PDA

View Full Version : 80 miles from Bly Gap to Springer

jimtabor
11-26-2011, 20:12
I have been told that from Bly Gap to Springer is a very hard section and plan on only walking 10 to 12 miles a day unless you are in really really in good shape. I have 7 days to walk the 80 miles . On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is this section ? I walk run 35 to 40 miles per week, am 52 years old and carry 25 to 30 pounds when I hike.

Malto
11-26-2011, 20:49
Nobody can tell you what you are capable of doing, but, I would think any reasonably motivated hiker can easily do that stretch in 7 days. You could hike 1 mph and make the miles. And I have hiked or ran that section multiple times, each time doing over 30 mile days. But not knowing what a 1 or a 10 is in your book, I can't give it a rating.

Lone Wolf
11-26-2011, 21:06
1 being easy and 10 being tough, i'd give it a 3. it's not a tough section

Summit
11-26-2011, 21:09
I may be making the wrong assumption, but since you're asking this question, I assume your hiking experience is limited. Sounds like you are exercising enough but you also do not mention whether or not you are overweight? But if you are walking/running 35 to 40 miles per week you shouldn't have any trouble averaging 11.2 miles per day on this section.
You do realize I hope that Bly Gap is not easily accessible, i.e. you can't drive up to it and start. There are some very obscure forest service roads that can get you close. If you haven't done the research, do a search here on WB for "Bly Gap Access." As I recall the subject has been beat to death, so I'll not repeat or belabor the options here! :) Good luck in your hike and go for it!

jimtabor
11-26-2011, 21:38
I am a day hiker in south central Pennsylvania. I weight 195 , I have never done a 7 day hike. When I hike the AT its Caledonia to Pen Mar , and Caledonia to Pine Grove over the rocks. I can do 10 miles over this section in about 3 to 4 hours with 15 to 20 pounds. Thanks for the reply. I have been to springer and blood mt on day hikes

Blissful
11-26-2011, 21:52
I think the Stecoahs are harder...

Summit
11-26-2011, 21:56
Jim, it is not a particularly tough section of the AT. I sense your challenge is transitioning from day hiking to overnight backpacking. Make sure you know your gear (tent, sleeping bag, etc.) and are comfortable with dealing with incliment weather (you're likely to experience some during a week in the mountains). You can do a mail drop to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap so you don't have to carry 7 days worth of food. You might want to stay a night at their hostel as well . . . very nostalgic! Keep your total pack weight to < 30 lbs and you'll do fine.

FatMan
11-26-2011, 22:51
I have been told that from Bly Gap to Springer is a very hard section and plan on only walking 10 to 12 miles a day unless you are in really really in good shape....What you have been told is quite accurate. I suspect you will do OK but expect it to be very tough and challenging.

But as is typical you have received the standard WB replies suggesting it will be a piece of cake. It won't be.

Slo-go'en
11-27-2011, 13:03
It sounds like you want to do the state of Georgia. The easiest place to start would be at Deep Gap, just south of Standing Indian on USFS road 71. That puts you 83 miles from Springer. I think going SOBO from there would be a tad easier then NOBO from Springer.

Now for daily milage. If your like 99% of AT hikers, you will be staying at the shelter sites. Maybe not in the shelter, but at the site. This sets you milage. On average, the shelters in this section are about 8 miles apart. If you want to go farther 8, but less then 16, you'll have to camp between shelters. There are pleanty of spots to do this, but remember to carry enough water from the last shelter, as there will be none to speak of between shelters in this area.

If your in reasonably good shape, I think you will find that after a few 8 mile warm up days, doing the 16 or so for every other shelter won't be too hard to do.

Lone Wolf
11-27-2011, 13:09
But as is typical you have received the standard WB replies suggesting it will be a piece of cake. It won't be.have you walked any of the AT other than georgia? compared to other sections/states georgia is a "piece of cake"

Slo-go'en
11-27-2011, 14:30
have you walked any of the AT other than georgia? compared to other sections/states georgia is a "piece of cake"

True, compared to Maine or NH, Georgia is really easy. But for the majority of folks just starting out of shape and overloaded, for them Georgia is anything but a "piece of cake".

max patch
11-27-2011, 14:35
FWIW, the ATC rates Georgia as a 6 on a 1-10 scale. Seems about right to me.

If you have hiked up Blood N-S you have done what is arguably the hardest climb in Georgia.

FatMan
11-27-2011, 15:13
have you walked any of the AT other than georgia? compared to other sections/states georgia is a "piece of cake"Yes I have. And for you to suggest it is a 3 on a scale of 10 is typical of your bad advice to inexperienced hikers on this forum. Georgia is at least a 5 or a 6 in comparison to the rest of the trail, and apparently the ATC agrees. But I know, you know such much more than they do.

Just yesterday I spoke with two hikers in their 30s near Blackwell Creek that were planning to make it to Unicoi in 4 days based upon reading the sage advise here on WB. They will make it to Neels, or Hogpen at best, and that's it. Thought 15-20 miles a day would be no problem. Yeah, right.

Lone Wolf
11-27-2011, 15:40
And for you to suggest it is a 3 on a scale of 10 is typical of your bad advice to inexperienced hikers on this forum. Georgia is at least a 5 or a 6 in comparison to the rest of the trail, and apparently the ATC agrees. But I know, you know such much more than they do.

you have your opinion. i have mine. my estimate of a number on a scale is not "advice". remember, it's just walkin' not rocket science. never used to a website to learn how to walk.

Malto
11-27-2011, 16:58
Just yesterday I spoke with two hikers in their 30s near Blackwell Creek that were planning to make it to Unicoi in 4 days based upon reading the sage advise here on WB. They will make it to Neels, or Hogpen at best, and that's it. Thought 15-20 miles a day would be no problem. Yeah, right.

This is why it is almost pointless to ask a group how easy a section of trail might be. Every hiker should have a good feel about their ability and be able to look at mileage and elevation profiles and make an informed judgement. There are way too many variables to determine how far someone can go. Pack weight, really really fitness, what time they hit the trail, what time they stop, whether they have to stay at shelters, whether their feet are conditioned, weather, time of year(daylight) and the biggest variable of all - motivation to hit their objective. So until someone lays out all this information then each person gives an assessment of difficulty based on their experiences. And some people can cruise the uphills faster than most can walk downhills and others will hike from can't see to can't see and do very high miles. So if the hikers in their 30's misjudged their capability then they learned an important lesson, or they will toughen up a bit and hike a bit longer to hit their objective.

Mountain Shuttler
11-27-2011, 21:03
I bet that I've hiked in Georgia a lot more than you have and I still say that hiking the AT here for most folks ain't that easy! I've picked up many people who had to cut their trip short because they heard from some know-it-all smart-ass that the GA section was easy!

Mountain Shuttler
11-27-2011, 21:06
The above comment was meant for Lone Wolf!

Mountain Shuttler
11-27-2011, 21:09
Yes I have. And for you to suggest it is a 3 on a scale of 10 is typical of your bad advice to inexperienced hikers on this forum. Georgia is at least a 5 or a 6 in comparison to the rest of the trail, and apparently the ATC agrees. But I know, you know such much more than they do.

Just yesterday I spoke with two hikers in their 30s near Blackwell Creek that were planning to make it to Unicoi in 4 days based upon reading the sage advise here on WB. They will make it to Neels, or Hogpen at best, and that's it. Thought 15-20 miles a day would be no problem. Yeah, right. Glad to hear that somebody on here can give an accurate answer. Thanks FatMan!

Lone Wolf
11-27-2011, 21:10
I bet that I've hiked in Georgia a lot more than you have and I still say that hiking the AT here for most folks ain't that easy! I've picked up many people who had to cut their trip short because they heard from some know-it-all smart-ass that the GA section was easy!i've only done the georgia section about 16 times and found it easy each time. and the folks that cut their trips short are just out of shape wannabes. :)

bmwsmity
11-27-2011, 21:22

Well, as others have said, there's too many variables to say unequivocally how possible distances can be.

I hiked from Springer to the NOC in 11 days (12.27mi/day), and snow was on the ground for 10 of the 11 days... There were waist-deep snowdrifts for miles, ice, and rained the whole last day... I had spoon-sized blisters on both feet, and a pinched nerve that made part of my leg numb. There were many days I did 15+ miles.

Granted, I was only 29 at the time, but I'd never hiked more than an overnighter. I was just exceptionally motivated by someone at Neels Gap telling me there was "no way" I'd make it further than Franklin in 11 days in those conditions. That's all I needed to make my goal.

I'd say for someone who's of above average fitness, with reasonable pack weight, highly motivated, and with decent weather, 15+ miles a day in GA is completely reasonable for someone in their 30's.

Summit
11-27-2011, 21:39
i've only done the georgia section about 16 times and found it easy each time. and the folks that cut their trips short are just out of shape wannabes. :)Should we trust someone who sleeps with their food for a pillow? :eek: Just messin' w/ya LW! :)

azb
11-27-2011, 21:58
I think at least part of the reputation of this stretch of trail is based on the fact that the vast majority of thru hikers start on Springer and head north. Many of these folk are new to hiking, and not quite in trail shape yet. The first part of the trail makes a huge impression on them. Not to say it's a piece of cake, parts of it are pretty relentless with their up the side of one pointless mountain, only to go right back down and back up a series of pointless hills.But there are easier sections too. From woody gap south the trail is wide, smooth and flat for several miles...But I don't think you'd have any problem doing that section in 7 days barring an injury or some other issue. Have fun!Az

Freedom Walker
11-27-2011, 22:32
I have been told that from Bly Gap to Springer is a very hard section and plan on only walking 10 to 12 miles a day unless you are in really really in good shape. I have 7 days to walk the 80 miles . On a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is this section ? I walk run 35 to 40 miles per week, am 52 years old and carry 25 to 30 pounds when I hike.

14472 I am 57 yrs old and in great shape for my age. But alas my knees are showing what 35 plus years of standing daily on concrete floors, along with bending, squatting doing retail work. Two AT hikes have resulted in knee problems each time. I believe you are capable of doing the miles, but watch the knees. Try to do some serious mountain hiking with your planned pack weight before attemping the hike.

High Jacker
11-28-2011, 15:07
I attempted this last December with a very similar story... had never done a 7 day, only overnights to Blood/Springer. I can tell you that this section is challenging, but doable. When are you doing it? The temps will continue to drop into December and it will be cold.

Have you done a 3 or 4 day (2 or 3 nights) hike before? If not, I'd start there first... honestly it's big difference from the day hikes you describe in earlier posts.

One last note - I'm 28 and in excellent shape. That meant little.

neonshaw
12-03-2011, 08:37
i have hiked the ga section several times. i am in pretty good shape, dont let anyone fool you, the ga section is tough, its like a roller coaster, up one mntn down another. after 30 days on the trail ga wouldnt be a problem but just starting out it will kick your a**

MuddyWaters
12-03-2011, 13:32
no one can tell you how long it will take YOU.

It will take you as long as you want it too.

If your pace is slower than you intended, then you hike longer days. Start before sunrise, and hike till after dark.

You can hike 2 mph for 8 hrs a day, or 1.5 mph for 11 hrs per day, or 1mph for 16 hrs a day = the same thing.

58starter
12-03-2011, 20:25
I may be just a Section Hiker, but I have hiked all of Ga/NC/and most of TN. My first section hike was Springer to Unicoi Gap. I was 58 and it took me 5 and 1/2 days and some sections kicked my butt. I do a lot better now and can make that 10-12 mile day every once in a while. I have enjoyed all of the trail so far, summer, winter , spring or fall.