PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on my trip...

BlakeGrice
11-24-2011, 23:29
As I type this I'm in a bunk at the hiker hostel. First point- this is a GREAT place. I cannot give it enough praise. It's more of a luxury bed and breakfast than a hostel. Anyway, so here are my thoughts- and if any other newbs are here maybe this can helP. Ok, mileage for a new guy In georgia. You cannot do 20 miles in a day. You prob can't do 15. I am talking new guys here. It's MUCH more up and down than I thought. After 8 miles my legs were screaming for me tO stop. Point 2- 50 pounds In your pack is too much. It was for me anyway, and I'm 6'2" 215 lbs. Point 3- poles. Buy poles. I didn't and immediately regretted it. If you're just out for a few days, enjoy it. Don't feel like you have to walk sun up to sun down. It's a lot harder than I thought. I'm glad to have gotten my feet wet on the AT though. What I did was so insignificant compared tO a long distance hike- but I had a good time. Off to hogpen to get my car and make my way home. See ya

Storm
11-25-2011, 00:03
Warm up hikes can be a real eye opener. Glad you made it okay and hope you enjoyed yourself enough to go do it again. It does get better. And just think about how much you learned.

Sailing_Faith
11-25-2011, 00:55
Blake,

Thanks for posting, congrats on getting your feet wet. May short be the time until you are able to do it again. :)

FatMan
11-25-2011, 08:14
Blake, your story is more the norm than you think. As I have stated on multiple occasions this forum is loaded with testosterone and the advice given on mileage to newer hikers is just bad.

Thru hikers usually start off taking 3.5 - 4 days to get just to Neels, averaging well less than 10 miles per day. And that does not include the hundreds that drop out before Neels. I know, I sit at mile 16 and I see the look in those hiker's eyes every year. I thank you for posting because rarely does anyone who drops out after a day or two share their experience for others to read.

Next time, if there is a next time I suggest you just go out and hike. Stop when your body says stop, even if just 6 miles. Leave your car at the Hiker Hostel and let them put you on the trail and get you off the trail where ever you should end up. Your hike could end up being 15 miles or 40. It doesn't matter as long you enjoy the hike. Don't try to make a plan. Plans are for City Folks, not backpackers.

Toli
11-25-2011, 09:07
Blake, your story is more the norm than you think. As I have stated on multiple occasions this forum is loaded with testosterone and the advice given on mileage to newer hikers is just bad.

Thru hikers usually start off taking 3.5 - 4 days to get just to Neels, averaging well less than 10 miles per day. And that does not include the hundreds that drop out before Neels. I know, I sit at mile 16 and I see the look in those hiker's eyes every year. I thank you for posting because rarely does anyone who drops out after a day or two share their experience for others to read.

Next time, if there is a next time I suggest you just go out and hike. Stop when your body says stop, even if just 6 miles. Leave your car at the Hiker Hostel and let them put you on the trail and get you off the trail where ever you should end up. Your hike could end up being 15 miles or 40. It doesn't matter as long you enjoy the hike. Don't try to make a plan. Plans are for City Folks, not backpackers.

+1 FatMan... Well said...

Tinker
11-25-2011, 10:17
It's worth commenting that the same section of the AT isn't quite the same for any one person. Having hiked several sections twice or more times, I've found that, at times, the same section can be easier or more difficult for the same person! Compared to the White Mountains, Georgia was relatively easy, even though I wasn't really in the best shape (I'd been laid off from my landscaping job three months earlier- but, then again, I had been a landscaper, so I guess I had a good baseline of fitness to draw from). I also knew, more or less, what to expect, I had a nero after three days (my hiking partner had planned it) and got to eat like a pig, replacing calories lost and building up fat reserves, had a zero three days later (my hiking partner had some physical issues), and, again, ate like a pig (don't miss the Mexican restaruant in Hiawassee). After the zero I did a 16, which wasn't easy, and that night I got to stay at the Blueberry Patch, doing a short day out of Dick's Creek Gap. The following day I hiked to the NC border and back to the last shelter in Ga (forgot the name, but remember that there was supposed to be a copperhead living under a tree stump nearby). This was March of '06, and since then I've gotten much older ;).
My advice is to take Ga. slowly and enjoy all of the services it offers.
The town folks I met were awesome.

mmorgan
11-25-2011, 11:44
Hiker Hostel is a great place. Used their services back in October. Left my car there and had them drop me off and pick me up. The pickup was at Neels Gap. Originally I was going further but upon my phone call from Neels they said "no problem, we will be there shortly to pick you up". Do to a cold rainy night and day they had alot of people calling for a warm dry bed to sleep. They made every effort to handle all the last minute, unexpected calls. I was impressed.
I would use them for drop offs and pick ups any time I am in that area.

pyroman53
11-25-2011, 12:24
Good thoughts. So, before you forget these thoughts, I suggest you do a few things. 1. Write down what worked and didn't work. 2. Begin to think about what you carried that maybe you didn't need. Maybe you can elliminate a few things. Certainly after a few trips of not using it, some things might drop out of your pack (except 1st aid and rain gear). 3. Look at each item with an eye towards lighter options. There's an article here about low-cost equipment options. Its not always about how much money you spend. You'll get a lot by reading old threads here...use the search function and pick a topic. 4. Plan your next trip and do it again. Its addictive.

BlakeGrice
11-25-2011, 15:55
Oh I'll be back! With poles, a lighter pack, and less miles in mind. I met some great people from all over the world and that was the best part of my 3 day trip