PDA

View Full Version : Utility: CT/AT/PCT

steve hiker
03-05-2005, 22:14
Economists call the satisfaction derived from an activity or a thing to be its "utility." For example, a person may chose to go sailing rather than scrub his toilet on the weekend because he derives more utility from the former activity.

With this principle in mind, which trail yielded the most utility for you: the Colorado Trail, AT, or PCT. Since the CT is shorter than the other two, you may need to adjust for length in formumlating your response.

fiddlehead
04-10-2005, 22:59
You don't mention the CDT for some reason. It happens to be my favorite as it taught me so much: How to feel at home in the wilderness, How to find water in the desert, How to climb fences, Bushwhack, Map and compass, camp in griz country, deal with Indians and land grant folks, etc. But most importantly, you get to see the most beauty per mile! It has the best finish if you're northbound and finish at the lake instead of the easy way out to the border crossing. I only hope that they don't mark it all the way and put everybody on a well worn trail. Keep it free!

The Hog
04-11-2005, 06:36
I agree with Fiddlehead that the CDT is a glaring omission. But, to be honest, the premise of this thread assumes that we can look at trails thru an economist's eye, which is too much of a reach for me. I recall seeing a sign on the AT touting the worth of the woods it was passing thru in terms of board feet and how many homes could be constructed, etc. It made me sick.

"Utility?"

I have been on many trails, and have had transcendent moments on many of them. An earthquake jolting me out of sleep at Jeffers Brook shelter on the AT. A grizzly snapping its jaws at me on the CDT. A mind-blowing panorama on Paintbrush Divide in the Grand Tetons.

I don't rank these things in my head. I'm just grateful for them.

smokymtnsteve
12-27-2005, 00:02
I gotta woodstove :rolleyes:

Spirit Walker
12-27-2005, 11:18
I agree with Fiddlehead - the CDT was my favorite - the most beautiful, the most challenging, and the most remote with best wildlife.

Nean
12-28-2005, 00:47
My favorite always seems to be the trail I'm on. :confused: I don't think I've done enough to figure it out:o so the plan is to hike some more and see!