PDA

View Full Version : Gear list (still being edited.) Advice welcome.

Fats
11-25-2011, 06:51
Here is my gear list so far for this years hike, NOT COMPLETE YET.
All weights for gear are in ounces, total is in ounces and pounds.
I do not have, or have not weighed everything yet, weights in Black are OK, but I think I can work on making them lighter, Red is I must go lighter. This is my "in the pack" weight, so if I am wearing an item I am not counting it (one pair of pants, one shirt, hiking stick for instance.), items I will not wear all the time (such as long underwear) I weigh with the pack weight. I'm on the larger side currently, so weights are a little higher since I have larger clothing.
EVERYTHING IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. I'M OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS. IF I WANTED COMFORT I WOULD DRIVE AND STAY AT A MOTEL!

A list of things I need, need to do, and where they are going in the pack/hike.
Black HAVE
Black NEED/ in process of getting
Black HAVE, BUT NEED MORE, OR BETTER

Main Pack TOP 97.75 Ounces

Tent/Hammock
Sleeping bag 37.75 oz

Clothes sack

pants 26.00oz
short sleeve shirt

Small sack

Money
Credit card .15 oz
ID .15 oz

Frogg Togg tops and bottom 20.08oz
Small sleeping sack(Placed in bounce box until warmer weather)

Sleeping pants (silk, or other) (Placed in bounce box until warmer weather)
Sleeping shirt(Placed in bounce box until warmer weather)

Soap for laundry/body
towel

Gloves (winter only)

Main Pack BOTTOM

Food
Water bottle (actual used water bottle)
Toilet paper in waterproof bag

Main Pack OUTSIDE

Stove Sack

Stove 1.40 oz
Wind blocker
pot 2.95 oz
Lighter
Spoon/fork(may use chopsticks to save weight, I need input on this)

Coffee Cup (Luxury item)
Bandanna
Hat-homemade and light.
Emergency flashlight 1.20
Camp shoes 12.20
Sleeping pad (tent only)

Pack top

Water filter 18.00oz
Water bag
solar cells- No longer making
cell phone 4.55oz

Wearing

Pants26.oz
long underwear top 8.85oz
Long underwear bottom 5.40oz
Long sleeve shirt
Socks
Boots
Glasses

Hiking stick

Duck Tape
Rip cord
homemade “knife” , scissors may be better
Ace bandage

Things I’m not sure where to put yet

Cook fuel
Main flashlight (Headlamp that runs on AAA batteries)

Total Weight 240.43 oz
20 Lbs Goal weight (I'll likely end up closer to 25)
15.03 Lbs Current Weight
4.97 left

Fire away,
Brad

Fats
11-25-2011, 07:04
Forgot to add:

I ordered the ripstop for a few of the rucksacks, and am waiting for it to come in the mail. At the same time I am looking for a few water proof bags for holding toilet paper, maps etc.

Brad

Spokes
11-25-2011, 08:49
Man, all those colors are freakin me out and the items in yellow are really hard to make out........

Fats
11-25-2011, 08:59
I apologize for the yellow.... I copy and pasted it directly from my computer where I can read that scheme easily (darker background), it seems I cannot edit the post now. Perhaps selecting the text you have problems reading would help. I've always understood things better when I separate them into groups, and colors just work for me. :D

If you would like I can repost it all in one color.

Brad

ekeverette
11-25-2011, 10:27
yea.... can not see the yellow at all.

bamboo bob
11-25-2011, 11:29
Dirty cloths sack is not needed. Just put them in the bottom of pack. But if they are so dirty you CANT wear them you an wash them and dry on your pack. You cant really hike in frog toggs, you'll sweat like a pig. Where's the pack?

corialice81
11-25-2011, 11:30
have you hiked in the froggtoggs yet? in rain? going uphill? I'm a fan of pitzips and ended up switching out my froggtoggs to a pitzip rain jacket to help reduce the amount of heat building up inside my jacket while I hiked so I would not sweat as much.

also you don't need an emergency flashlight and a flashlight. Just bring one. I noticed lots of shirts: 2 short sleeve, one long sleeve, long underwear top, and then a sleep shirt. Maybe 1 short sleeve, long underwear, and sleep shirt? Down jacket? sunscreen? water treatment instead of filter? bag liner? vitamin I?

here's a link to my gearlist I started with: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262286 hope this helps.

Ktaadn
11-25-2011, 11:53
I'm color blind. This list is driving me nuts. :confused:

July
11-25-2011, 12:42
Man, all those colors are freakin me out and the items in yellow are really hard to make out........
LMAO, I concur Spokes...:)

Mike2012
11-25-2011, 13:16
Your credit card and ID need a decimal point in the weights.

Fats
11-25-2011, 15:58
Dirty cloths sack is not needed. Just put them in the bottom of pack. But if they are so dirty you CANT wear them you an wash them and dry on your pack. You cant really hike in frog toggs, you'll sweat like a pig. Where's the pack?
OK, so no dirty clothes bag? Even a garbage bag that will most likely be ripped up within a month just to make me feel like I am separating the dirty from the dirtier? :) I'll do away with it.
The pack? You mean the weight? It's at the top next to "Main pack TOP" 97.75 ounces.

have you hiked in the froggtoggs yet? in rain? going uphill? I'm a fan of pitzips and ended up switching out my froggtoggs to a pitzip rain jacket to help reduce the amount of heat building up inside my jacket while I hiked so I would not sweat as much.

also you don't need an emergency flashlight and a flashlight. Just bring one. I noticed lots of shirts: 2 short sleeve, one long sleeve, long underwear top, and then a sleep shirt. Maybe 1 short sleeve, long underwear, and sleep shirt? Down jacket? sunscreen? water treatment instead of filter? bag liner? vitamin I?

here's a link to my gearlist I started with: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262286 hope this helps.

I can see that with the Frogg Toggs, I'll add a zipper to each armpit, if that messes them up I need to buy something else anyway.
I'll go through and do away with shirts.
I haven't weighed my down jacket yet, my goal was going to be layers instead of the jacket (I was figuring that would be lighter), and I could get into the sleeping bag,tent/hammock when I stopped and got cold.
No emergency flashlight, should I bring an extra set of batteries then?
Vitamin I will be added, I haven't got the first aid stuff sorted out just yet.

The liner for the pack (on the inside) will be a garbage bag, I haven't weighed it yet. The outside rain cover is being made as soon as the material gets here, ordered and waiting for it.

Thanks so far guys!

Brad

corialice81
11-25-2011, 16:48
Yeah. At the end of the day, when you're cooking dinner, you're gonna want something warm to put on. Down jackets provide the warmth with the least amount of weight. Yeah, just one set of extra batteries if you feel the need to bring them.

I meant a sleeping bag liner? Garbage bag for pack liner is an excellent idea.

hikerboy57
11-25-2011, 17:19
if you cant wear all your clothes, you're carrying too much. also you dont need so many stuff sacks, although it makes for neat compartmentalization, your stuff packs better loose for better weight distriibution. use a head;lamp instead of 2 flashlights, save the soap for town, use hand sanitizer on the trail(also a good firestarter), and consider a single edge razor blade instead oif a knife.other than that , your list(and mine) deviates from Mags only way to hike list. you dont need both a liner and a pack cover. I use a cover, others use a liner.as for sleep wear, unless its hot, Ill sleep in my long johns.as far as waterfproof bags for your small stuff and TP, ziplocks work fine.

corialice81
11-25-2011, 17:46
actually, speaking from advice from someone that has actually thruhiked the AT during a rainy year (09), you should carry a liner and a pack cover if you want to ensure that all of your gear is dry at the end of the day especially if you aren't going to use stuff sacks. TRUST ME...totally worth the weight of a pack liner and cover.

if you have the money...i'd pick up a leatherman micra with the scissor option. I agree with the headlamp although i saw several successful thru hikers with flashlights that worked just fine as well (preference there). BUT if you decide to read in a shelter at night...please carry a red cover so others around can sleep.

if you are winter hiking you always will want a dry pair of clothes ALWAYS so never wear all your clothes at once (you're just asking for hypothermia at the end of the day).

when are you starting your thru hike? how much hiking have you done prior?

takethisbread
11-25-2011, 17:55
Decide the Pack weight first, then compile your list. 25lbs seems like a doable pack weight anyhow.Leaving later reduces the pack weight the most

hambone5126
11-25-2011, 18:47
nix the towel. that seems like an obvious one. id do aquamira drops instead of a filter. thats gonna save almost a pound. when i went to trail runners i found i was able to leave camp shoes home too. thats a chunk of dead weight. thats gotta be saving over two pounds with those three things

Fats
11-25-2011, 18:53
OK, I'm getting mixed messages on some things. I need more concise input on the clothing, Right now the shirts are all cold weather (underarmor style) shirts. I am still planning on putting a bag inside my pack, and a cover outside, the extra insurance is worth the extra ounce I'll be carrying.

Sleeping bag liner is coming, I haven't ordered it yet, any thoughts on a decent one? I may make one if I can find the material for a low enough price.

I've hiked before, mostly day hikes, but a few overnighters as well. Nothing as extreme as this however. I live in the mountains, and though the past few years have seen me getting out less and less, I do still go from time to time. I know I'm going to hurt really bad for the first few weeks, and then have constant pain after that for the rest of the hike, and beyond. I am wearing good, comfortable high quality boots, trying like mad to limit weight I carry all the way around, and hoping that I can find other hikers willing to fall for the "have fun carrying the fat guy" sca...er game I have created.

I'll get the rest of the list made up, and keep the input coming, I've got a double shift tonight, but I'll try to sneak on tomorrow.

Brad

corialice81
11-25-2011, 19:02
PM sent. When are you planning on starting your thru hike?

Amanita
11-25-2011, 19:03
I haven't tested it out yet, but I have heard on good authority I will be getting a sea to summit coolmax insect shield liner for the holidays. I wanted an insect shield one so that in hot weather I can use it stand alone and not be bitten by the flying vampires. It was recently on sale at EMS.

corialice81
11-25-2011, 19:08
@Amanita, excellent choice! I carried the sea to summit coolmax (insect repellent must be a new thing) but it's slightly pricy ($50) but i carried it the whole way and LOVED it. The silk liners were too clammy for my liking.

For some info on clothes: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?78515-Oh-what-to-wear&highlight=what+to+wear

Start date can influence the clothes you bring that is why i'm asking.

Blissful
11-25-2011, 21:28
I posted on my blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2011/11/making-list-and-checking-it-twice.html) a typical gear list for a March NOBO start. I'm a tiny bit heavier on clothing (like both a down jacket and a fleece top) but I lean on the colder side.

stonedflea
11-25-2011, 21:54
use a head;lamp instead of 2 flashlights, save the soap for town, use hand sanitizer on the trail(also a good firestarter), and consider a single edge razor blade instead oif a knife ... you dont need both a liner and a pack cover ... as far as waterfproof bags for your small stuff and TP, ziplocks work fine.

my suggestion would be to make sure your rain cover fits your pack well before you head out. i was dumb and didn't try my pack cover on with my bag fully loaded, and i was forced to buy a really crappy 40$ pack cover at neels gap. it worked alright unless it was a downpour, and my belongings got wet a few times before i slid a garbage bag down in my pack.

as for zip locs, i found that the ziploc brand heavy duty freezer bags work best. and the ones that don't have the slider lock across the top.. the kind that you have to actually press the pink and blue things together to make sure they're sealed.

i would agree to spring for the headlamp because it leaves both of your hands available if you need them, but as hikerboy said, it's a personal decision. i would, though, if you're going to get a headlamp, get one with at least 32 lumens, if not many more, as you might be doing some night hiking. hahaha... the first night hike i did by myself, i was using the first headlamp i had on the trail, and it was only 8 lumens, and it was pretty stupid of me to be hiking with such crappy lighting. you live, you learn. :) i would suggest the red light setting, though, as cori said, and the spare set of batteries. it's a common courtesy to other hikers to not blind them, and it seems the insects can't see the red light as well. you don't need a 40$ headlamp. i got mine at wal-mart for ~15$.

id do aquamira drops instead of a filter. thats gonna save almost a pound. when i went to trail runners i found i was able to leave camp shoes home too. thats a chunk of dead weight. thats gotta be saving over two pounds with those three things

if you halfway entertain the idea of drops, i'm going to suggest MSR's sweetwater drops instead of aquamira. i prefer them 100 to 1 any day of the year. i lost my sweetwater drops in the shenandoahs this year, and the only thing i could replace them with once i got to harpers ferry was aqua mira. i HATE aqua mira. the chemical taste is super apparent to me, and you have to wait forever (okay, only like 20 mins) before you can drink your water.

comparison:
MSR : 1 bottle of drops. 5 drops per liter of water, then 5 minute wait time to drinking.
AQM: 2 bottles of drops. mix 7 drops of each bottle per liter of water in a small cap and let it react for 5 mins. pour it into your water, then wait another 15 minutes.

you have almost 3 times the amount of chemicals with AQM and four times the waiting period of the sweetwater drops. plus, if you lose one bottle of the AQM, or if one bottle cracks (that happened to me and at least one other hiker i know), you're screwed.

okay... i'm done with my little soapbox.

what about your camp shoes? i LOVE my crocs. for walking around town and camp, they're like little feet massagers at the end of the day.

i never had a pair of rain pants. once it warms up, you'll be hiking in the rain sans rain gear anyways. the coldest day i can remember hiking, though, was the 18 miles into hot springs, nc. it had rained the entire night and i wore my fleece under my rain jacket, and if we stopped at all, we pretty much got hypothermic. it was a horribly miserable day. a hot shower at elmer's was the only thing that kept me optimistic about that hike. :D

i would invest in a waterproof food bag. i had a 13L sea to summit eVAC dry sack. basically, it allows you to close it and then compress the air out of it once it's closed. it rained every night i was in the smokeys, and it was really nice the mornings after when i'd wake up and go get my bag off the cables and know that my food would be dry, when other hikers around me would complain about their oatmeal being soggy or whatnot.

also, quite a few hikers (myself included) had the generic "dry" sacks that outdoor products has. they sell them at wal-mart or at dick's sporting goods, and there's a small blue one, a medium-sized orange one, and a large green one. i used the green one for all of my clothes, the orange one for my cook set (cannister, stove, pot, and lighter), and i used the blue one for my personal belongings (cell phone & charger, camera & charger, extra batteries, etc.). they're relatively cheap (under 20$?), and they won't last for a second thru, but they do their job (i wouldn't submerge them, though) and you won't have to spend an arm and a leg for three dry sacks.

i used a 4.5 oz. bottle of dr. bronner's peppermint soap for toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, and washing dishes. it doesn't taste the best, but you get used to it and it's one less bottle of something that you have to carry around. and it lasts forever!

Slo-go'en
11-26-2011, 12:30
Personally, I like to have both a spare lighter and a spare flashlight. The lighter can be a mini-bic and the flashlight a keychain type. Might never need them, but good insurance to have.

Be sure to get a headlamp which uses AAA batteries. AAA's last longer and are easier/cheaper to obtain than the coin cells or other specialty batteries the mini-headlamps use. I don't bother to carry spare batteries for my AAA headlamp, but I would if I had one which used a special battery.

Fats
11-27-2011, 15:18
You guys are awesome, give me a bit as I am about to drive into town and do some shopping. I'll start replying as soon as possible.

My camp shoes are Crocks. They used to be my fathers, and I made fun of them all the time (it didn't help that he would wear black socks with them.) When he died I ended up with all his clothing, including the Crocks. I tried them on and instantly fell in love. These things are awesome!

Brad

Fats
11-28-2011, 00:20
I haven't tested it out yet, but I have heard on good authority I will be getting a sea to summit coolmax insect shield liner for the holidays. I wanted an insect shield one so that in hot weather I can use it stand alone and not be bitten by the flying vampires. It was recently on sale at EMS.
Good reminder, someone told me to get some sort of mosquito head cover before going.(mainly for black flies) Any ideas on what to get? All my gear and clothing will be treated before going.

my suggestion would be to make sure your rain cover fits your pack well before you head out. i was dumb and didn't try my pack cover on with my bag fully loaded, and i was forced to buy a really crappy 40$ pack cover at neels gap. it worked alright unless it was a downpour, and my belongings got wet a few times before i slid a garbage bag down in my pack.

I should have the material to make a rain cover for my pack in the next few days. It was ordered a week ago, and I am expecting it any day now.

as for zip locs, i found that the ziploc brand heavy duty freezer bags work best. and the ones that don't have the slider lock across the top.. the kind that you have to actually press the pink and blue things together to make sure they're sealed.

Do you mean the blue colored ones?

i would agree to spring for the headlamp because it leaves both of your hands available if you need them, but as hikerboy said, it's a personal decision. i would, though, if you're going to get a headlamp, get one with at least 32 lumens, if not many more, as you might be doing some night hiking. hahaha... the first night hike i did by myself, i was using the first headlamp i had on the trail, and it was only 8 lumens, and it was pretty stupid of me to be hiking with such crappy lighting. you live, you learn. :) i would suggest the red light setting, though, as cori said, and the spare set of batteries. it's a common courtesy to other hikers to not blind them, and it seems the insects can't see the red light as well. you don't need a 40$ headlamp. i got mine at wal-mart for ~15$.

The trail light I have now is a low powered LED that uses those little button batteries. It does have a red setting which was the reason I got it, Red lets you see without ruining your night vision. I'm going to pack extra batteries for it, I already have to carry the darn things for my hearing aid.

if you halfway entertain the idea of drops, i'm going to suggest MSR's sweetwater drops instead of aquamira. i prefer them 100 to 1 any day of the year. i lost my sweetwater drops in the shenandoahs this year, and the only thing i could replace them with once i got to harpers ferry was aqua mira. i HATE aqua mira. the chemical taste is super apparent to me, and you have to wait forever (okay, only like 20 mins) before you can drink your water.
what about your camp shoes? i LOVE my crocs. for walking around town and camp, they're like little feet massagers at the end of the day.

I don't think I could do the drops for many reasons, they would save me weight, but I have never liked the after taste any I have tried has left.

i never had a pair of rain pants. once it warms up, you'll be hiking in the rain sans rain gear anyways. the coldest day i can remember hiking, though, was the 18 miles into hot springs, nc. it had rained the entire night and i wore my fleece under my rain jacket, and if we stopped at all, we pretty much got hypothermic. it was a horribly miserable day. a hot shower at elmer's was the only thing that kept me optimistic about that hike. :D

Yea, I can see myself leaving the pants at some point, but I don't want to get wet, cold, and miserable (more than needed) because of something I could have avoided.

i would invest in a waterproof food bag. i had a 13L sea to summit eVAC dry sack. basically, it allows you to close it and then compress the air out of it once it's closed. it rained every night i was in the smokeys, and it was really nice the mornings after when i'd wake up and go get my bag off the cables and know that my food would be dry, when other hikers around me would complain about their oatmeal being soggy or whatnot.

I am dehydrating, and placing each days food into vacuum sealed bags, That's for another thread, but it's been interesting. In each days food bag will also be the days vitamins, and some other random items (assorted candy, gum, hundred dollar bills, etc.) That's also a work in progress, but it's getting there.

also, quite a few hikers (myself included) had the generic "dry" sacks that outdoor products has. they sell them at wal-mart or at dick's sporting goods, and there's a small blue one, a medium-sized orange one, and a large green one. i used the green one for all of my clothes, the orange one for my cook set (cannister, stove, pot, and lighter), and i used the blue one for my personal belongings (cell phone & charger, camera & charger, extra batteries, etc.). they're relatively cheap (under 20$?), and they won't last for a second thru, but they do their job (i wouldn't submerge them, though) and you won't have to spend an arm and a leg for three dry sacks.
I got them today after reading this, I had looked at them before, but thought they couldnt be that good since they were at Wal-Mart. $9.00 for all 3! THANKS!!

i used a 4.5 oz. bottle of dr. bronner's peppermint soap for toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, and washing dishes. it doesn't taste the best, but you get used to it and it's one less bottle of something that you have to carry around. and it lasts forever!
Wait....We have to wash stuff? Aren't there women on the trail for that? :-? I'M KIDDING!!!!

I'll have to think about this for a bit, in theory I could place small single use soaps in my food bags, and I am trying to make each meal where I never dirty a dish (all cooked in bags.)

Personally, I like to have both a spare lighter and a spare flashlight. The lighter can be a mini-bic and the flashlight a keychain type. Might never need them, but good insurance to have.

Be sure to get a headlamp which uses AAA batteries. AAA's last longer and are easier/cheaper to obtain than the coin cells or other specialty batteries the mini-headlamps use. I don't bother to carry spare batteries for my AAA headlamp, but I would if I had one which used a special battery.

I have a little waterproof compartment on my first flashlight I'll add a small lighter into it, I also added the AAA battery flashlight to my list, great input.

I also removed a shirt from the list.

On the down jacket. I have one in the closet, and it's warm. The last time I was able to wear it (and the only time) was last year when it got down to -10 for a few days here and I still had to do stuff outside. It kept me warm, but I left it opened partway because it got too warm. I'll dig it out and weigh it, and we can debate taking it or not from there. I am the type that wears a pullover most of the winter typically, I only start wearing a jacket once it gets down to freezing, and an actual winter coat below that. I still want to be warm, but I think I may modify my underquilt or overquilt for the hammock to be able to bundle up in it if I get cold. I suspect that I will be sleeping more than sitting around though.

Keep the thoughts coming guys, one of you will probably save my life. :banana

Brad

Amanita
11-28-2011, 02:21
The following suggestions should be taken with a grain of salt:

Pack: Looks like yours is over 6lbs. Getting your pack weight so low with that beast on the list is impressive! Seems like a prime candidate for revision/replacement. If you don't like the options at your local stores you could look at the Neels Gap selection once you've had three days to daydream about all the things you're sending home. Just remember that the ultralight packs require ultralight loads, so take recommended max load into consideration when you're looking.

Ace bandage: Are you wearing it? hard to tell. If it's being carried or is wrapped around your hiking stick I would advise ditching it unless you're prone to ankle injuries. Most people don't know how to wrap one properly and they're not very useful unless you do. An improvisation could always be made out of duct tape, which you're carrying anyway.

Spoon/fork: If you're freezer bag cooking I'd say just bring a long handled spoon. Forks can poke holes in the bag and aren't good for getting into the corners. Chopsticks sound useless with the kind of food that freezer bag cooking makes.

Clothes: Unless you're starting in sub freezing temps, you're going to roast. I'd advise bring the sleep clothes to wear around camp/sleeping OR use the long underwear for sleeping ONLY. You need something dry to wear at the end of the day. Leave the second pair of pants at home. I'm a huge proponent of hiking in long johns with shorts (or in my case a skirt) as a modesty measure, as long as the temps are below 40. Any warmer than that and you really just want shorts+tshirt.

Socks: You have no spare socks listed. You'll want at least a dry pair for camp to sleep in. Add an extra pair for hiking in as well.

Underwear: personal choice, but I have heard many a horror story about "crotch rot" and "monkey but"

Toilet paper + hand sanitizer: If you're thinking about leaving these behind, don't! If you haven't used them by day 3 then A. Stop shaking hands with people B. prepare to need lots and lots of tp in the very near future.

Bug net: I have a sea to summit head net, and it has saved my sanity through some swampy areas. Weighs 1oz with stuff sack, but requires a brimmed hat to hold it of the face.

Fats
11-29-2011, 15:40
OK, things are changing, I've moved the date of the hike.....13 months ahead.

So now it's set for March of 2013

This should give me even more time to prepare, cut into the gear, and lighten the load even more. Prepare more food, and save more money.

I could lie and say that this was all my idea, but it's not something I want to do, just something I have to do.

If I simply loved my wife I would still be leaving this February, as it is I cherish her, and I have to put her needs above my dreams.

I will fill my days off this year with hiking more trails around here. We don't have a lot in this area, but there are some within a 2 hour drive.

I've also set a goal weight loss for this time next year, smaller size for me means less weight in clothing.

Brad

q-tip
11-29-2011, 15:59
I am passing along my "Shoulder Season" Gear List---It seems stuck at 17 lbs-$400 just too much to save a pound on a sleeping bag..I hope this helps....

Colorado Trail Gear List-5

Big Three:

Weight Oz.

Weight Lbs.

Summer Gear List

· GG Crown 60 Pack w/ lid-

o Pack Cover-

· Tent-TT Contrail-

o Ground Cloth-

o Stakes (10)-

o Stuff Sack-

· WM 15 Degree Down Bag

o Stuff Sacks

· Neo Air Mattress

o Suff Sack

Total:

Clothing (Carried)

· MB Wind Pants-

· Marmot Mica Jacket-

· Marmot Dri-Climb Vest

· Mont Bell Down Camp Jacket-

· Silk Mid-Weight Sleep Shirt-

· Silk Mid-Weight Sleep Leggings-

· Sleep Socks (1)-Wool

· Hiking Socks (X-tra-1)-

· Sock Liners (X-tra-1)-

· UA Hiking Leggings-

· Fleece Hat (1)-

· Fleece Gloves(2 pr.)-

· Garbage Bag Rain Shirt-

· Garbage Bag Rain Skirt-

· Plastic Hand covers (3)-

· Extra Plastic Bags-

· Bandana (2)

· Running Hat-

`

· Stuff Sack-

· Balaclava-

· Sunglasses

· Crocs

Total:

Hygiene/Medical/Emergency/Stuff

· Tooth Brush-Toothpaste

· Ultraight Mirror-

· First Aid Kit-

o Medical Tape-

-

-

o Gauze-1 Roll-

-

-

o 3 Band Aids-

-

-

o 3 Alcohol Wipes-

-

-

o Tweezer-

· Toilet Paper-

· Hand Sanitizer-

· Vitamin I-

· Medications-

· Sun Screen-

· Lip Balm-

· Duct Tape-

· Emergency Kit-

o Needle-Thread-

-

-

o Safety Pins (4)-

-

-

o Tent-Pad Repair Kit-

-

-

· Bic Lighter (1)-

· Waterproof Matches (1 Box)-

· Spare Batteries-

· Pen-Paper-

· Head Lamp-

· Trail Maps-

· Deet-

· Pillow Cover

· Stuff Sack-

· Clock

Total:

Cook System:

· Soto Stove-

· Fuel (8 oz)-

· Cook Pot-

· Spoon-

· Stuff Sack (Stove)-

· Stuff Sack (Food)-

· Bear Rope-

· Towel-

· Pot Stabilizer

· Bic Lighter-

Total:

Water Treatment:

· Steri Pen w/ Batteries-Case-

· Chemical Tabs (2 Bottles)-

· Nalgene UL Water Bottle (1)-

· MSR Bladder (80 oz)-

Total:

Wearing:

· Ex Officio Long Sleeve Shirt-

· Running Shorts-

· Hiking Socks-

· Sock Liners-

· Hiking Poles-Leki-

· Salomon GTX Train Runners

· Camera-Olympus 3000+ Batteries

· Camera/Map Case-

· Reading Glasses (1)-

· Knife/Whistle/Compass-

· Watch/Chest Strap (Ht Rate Monitor)-

· Knee Braces-

Total:

Electronics:

· MP3/Headphones/Charger-

· Cell Phone/Charger-

· Camera Charger-

Total:

Other:

· Ditty Bag-

o Credit Cards (2)-

-

-

o Cash-

-

-

o Drivers License-

-

-

o Insurance Card-

-

-

o Phone Card-

-

-

o Extra Reading Glasses (1)-

o Emergency Numbers-

-

-

Total:

Food-Water

Water Carried-

Food-4 Days-1.7 Lbs/Day

Totals:

Grand Totals:

Base Weight In Pack

Weight Worn

Skin-Out Base Weight

Total Base Weight Pack + Food + Water

Weight Worn

Skin-Out Weight Total

Fats
11-29-2011, 16:30
I had a reply typed out, hit reply and it all "went away". Lets try this again. :eek:

The following suggestions should be taken with a grain of salt:

Pack: Looks like yours is over 6lbs. Getting your pack weight so low with that beast on the list is impressive! Seems like a prime candidate for revision/replacement. If you don't like the options at your local stores you could look at the Neels Gap selection once you've had three days to daydream about all the things you're sending home. Just remember that the ultralight packs require ultralight loads, so take recommended max load into consideration when you're looking.

The pack will be changing by the time I leave. The original Pack, Tent, Sleeping pad, MSR Water filter, and a few other no longer around items were donated by a friend. I've been slowly changing out items and telling him as easily as I can that I need lighter. We don't even want to get into what the tent weighs, it's nice, but I can get lighter at Wal-Mart. ;) It's my "back up" now.

Ace bandage: Are you wearing it? hard to tell. If it's being carried or is wrapped around your hiking stick I would advise ditching it unless you're prone to ankle injuries. Most people don't know how to wrap one properly and they're not very useful unless you do. An improvisation could always be made out of duct tape, which you're carrying anyway.

I need more information on a Duct tape support bandage. I was planning on wrapping the Ace Bandage around my hiking poles, but would gladly substitute a little more duct tape as it is lighter, and has more uses.

Spoon/fork: If you're freezer bag cooking I'd say just bring a long handled spoon. Forks can poke holes in the bag and aren't good for getting into the corners. Chopsticks sound useless with the kind of food that freezer bag cooking makes.

Great idea, I've read through and utensils seem to be one of those items that get ignored in journals for the most part.

Clothes: Unless you're starting in sub freezing temps, you're going to roast. I'd advise bring the sleep clothes to wear around camp/sleeping OR use the long underwear for sleeping ONLY. You need something dry to wear at the end of the day. Leave the second pair of pants at home. I'm a huge proponent of hiking in long johns with shorts (or in my case a skirt) as a modesty measure, as long as the temps are below 40. Any warmer than that and you really just want shorts+tshirt.

I'll be changing my clothing as well. I think I can drop another pound at least in this category.

Socks: You have no spare socks listed. You'll want at least a dry pair for camp to sleep in. Add an extra pair for hiking in as well.

:eek: My socks are gone, I had two other pairs listed, they are already counted in the weight. Is 3 pair enough?

Underwear: personal choice, but I have heard many a horror story about "crotch rot" and "monkey but"

One of the items I am dropping in exchange for weight.

Toilet paper + hand sanitizer: If you're thinking about leaving these behind, don't! If you haven't used them by day 3 then A. Stop shaking hands with people B. prepare to need lots and lots of tp in the very near future.

Bwahahaha, People that know me have a little bet on how long it'll take for me to lose my mind because I can't wash my hands constantly. I will have the camp fuel (alcohol) and some baby wipes in my meal bags.

Bug net: I have a sea to summit head net, and it has saved my sanity through some swampy areas. Weighs 1oz with stuff sack, but requires a brimmed hat to hold it of the face.

On my list of things to get.

Though I have put this hike off for a year I am still planning just like I am going on two months. I am also going on more "test hikes" in the mountains south of here.

I started planning this out two years ago.

A year ago , after one year of planning I think my pack weight was around 40 pounds, without food. I doubt I would have made it past the first week. 90% chance of failure.

This year after 2 years of planning I have finally got my pack to a weight that is acceptable to me, and won't handicap my hike. If I left in two months I would make it, of this I am 100% sure, but I would be miserable for most of the hike.

In another year I will fine tune the machine, do my best to make my hike the best hike possible. I am not wanting to put everything off for another year, but I will make the best of it, and use time to my advantage.

Brad

One Half
11-29-2011, 16:39
A year ago , after one year of planning I think my pack weight was around 40 pounds, without food. I doubt I would have made it past the first week. 90% chance of failure.

This year after 2 years of planning I have finally got my pack to a weight that is acceptable to me, and won't handicap my hike. If I left in two months I would make it, of this I am 100% sure, but I would be miserable for most of the hike.

In another year I will fine tune the machine, do my best to make my hike the best hike possible. I am not wanting to put everything off for another year, but I will make the best of it, and use time to my advantage.

Brad

Awesome attitude!

Spokes
11-29-2011, 17:12
Here's my standard reply for all "look at my gear list" posts. (Ignore any popup screens...... to links below).

Compare your list to this one from pack guru Winton Porter. It's about as good as you'll find and tried and true. Add a trash compactor bag for a pack liner and a 100 weight fleece jacket if you like

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

Check out this 10 page article on hiking the AT. Full of useful information and descriptions of each major section. Print it out and refer to often as you plan.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Oh, and makes copy of Baltimore Jacks Re-Supply PDF (found on the main WB homepage in the left hand column). It's dated but still useful.

If you bone up on all that info you'll be way ahead of most people you'll meet on your first day on the trail.....

Cheers!