PDA

View Full Version : So - how far does a thru hiker actually walk?

hikerjohnd
03-06-2005, 00:28
I've been thinking about the length of the trail, then the trips to town, then the trips to water, then the trips to the shelters, and then the trips to do everything else done off the trail and I got to wondering.

How far does a thru hiker actually walk over the course of a thru hike?

Has anyone taken time to calculate this? Or am I the only weirdo who has thought about it? :sun

hungryhowie
03-06-2005, 01:41
I carried a mileage wheel with me on my thruhike. I kept two locks on it every night, one combination, and one keyed. I used two different types of locks because even if they could get the combination (which I changed daily) out of me in my sleep, they wouldn't ever want to find the key ;)

I logged exactly how far I walked in the 5 months 3 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours, 12 minutes, and 38.6 seconds between the time the palm of my hand rested on the plaque on Springer Mountain and the plaque on Katahdin, and separated that total into categories of "official AT", side-trial hiking, road walking, in town, etc.

My official answer?

a long way.

:jump

(note: after writing this I see that it could be taken that I am making fun of your post. I assure you that I'm not making fun, rather I'm just having fun :) )

-howie

hikerjohnd
03-06-2005, 01:44
I carried a mileage wheel with me on my thruhike. I kept two locks on it every night, one combination, and one keyed. I used two different types of locks because even if they could get the combination (which I changed daily) out of me in my sleep, they wouldn't ever want to find the key ;)

I logged exactly how far I walked in the 5 months 3 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours, 12 minutes, and 38.6 seconds between the time the palm of my hand rested on the plaque on Springer Mountain and the plaque on Katahdin, and separated that total into categories of "official AT", side-trial hiking, road walking, in town, etc.

My official answer?

a long way.

:jump

(note: after writing this I see that it could be taken that I am making fun of your post. I assure you that I'm not making fun, rather I'm just having fun :) )

-howie
I am really laughing here - I read the post thinking wow - someone who has thought about this. Then - nothing but flashbacks to prom night. :D

Youngblood
03-06-2005, 09:42
There are some variables, like zero days in towns and whether you spend those zero days walking around exploring the towns or not. And how many miles per day you hike; the higher your daily mileage the lower the percentage of 'off trail' miles because you likely wouldn't be taking trips off trail as often.

I would guess that you probably add anywhere between 5 to 15% on to the actual trail miles on the course of a thru-hike.

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 11:09
I've been thinking about the length of the trail, then the trips to town, then the trips to water, then the trips to the shelters, and then the trips to do everything else done off the trail and I got to wondering.

How far does a thru hiker actually walk over the course of a thru hike?

Has anyone taken time to calculate this? Or am I the only weirdo who has thought about it? :sun

From doing my section hikes I thought about this, so on my last couple which included re-supply and such I calculated or paced all these distances (except for stuff like privy trips and walking around camp). I found that about 10% over on the average is what I did if you include water, side trails to overlooks, shelter trails, and walking down to the re-supply and back. Of course the re-supply points I had were not that bad, places like Rainbow Springs, Neels Gap, and the NOC. I would guess that 10% to 15% is a good rule of thumb.

Footslogger
03-06-2005, 11:42
From doing my section hikes I thought about this, so on my last couple which included re-supply and such I calculated or paced all these distances (except for stuff like privy trips and walking around camp). I found that about 10% over on the average is what I did if you include water, side trails to overlooks, shelter trails, and walking down to the re-supply and back. Of course the re-supply points I had were not that bad, places like Rainbow Springs, Neels Gap, and the NOC. I would guess that 10% to 15% is a good rule of thumb.=====================================
Soooooo ...in theory I actually walked 2000 miles before I got to the 2000 mile marker on the trail !! No wonder that dat gawned hike seemed longer to me in 2003 !!

'Slogger

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 13:43
=====================================
Soooooo ...in theory I actually walked 2000 miles before I got to the 2000 mile marker on the trail !! No wonder that dat gawned hike seemed longer to me in 2003 !!

'Slogger

Yep, in all probability you had probably walked 2,000 miles by the time you reached 1,820 mile mark. :eek:

cutman11
03-06-2005, 20:47
Which may be why we think of Harper's Ferry as the mid point at 1000 mi, you gotta add the 150 side miles hiked by that point.;)