. I am a little lost when it comes to the clothes combo I should take on my first thru attempt. Any "Flak" is welcome as long as it brings me closer to perfecting my gear list.

Wise Old Owl
11-24-2011, 12:17
Well every year this question comes up and then spirals down the same path.... So it really wasn't pointed at you - just decided to "nip it" before it happened. I think having a down jacket under 1lbs is very handy because it compresses and fits well in a compression sack. And LLbean jackets are treated to be wet proof. The water bounces off the jackets and beads.... handy on foggy ski slopes. And you can mail it home inexpensively when you are done with it.

Creek Dancer
11-24-2011, 14:03
Im looking for good and "inexpensive" down jacket and outershell combo. I was browsing at REI yesterday and couldn't find much that wouldn't break the bank. I need it to be warm (850 fill?), light, and compressible. Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Do a search for down jackets as well as down sweaters. Down sweaters have slightly less fill, but when used as part of a layer system, they work very well. (Most zip just like a jacket.) I have a Pantagonia down sweater that I use around camp on cold nights. I use a wool base layer (which I also use for sleeping), a mid-weight layer, and then the down sweater. I also wear a wool hat. The down sweater is also good as an extra layer for sleeping on those cold nights when your bag is near the limit. Or to use as a pillow.

In my opinion, you don't need a water resistant down jacket because you will most likely have some type of rain coat that you can use over the jacket if there is precipitation. Also, if your down jacket is water resistant, you probably can't use this inside your sleeping bag because your body warmth will probably not be able to penetrate the shell and heat up your down bag.

As far cost...well, they are rather expensive. Down sweaters tend to be less expensive than down jackets. But with all the sales right now, you might be able to find something in the low 100's. I have friends who have picket up some nice down jackets at Goodwill stores.

Good luck!

B-Rabbit
11-24-2011, 14:22
Looking at the patagonia down sweater vs montbell vs ll bean.. Looks like I can get either for around the same price on sale now. Ill have to do some more research before I decide. Thanks!!

Summit
11-24-2011, 14:39
I just picked up an 800 fill down sweater double-discounted from REI for $100 (originally $200) to go with my waterproof eVent REI shell jacket. Haven't tested them on the trail yet but I suspect I will love this combo.

Creek Dancer
11-24-2011, 15:00
Looking at the patagonia down sweater vs montbell vs ll bean.. Looks like I can get either for around the same price on sale now. Ill have to do some more research before I decide. Thanks!!

I don't own any LL Bean gear, so I have no idea of the quality or weight. But you can't go wrong with Patagonia or Montbell. Both make quality outerwear.

The best piece of advice (forgive me if I have said this before) that I received when I was purchasing my gear was to buy the most lightweight, highest quality, item you can afford that meets your needs. Sometimes that means buying things used, or even making your own.

Creek Dancer
11-24-2011, 15:02
I just picked up an 800 fill down sweater double-discounted from REI for $100 (originally $200) to go with my waterproof eVent REI shell jacket. Haven't tested them on the trail yet but I suspect I will love this combo.

Nice combo!!

Summit
11-24-2011, 15:20
Nice combo!!Thanks! This is the down sweater I got:

http://www.rei.com/product/808217/cordillera-aiguille-800-down-sweater-mens-special-buy

They still had it in winter green color, which I got. Not crazy about these two colors that are left. Also got another discount taking it down to $100. Free shipping and it arrived in two days! The product is very well made. I'm also jazzed about using this sweater in a small stuff sack, giving me a down pillow! That is actually what I'm the most excited about!!!

Creek Dancer
11-24-2011, 15:25
Thanks! This is the down sweater I got:

http://www.rei.com/product/808217/cordillera-aiguille-800-down-sweater-mens-special-buy

They still had it in winter green color, which I got. Not crazy about these two colors that are left. Also got another discount taking it down to $100. Free shipping and it arrived in two days! The product is very well made. I'm also jazzed about using this sweater in a small stuff sack, giving me a down pillow! That is actually what I'm the most excited about!!!

Looks like a nice jacket! Lightweight, warm, compressable and doubles as a pillow!

Mags
11-24-2011, 15:44
Believe it or not, the down jacket sold at Costco for $30 is getting very good reviews:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54208&skip_to_post=463247

An XL weights 11.5 oz. I believe the large is 10 oz. Hood included.

Summit
11-24-2011, 16:15
The Cordillera one above lists at 15 oz. but that's probably the weight of XXL. My L weighs 11 oz.

q-tip
11-24-2011, 16:37
I use a Mont Bell down jacket (6 oz-$150) for camp and a Marmot Mica Jacket (7 oz-$120) for everything else.

McPick
11-24-2011, 19:02
"Believe it or not, the down jacket sold at Costco for $30 is getting very good reviews:"

Yeah, this from a guy who thinks that "tenting" means rolling up in a disguarded piece of plastic sheeting... In the rain... Dang, that's funny!

In all seriousness, you made the right choice in bags. I've owned bags from all 3 companies you indicated you were interested in, having bought the Marmot last... Wisht I'da bought the Marmot first. I think the others' temp ratings are flawed... Marmot's the real deal... Just sayin'

Also bought the Marmot Zeus (XXL) and the Patagonia down sweater (XXL). IMO, once again the Marmot product is superior. Google them all. Look at 6PM, The Find, Gear Finder, etc. I paid about $100 for each of mine. (Watch for free shipping days) And if you can wait, why not hold off with any more major purchases until AFTER HO HO HO... Ya know?

Take it hiking... Keep it dry... Nice pillow... You'll love it.

I've also had good success here and at the other gear swap site just putting out a WTB ad.

Good luck!

skinewmexico
11-24-2011, 19:10
Watch Eddie Bauer for the First Ascent down sweater on sale. It will happen before Christmas.

BlakeGrice
11-24-2011, 23:20
Last night at hawk mtn shelter I slept in my Patagonia down sweater and was glad to have it

Tinker
11-25-2011, 16:08
With any exertion you will find that your persiration vapor condenses on the inside of your wp/b shell in cold weather. Get something in down that you won't ever hike in, and save your money and buy a fleece jacket to wear under your shell on the trail. If you have extra money, spend it on that nice down jacket (with a hood) for camp and get one of the fancy-schmancy manmade-wonder-stuffed light jackets for the trail (again, I would recommend a hood because it's always there when you need it). I have all of the above (including an REI Shuksan eVent jacket, and I often leave the manmade-wonder stuffed jacket at home because it's sometimes too warm to wear while hiking (my old Black Diamond 100wt. fleece jacket is more versatile and dries more quickly).

Snowleopard
11-25-2011, 17:42
Believe it or not, the down jacket sold at Costco for $30 is getting very good reviews:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54208&skip_to_post=463247

An XL weights 11.5 oz. I believe the large is 10 oz. Hood included.
These are CHILDREN's sizes! On a hike last month, everybody tried on somebody's boy's XL. Boy's XL fit me, normally men's medium; some guys bigger than me found them OK. They seem quite a bit warmer than a Pat. nanopuff or similar light jacket. If you're not too large they're a great deal.

Summit
11-25-2011, 18:37
With any exertion you will find that your persiration vapor condenses on the inside of your wp/b shell in cold weather. Get something in down that you won't ever hike in, and save your money and buy a fleece jacket to wear under your shell on the trail. If you have extra money, spend it on that nice down jacket (with a hood) for camp and get one of the fancy-schmancy manmade-wonder-stuffed light jackets for the trail (again, I would recommend a hood because it's always there when you need it). I have all of the above (including an REI Shuksan eVent jacket, and I often leave the manmade-wonder stuffed jacket at home because it's sometimes too warm to wear while hiking (my old Black Diamond 100wt. fleece jacket is more versatile and dries more quickly).I agree! Never hike in down. A down sweater/jacket is a camp-wear garment, only to be doned when you've stopped sweating at the end of the day's hike and removed any sweaty base layer. I was thinking of retiring my fleece, but under cold rainy conditions I can see where it might be nice to have fleece under the eVent (I have the cheaper REI one - $230 vs. $299).
Typically though, my hiking "seasons" are April/May and October. It can be pretty cold but usually not dead of winter type cold, although a couple years ago my buddy Bryan and I experienced single digit temps and 6" of snow the first week of April on an AT-Bartram Trail loop. Generally though during those time frames, I'm OK with a long sleeve polypro T-shirt and the eVent jacket. It will just depend on the last minute forecast before heading out whether I take a fleece now that I have a down sweater.
I do prefer a hoodless down garment though, just a matter of personal preference. A fleece or wool/fleece beanie and the eVent jacket hood is plenty for those time frames I'm out.

Blissful
11-25-2011, 21:18
Just about any quality down jac is going to cost $, possibly might find used more resonable. Great investment check montbell and western mountaineering. As for inexp. shell ... O2, FrogTogg, FriDuck.

I actually saw some at JC Penny in the ladies section with a pocket to stuff it in. 600 fill. It was less than $40 with the early bird sale. Use your rain jacket as the outer shell if needed.
And I have hiked in down if its really cold out. Why can't you?