PDA

View Full Version : why has anybody famous never attempted a thru-hike?

colbys
03-06-2005, 05:20
as to my knowledge,there has never been any celebrity or psuedo-celebrity to attempt a thru-hike.by celebrity im not talking about earl schaffer or wingfoot or a trail celebrity,im talking like a-listers or b listers.im actully surprised that no body has to this point.i mean could anybody super famous ever even think the AT was for them?theres got to be some people out there who are famous who like to hike long distances and would have considered it ,right?
at first you'd think that them being famous would hinder their hike with all of us out there bothering them and being starstruck.but being a former thru-hiker myself,i think they would just become another hiking buddy and blend in like the rest of us.
well at least the paparazzi wouldnt be able to follow em!!

Lone Wolf
03-06-2005, 08:13
There was that somewhat famous ballerina guy, Jacques Tootight or something like that, who pranced his way from Georgia to Maine raising money for a NYC ballet thingy.

superman
03-06-2005, 09:12
A thru hike takes precious time that famous people, who are in the process of their careers, can ill afford to squander. Even when their career wanes they have to stand ready in case the phone rings. They don't get that clean cut retirement date like us regular folks get. "Famous" is a relative thing. We've had generals and other successful people who are famous in their own world. I get a kick out of the general public mistaking thru hikers as "homeless" or something like that since I suspect that thru hikers are usually better off than the people making the wrong assumption. I think thru hikers usually have some bucks someplace even if it's in mommy and daddy's pocket. Yes, there are exceptions.

Cedar Tree
03-06-2005, 10:23
I can't remember his name, but didn't one of our former Supreme Court Judges thru-hike?
CT

Doctari
03-06-2005, 10:25
He wasnt famous when he hiked, but a thru hiker eventually became chief justus of the supreme court (USA). I think it was Douglas. Do that count?
I'm sure there are a few thru or section hikers who eventually became famous, but I don't know who.
A poster here is a rather "famous" renaissance fair actor, & he has sectioned the entire AT. Well, at least his show is very famous, and those who have seen it know well who he is.

Doctari.

MOWGLI
03-06-2005, 10:42
Mayor Bob Corker of Chattanooga section hikes occasiionally. Miss janet shuttled him in '04. He's running for Bill Frist's seat in the US Senate in '06.

rickb
03-06-2005, 11:11
Less than 1 of every 150,000 americans start a thru hike each year-- and for many years it was much less than that.

How many celebreties are out there?

The only semi-famous perswon I know of who hiked the AT was the founder/CEO of the billion-dollar supermarket chain Whole Food's Market.

I know Nelix of Startrek fame expressed an interest on the official website at one time. Perhaps we could enourage him to post. Are you out there Nelix!

Rick B

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 11:12
Wasn't there a guy that played pro basketball for a few years that thru-hiked?

tribes
03-06-2005, 11:15
He wasnt famous when he hiked, but a thru hiker eventually became chief justus of the supreme court (USA). I think it was Douglas. Do that count?

Doctari.

Actually, Hugh O Douglas was an Associate Justice, not Chief Justice. He was a 2000 miler, not a thru hiker. I believe he had finished all the trail before there was a such thing as a thru hiker.

tri :sun bes

Lugnut
03-06-2005, 11:42
One of my biggest fears is that Oprah will start hiking the trail. Can you imagine the thousands, upon thousands, of her blind sheep followers who would want do the same thing just because she was. :eek: :D

Groucho
03-06-2005, 11:54
Wasn't there a guy that played pro basketball for a few years that thru-hiked?

7'2" Serge Zwicker (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=serge+zwicker&btnG=Google+Search) played for UNC (Carolina) and was drafted by the Houston Rockets. I don't know if he completed a thru.
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/viking.gif

Lone Wolf
03-06-2005, 11:58
Easy there Lugnut. I like Oprah.

DMA, 2000
03-06-2005, 12:12
There's a woman on the US soccer team (Abby Wambach, perhaps, and I don't even think I spelled her name right) who was said that she plans a thru when she can't keep up with the ball any longer.

stupe
03-06-2005, 12:26
Some famous people who attempted, and some who succeeded:

Al Gore ( sobo, overshot Springer, got lost in Florida )
John Kerry ( nobo, ended up lost in Ohio. Went too far left )
George W. Bush (Dressed like a hiker and pretended to finish. His trail name:Mission Accomplished )
Bill Clinton ( completed entire hike with his pants around his ankles )

Footslogger
03-06-2005, 12:26
Wasn't there a guy that played pro basketball for a few years that thru-hiked?======================================
Yes, a hiker named "Serge" hiked in 2001. I know he played college ball for N Carolina but at the moment I forget which pro team ??. My wife and I met him at Blue Mountain Shelter during her thru. The dude stood 7' tall and carried the largest Dana Designs backpack I have ever seen in my life.

'Slogger

C-Stepper
03-06-2005, 12:29
There's a woman on the US soccer team (Abby Wambach, perhaps, and I don't even think I spelled her name right) who was said that she plans a thru when she can't keep up with the ball any longer.
You did spell her name right...she'll have a few years before this happens, since she's only 25, but here's her bio http://www.ussoccer.com/bio/bio.sps?iBiographyID=5911 . 'Way down at the bottom is "...if she didn't play soccer she would hike the Appalachian Trail". She was one of the featured athletes in the BACKPACKER rag summer Olympics issue last year.

I don't know if she'll ever qualify as famous to the non-women's soccer crowd, but I have met her and she's the genuine good person and a great example to my teen daughter.

Footslogger
03-06-2005, 12:30

George W. Bush (Dressed like a hiker and pretended to finish. His trail name:Mission Accomplished )
Bill Clinton ( completed entire hike with his pants around his ankles )====================================
This is hilarious ....all political leanings aside !!

'Slogger

Footslogger
03-06-2005, 12:32
7'2" Serge Zwicker (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=serge+zwicker&btnG=Google+Search)played for UNC (Carolina) and was drafted by the Houston Rockets. I don't know if he completed a thru.
http://hikinghq.net/forum/images/smilies2/viking.gif======================================== =
As I recall, his wife was VERY pregnant when he began. He came off the trail in Franklin to become a father. I saw him at Trail Days in 2001 and again in 2002 but never did ask him if he had a chance to finish his thru.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hikerjohnd
03-06-2005, 12:57

This is destined to become a classic - no matter what your political views are! :banana:banana:banana:banana

ed bell
03-06-2005, 13:47
Serge, at 7'2"? Wow I bet he had one hell of a stride, and no trouble with blowdowns. I wonder who made his sleeping bag and tent?:sun

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 13:49

As I remember, Bill had a hiking partner that wore a stained dress and a funny looking hat. I think she also had a phone relationship with a bear or a boar or something :confused:

weary
03-06-2005, 14:37
I understand a lot of people do. Maybe I should watch her show sometime.

Lugnut
03-06-2005, 15:25

I should have known some sensitive new age guy would come to he rescue! :datz ;)

Doctari
03-06-2005, 15:45
Actually, Hugh O Douglas was an Associate Justice, not Chief Justice. He was a 2000 miler, not a thru hiker. I believe he had finished all the trail before there was a such thing as a thru hiker.

tri :sun bes

OH!

Well, at least I was close, so the alzheimers hasn't got me yet. Not totally anyway.

I did think he had thru hiked, my bad.

Doctari.

colbys
03-06-2005, 16:05
yeah i guess the percentages say a celebirty would be far and remote to thru-hike the trail since .000001 percent of the general pop does it anyway.besides,everyone id rather be 3 months into a thru-hike with nothing but 2 packs of ramen and 3 power bars camped on a beautiful mountian with all my thru-hiking bros with me than super rich and being hounded by press and star magazine about who i dated and how much weight i have supposedly put on.

saimyoji
03-06-2005, 16:19
When you get to be that rich (famous people are always rich right :rolleyes:) maybe the AT isn't as appealing as some places in Africa, Europe, Asia or wherever. I guess there are some famous people whose properties encompass land even more like wilderness than the AT. With that kind of property, maybe they don't need to hike the AT.

Or maybe they've just got their heads up their H'wood liberal arses and don't know the trail exists! :eek:

[this last part intended as an inflamatory humorous ending, of course not all famous people are libs, nor do they come from H'wood, nor are all libs with head up arse ignorant of the trail, nor are all people ignorant of the trail libs with head up arse. POP!, whew, thought I'd never get my head free.]:jump

Mags
03-06-2005, 17:26
At the end of Calling Me Back To The Hills (Photos by Bart Smith, text by Earl Shaffer), there is a post-script type of essay by Linda Ellerbee. She apparently section hikes every year. In 1998, when she was section hiking in CT,she met an older, but very fit gentleman . After talking to this old man she put the facts together and realized it was Earl Shaffer. After many questions, she asked Earl "What has the worst part of your hike this time?" Earl answered : "Reporters and their questions". :)

Also Paddler (AT '99) told a story about being in Shenandoah eating some food at one of the restaurants along the AT. Richard Gere approached him and other hikers and asked about hiking the AT. Not quite the same, but interesting. I believe it was in his on-line journal.

Bjorkin
03-06-2005, 17:53
When you get to be that rich (famous people are always rich right :rolleyes:) maybe the AT isn't as appealing as some places in Africa, Europe, Asia or wherever.

Speaking of which, anybody catch Ewan McGregor's tv series titled, "Long Way 'Round?" He and a buddy drove their BMW touring bikes literally around the world. A cool journey in it's own right but still not as difficult as an AT thru IMO.

Dances with Mice
03-06-2005, 17:57
Lance Armstrong did a WEBO (westbound) thru at Bull Pen Gap, then an EBO thru at Woody. A yo-yo, kinda. Don't remember if he did Neels or not.

max patch
03-06-2005, 18:14
Al Gore invented thru-hiking. He told me so.

rickb
03-06-2005, 18:20
In fairness to Al, he did make it to the top of Ranier-- which is a bit more than most can claim!

TJ aka Teej
03-06-2005, 18:42
Actually, Hugh O Douglas was an Associate Justice, not Chief Justice. He was a 2000 miler, not a thru hiker.
William O. Douglas, author of My Wilderness: East to Katahdin, 'just' a section hiker not a 2000 miler, used to vacation at Katahdin Lake in his later years.

Odd thread title, should be "anybody famous to normal people" becuase lots of thrus are famous to us not-normals! :D

Smile
03-06-2005, 18:59
Celebrities are too busy keeping themselves in the limelight and maintining their 'in the news status'. Hiking the AT would take them not only out of their comfort zone, but away from the 'fix' that never quite satisifies their craving for attention.

Plus, too dirty......even those who like to do 'outdoors' sports, dude ranches or backcountry in Montana....usually are going 1st class....skiiing in Aspen, the old "cabin" ( 5600 sf log home) to get some R&R, etc.

Does anyone agree that the solace and introspection that the trail offers, and it's ability to open one's eye's as to what is actually "real" would completely throw these folks off a bit more than they are willing to bear?

If any of them do want/try/plan to go, it would probably not be attempted quiety, away from the eyes of the press - who would then feed on the fact that there must be some cracked-pot/drug-induced/broken-relationship/ psycho-turmoil going off the deep end reason why the individual would be doing it.......then all of the worker bees who hold the celebrity up in the first place would have to follow suit, walk into the woods in hopes of having a precious moment alone with them - so that they can 'save' their idol from sure demise out in the very dangerous wild backcountry that only smelly lazy crazies fear to tread. ;)

Blue Jay
03-06-2005, 19:23
At the end of Calling Me Back To The Hills (Photos by Bart Smith, text by Earl Shaffer), there is a post-script type of essay by Linda Ellerbee. She apparently section hikes every year.

She does major trail majic in Mass. every year. A true Angel.

squirrel bait
03-06-2005, 19:44
Yea for Linda Ellerbee. I miss her Sunday morning show and always look for any of her columns in the paper/mags. What trail magic it must be to talk to her. Sounds like she has recovered from her illness. Bless her heart.

saimyoji
03-06-2005, 19:50
Illness??:(

squirrel bait
03-06-2005, 20:00
I believe she had a bout with the big C. Now this has been a few years ago but I was under the impression that's why she stopped her show. My memory is getting worse and I believe now upon reflection that it was on TV on Saturday mornings. Very good show.

The Old Fhart
03-06-2005, 20:09
Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt has at least hiked on the A.T., but I don't know how much. I'm sure it was a hell of a lot more than James Watt. :D

A-Train
03-06-2005, 21:15
Howard Dean hiked the Long Trail

tribes
03-06-2005, 21:29
William O. Douglas, author of My Wilderness: East to Katahdin, 'just' a section hiker not a 2000 miler, used to vacation at Katahdin Lake in his later years.

Odd thread title, should be "anybody famous to normal people" becuase lots of thrus are famous to us not-normals! :D

My bad, I am thinking of Supreme Court Justice William O Douglas.

TRI :sun BES

tribes
03-06-2005, 21:32
According to the 2005 Companion (pg. 90), William O DOuglas was a 2000 miler.

weary
03-06-2005, 21:43
I believe Justice Douglas claimed to be a 2,000-miler. Kathy of that other AT site also thinks so.

"Another person who hiked the whole A.T. was Justice William O. Douglas, the same person largely responsible for saving the C & O Canal from being turned into a highway."

Weary

SGT Rock
03-06-2005, 21:50
Secretary of the Interior Bruce Babbitt has at least hiked on the A.T., but I don't know how much. I'm sure it was a hell of a lot more than James Watt. :D

Oh, come on. James Watt had a few hundred feet dug up and brought to his house so he could walk on it. :mad:

Mountain Dew
03-06-2005, 23:46
Ewan McGregor's bike ride was partially a farse. He claimed to have riden around the world with his longtime friend and that they were self reliant. Totally untrue. The camera crew that followed them also had several mechanics, parts for their bikes, and food. Where these crews couldn't follow them they simply arranged to meet them via , train, plane, etc.

Stupe, That was trully a classic post. Trully hilarious.

As far as I'm concerned nobody famous on a national level has ever thru-hiked nor is it likely that one ever will.

Richard Gere asked hikers about the A.T. ? I bet he was especially curious about the shelter mice as he is known for his pet gerbals. :banana

TJ aka Teej
03-07-2005, 00:13
I believe Justice Douglas claimed to be a 2,000-miler.
It seems to be one of those "everybody knows" things, Weary. Except that when this topic came up years ago on another list we couldn't find evidence that Justice Douglas ever made the claim himself. No matter how much he hiked, or what claims he did or did not make, he was a true champion of wilderness, trails, and wild places.

fiddlehead
03-07-2005, 00:34
Didn't you ever hear the quote: "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it!"

Wild Hare
03-07-2005, 01:04
....Does anyone agree that the solace and introspection that the trail offers, and it's ability to open one's eye's as to what is actually "real" would completely throw these folks off a bit more than they are willing to bear?...

daggum, how cynical!

no, I don't agree; it wouldn't throw them any further than it would the average American. Infact, given the creativity of their profession, I would venture to say they might handle it better because they could put themselves into the "role" of being a hiker.

It took dedication and perserverance towards a goal to get most of them where they are and those are two important traits of thru hikers.

ARambler
03-07-2005, 01:04
I'm resisting the temptation to verify my facts, and report: When Justice Douglas became famous he told a reporter the highlights of his AT section hike many years earlier. The ATC reported what place he would have been on the all time 2000 miler list, and it was pretty high, like 58.

This brings up 2 questions, 1) why is a section hike less impressive than a thru hike? 2) Does his accomplishment count if he did not get the patch?

Nightwalker
03-07-2005, 01:12

Pretty funny. I like an equal opportunity offender. :D

Nightwalker
03-07-2005, 01:17
At the end of Calling Me Back To The Hills (Photos by Bart Smith, text by Earl Shaffer), there is a post-script type of essay by Linda Ellerbee. She apparently section hikes every year...
I always thought Linda E. was one of the most upstanding and ethical reporters out there. She was (is?) truly a class act!

Bjorkin
03-07-2005, 02:08
Ewan McGregor's bike ride was partially a farse. He claimed to have riden around the world with his longtime friend and that they were self reliant. Totally untrue. The camera crew that followed them also had several mechanics, parts for their bikes, and food. Where these crews couldn't follow them they simply arranged to meet them via , train, plane, etc.

I wasn't suggesting this was the same deal as a thru or they went unassisted, just that when the rich/famous want adventure like us they can go much bigger and probably never even see the AT due to virtually unlimited resources as was earlier pointed out.

But why do you think it's a farce? It wasn't a competition or sanctioned event. There is no patch to earn. Just 2 guys riding bikes and shooting a show. They talked about and showed on the program all the backup crew and how they followed the bikes where they could and when roads got too rough for them they did indeed portage to the next accessible location. I didn't see it as deceitful at all.

colbys
03-07-2005, 05:17
seems like stirred up an intresting topic.yeah no celeb would dare go hike the at now that i think about it.richard gere in shenandoah? i wonder if he got a blueberry shake at big meadows.dam those were good!!

weary
03-07-2005, 10:45
It seems to be one of those "everybody knows" things, Weary. Except that when this topic came up years ago on another list we couldn't find evidence that Justice Douglas ever made the claim himself. No matter how much he hiked, or what claims he did or did not make, he was a true champion of wilderness, trails, and wild places.
Many thanks, Teej. You've forced me to reread all his books to find out what if anything, he said about completing all the trail. I'll let you know what I've found in about a month.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2005, 13:19
Most celebrities or famous people seem to lack both the time and the inclination to thru-hike.

In recent years, the best-known person to spend significant time on or near the Trail was most likely Eric Rudolph.

He didn't finish, tho.

Footslogger
03-07-2005, 13:23
In recent years, the best-known person to spend significant time on or near the Trail was most likely Eric Rudolph.
He didn't finish, tho.======================================
Yeah ...and as difficult as it was to find him he musta taken a lot of side trails. Maybe he followed all those signs leading to vistas.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Bjorkin
03-07-2005, 13:54
======================================
Yeah ...and as difficult as it was to find him he musta taken a lot of side trails. Maybe he followed all those signs leading to vistas.

'Slogger
AT 2003

...and Wendy's dumpsters.

Corvis
03-07-2005, 18:58
I don't know if you call him famous, but two of the Survivor contestants hiked the Appalachian Trail - Greg from Season 1 and Gabe from Season 4, I think it was.

Mountain Dew
03-08-2005, 03:02
Bjorkin, I have seen him interviewed two or three times and when asked about his motorcycle trip around the world he definetly either lead the interviewer to believe it was self sustained or he let the interviewer put a heroic slant on the truth.
-----------------
I've been re-reading Earl's book, "Calling me Back to the Hills" picture/poetry book on the A.T. and he says that the Douglas DID thru-hike.

QUOTE from page 101, "Despite common belief, the William B. Douglas shelter was not named in honor of the late Chielf Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, William O. Douglas, who was the 18th thru-hiker of the A.T. "

AMEN
------
NO survivor EVER thru-hiked either. That's simply not true.

rickb
03-08-2005, 07:57
The "Appalachian Trail Year Book" lists a William O. Douglas as a 1958 2,000 Miler. The 18th 2,000 Miler on the ATC list.

Seems to me I recollect routing for a Survivor who listed a thru on his bio, which was listed on the CBS page. Doesn't make it true, but I cant imagine anyone bending the truth about such a thing.

weary
03-08-2005, 08:53
The "Appalachian Trail Year Book" lists a William O. Douglas as a 1958 2,000 Miler. The 18th 2,000 Miler on the ATC list.
Seems to me I recollect routing for a Survivor who listed a thru on his bio, which was listed on the CBS page. Doesn't make it true, but I cant imagine anyone bending the truth about such a thing.
Come on guys. You don't need to come up with the information this fast. Now I have no excuse to re-read my several Douglas books.

Weary

BlackCloud
03-08-2005, 11:58
Easy there Lugnut. I like Oprah.BAAAAAAH!:p

Bearpaw
03-29-2005, 18:33
"There was that somewhat famous ballerina guy, Jacques Tootight or something like that, who pranced his way from Georgia to Maine raising money for a NYC ballet thingy."

Actually he was a SOBO in 1999. And he pretty much wrecked his health in doing it because he so extremely lean to begin with. So the trail ate MASSIVE amounts of his muscle mass.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2005, 19:13
There is also considerable doubt that he hiked the entire trail, tho he was widely quoted after his hike stating that he had done so.

weary
03-29-2005, 19:45
There is also considerable doubt that he hiked the entire trail, tho he was widely quoted after his hike stating that he had done so.
Yeah. But he hiked his own hike. And for that matter was a kind of cool guy. A lot of people claim thru hiker status, who haven't really. Some of us just get tired of saying, "well, I started in Georgia. Ended on Katahdin. Spent 6 months and 3 days. But I wasn't a purist." Especially, when we see the eyes of the questioner glaze over.

Most people could care less. I told one long time hiking buddy about some guy who "only did 900 miles."

His reply. "That sounds like a lot to me!"

Weary

Pencil Pusher
03-30-2005, 02:39
In fairness to Al, he did make it to the top of Ranier-- which is a bit more than most can claim!
It's Rainier because it's rainier here.

Maybe the more affluent have better things to do with their time?

Teatime
03-30-2005, 07:23
Say, maybe Whiteblaze could approach Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie and get them to do a reality show about hiking the AT! Of course, Paris could bring Tinkerbell along as well.
Now, seriously, can anyone imagine running into these two at a shelter? :eek: On the other hand, some of you young guys might be into that.:banana

middle to middle
10-02-2005, 19:10
I live just north of Annapolis Md. There have been several high ranking Navy people that have hiked the trail and got their pictures in the local paper.
Not exactly famous famous i guess.

tom

Just Jeff
10-02-2005, 19:26
I'm gonna thru in about 14 years, and I plan to be famous by then. Keep your eyes open.

mweinstone
01-25-2006, 00:03
jesus walks the AT in both directions each spring .

Almost There
01-25-2006, 00:24
Could you imagine a real celebrity hiking, just look for the guy with the pack train of sherpas lugging his/her gear. At night you just have to look for the 8 man pavilion tent with the generator. Hey maybe they would have their personal chef cook for us at the shelter. BTW speaking of Backpacker magazine anyone see the positive write-up they had given Cameron Diaz's show as an environmental champion. That girl is as dumb as a box of rocks!!!

wyclif
01-25-2006, 00:38
as to my knowledge,there has never been any celebrity or psuedo-celebrity to attempt a thru-hike.

A-List or B-List celebrities on the AT? Imagine the consequences of that from their point of view: even if you went incognito, if word got out you could be in serious trouble...people following you, looking for you, possibly pushing scripts on your or asking ridiculous favours, asking for autographs.

Being a successful celebrity depends on self-aggrandization and promotion, and I have a feeling that unless a thru-hike helped accomplish those goals (not!) the thought would never enter their (or their agent's) heads.

Celebrity is a relative term, though. Earl Shaffer is a celebrity, just a niche celebrity.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 09:06
If the gossip about Paul Newman and Robert Redford doing a movie about Bryson's book comes to be, then watch out. It will have an impact on the trail greater than the movie Deliverance had on the Chattooga River, 35 years ago. I've even heard references to the movie Deliverance hear on WB. The gear stores will love it.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2006, 09:39
jesus walks the AT in both directions each spring .
I'm gonna hang with him till I get to the Kennebec. Not only will we walk across the top of the river, I'll have him turn it into a good Merlot and we"ll hang in the middle and toss back a few litres.

sliderule
01-25-2006, 10:57
I heard that Al Gore attempted a thru hike. Right after he invented the Appalachian Trail.

colbys
01-25-2006, 11:27
i agree with ridge's comments.once that movie comes out(if),then the at is going to be like the the beltway in d.c. as far as traffic is concered.1 hour wait to cross woody gap?

Ridge
01-25-2006, 11:43
I heard that Al Gore attempted a thru hike. Right after he invented the Appalachian Trail.

This was years after he (gore) invented hiking!

K-Man
01-25-2006, 12:11
anyone see the positive write-up they had given Cameron Diaz's show as an environmental champion. That girl is as dumb as a box of rocks!!!

I am not vouching for Diaz's IQ, but at least a celebrity is trying to bring environmental awareness to mainstream America via MTV, which is the epitome of American Pop culture. It seems that a celeb is what's needed teach these pop culture entranced younguns to be environmentally friendly. I am all for it.

Almost There
01-25-2006, 13:11
K-Man, sort of, but you have to really know what's going on. My wife and I watched a few of the shows and we both felt like people said, "Cameron, here's the deal, we're gonna fly you around the world and put you in places where you can talk about this and that, but don't worry we'll have the trendiest clothes for you, oh and you can bring your trendy friends as well." They reminded me of the trendy group from the city out for an overnight hike that take over the shelter in Bryson's book. Hard to take serious, but then again most of us on here have taken off the blinders that even hollywood promotes!!!

Ridge
01-25-2006, 13:32
I am not vouching for Diaz's IQ, but at least a celebrity is trying to bring environmental awareness to mainstream America via MTV, which is the epitome of American Pop culture. It seems that a celeb is what's needed teach these pop culture entranced younguns to be environmentally friendly. I am all for it.

This is sort of like Paris Hilton on this "get out and vote" jag she was on, all over the news, vhi, mtv, wearing tee shirts with VOTE .... Then she didn't even vote herself, maybe she got a few to vote and I guess it at least got kids introduced to the long lines at the polls. Publicity stunt, no doubt, might have helped a little.

Mags
01-25-2006, 14:01
Being a successful celebrity depends on self-aggrandization and promotion, and I have a feeling that unless a thru-hike helped accomplish those goals (not!) the thought would never enter their (or their agent's) heads.

I think you are correct for the post part. But, I suspect there are a few celebs out there who would do such a thing "under the radar".

I can picture Harrison Ford hiking the AT incognito. He does search and rescue on a volunteer basis near his home at Jackson Hole. There was a story about some boyscouts who were rescued by him. They were a bit surprised! He also rescued a woman once, too. IIRC the local joke was "great..now many woman are going to get hurt on purpose hoping that Harrison Ford rescues them!". :)

Anthony Edwards (Dr. Green of "ER" fame) has done the Chicago Marathon under an assumed name a few times. Not quite the same, but still "under the radar".

Then again, the AT is probably a bit too crowded for celebs who really want to keep a low profile. Hard to be incognito for 6 months when people recongnize your mug!

nyushka42
01-25-2006, 15:36
Thing about celeb faces though... when you don't have your makeup artists and stylists readily available, people might not automatically recognize you, especially women.
I know when I WEAR makeup and put on nice clothing and actually do anything with my hair other than braid it, people sometimes don't recognize me right away. The oposite is also true, especially after a few weeks on the trail, when your dirty, smelly, and you can barely recognize yourself.
For guy celebs, I guess a few weeks of beard growth and dirt can also sufficiently disguise them. If their approched by anyone who says "you look like [insert name]" they could always say "yeah, I get that a lot."
Living near DC, I've encountered a couple of celebs, political, and also local news people. Some of them, once they have their makeup removed and their not putting on an act, you can barely recognize them.

rickb
01-25-2006, 16:24
Its also a numbers thing.

Only about 1 out of 30,000 Americans have thu hiked the AT.

Only about 1 out of 6,000 Americans have attempted it.

If the chances of a celebrity hiking were the same as everyone else, how many would you expect to be out there?

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2006, 17:04
Check you math, Rick, your figures are a bit off.

Assuming the ATC's figures are correct and that 8,000 folks have hiked the whole Trail, a "One in 30,000" figure is based on an American population of 240,000,000.

*The population of the United States is closer to 295 million, not 240.
*The "8,000" figure is certainly vastly inflated, as a great many of these
folks have not, in fact, hiked the entire Trail. The "8,000" figure is merely
the ATC's accounting of those who have CLAIMED to have done so, and
anyone who has thru-hiked in recent years is aware (if they're honest)
that a very high percentage of these claimants have not, in fact, hiked the
Trail in its entirety. In fact, the majority of claimants in recent years ack-
nowledge that they didn't do so.

I don't know the percentage or the math, but the "1 in 30,000" statistic
that you site is certainly incorrect.

Heater
01-25-2006, 17:10
BTW speaking of Backpacker magazine anyone see the positive write-up they had given Cameron Diaz's show as an environmental champion. That girl is as dumb as a box of rocks!!!

They put a white blaze on one of her back molers.
The AT now passes through Cameron Diaz's mouth.

Thaey are currently in negotiations with Julia Roberts and they are talking about installing an outfitters in Rene Zelleweger's cheeks.

:D

wyclif
01-25-2006, 17:28
I've heard talk of an upcoming Robert Redford/Paul Newman film based on Bill Bryson's AT story A Walk in the Woods here a few times. Supposedly, it will be their swan song (Newman is retiring):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1592961,00.html
http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/08_05/08_03_05/out_lights_trail.html

Perhaps Jack Tarlin knows or has heard something about this since he lives in the same town Bryson calls home (Hanover, NH).

rickb
01-25-2006, 17:50
I don't know the percentage or the math, but the "1 in 30,000" statistic that you site is certainly incorrect.

If you are talking about thru hikers who met the most rigourous interpretation of the ATC's 2000 Miler Award I would agree.

In fact, by your definition fewer of us meet that criteria the than have climbed Mount Everest.

But how about just AT thru hikers?

10,000 seems a reasonable number, since many who have hiked the trail don't bother to tell the ATC. I know Weary didn't and he was most cetrainly a thru hiker-- even if not a 2,000 Miler.

The larger point is that the percentage of thru hikers in the American population is very small. As such, it should come as no suprise that a relatively small group (like celebrities) have few or none among them.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2006, 18:04
Rick, I couldn't agree with you more that the percentages are small.

I'm merely saying that they're evn smaller than you think.

And, no, I don't think your 10,000 figure is accurate or reasonable. To assume that one of five people that has hiked the entire Trail hasn't reported it to the ATC is a pretty long stretch.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 18:11
I am very skeptical about the figures of actual THRU hikers. If you took all the folks who have completed the 2100+ miles whether it took 2 months or 8 decades to finish then the figures might hit 9000 or so, maybe. Its almost like trying to figure out where all the governments money is going, they barely have a clue and john q. public has no clue.

Navigator
01-25-2006, 18:38
I think the real question is the definition of "famous" . In todays society people have the tendency to relate fame with sports figures and actors/actresses. because they are publicly displayed in the media. The famous Indiana Jones, Laura Croft, Shaq are they really famous or able to portray what they are not on a movie set or hit a 3 pt shot.
The famous people I know are those that have done what others would not attempt to do and push the human body to the extreme in order to accomplish what has not been accomplished by others.

Thoughts and ramblings....

Footslogger
01-25-2006, 18:41
[quote=Navigator]I think the real question is the definition of "famous" .
====================================
Excellent point. Are we talking about "well known" or "recognizable" faces/names ?? What makes you famous ??

'Slogger

Mags
01-25-2006, 19:07
I The famous Indiana Jones, .

Hey..at least the actor who plays Indy does some S&R in Wyoming. Not with a bull whip and no Nazis involved..but pretty cool in my book!

On a related note, Clint Eastwood did how own climbs in the movie "The Eiger Sanction". Kinda cool, too.

To mean, being famous means they are known by a large percentage of the population. That means , yes indeed, actors and sports people...but also politcians, writers, etc.

The people you describe: "Have done what others would not attempt to do and push the human body to the extreme in order to accomplish what has not been accomplished by others." may be known in their communties (e.g David Horton) but are not famous.

rickb
01-25-2006, 19:16
Hey..at least the actor who plays Indy does some S&R in Wyoming. Not with a bull whip and no Nazis involved..but pretty cool in my book!

The last "Men's Journal" (suprisingly good magazine) had a piece where Tom Brokaw interviewed Harrison Ford-- largely about thier outdoor adventures and flying. I thinking the SAR was from his hellicopter. Worth picking up and reading at the newstand....

Ridge
01-25-2006, 19:20
No doubt Robert Redford and Paul Newman, the hole in the wall gang, would be a famous lot to grace the trail. I just hate to see the following stampede.

dizzyT
01-25-2006, 19:32
Just thank god Bryson's book isn't part of Pprah's book club.

you think at their age the line "think you used enough viagra there Butch" has ever been said?

Heater
01-25-2006, 19:33
No doubt Robert Redford and Paul Newman, the hole in the wall gang, would be a famous lot to grace the trail. I just hate to see the following stampede.

The stampede will be contained at the trailheads because I can guarantee you that Butch Cassidy or Sundance aint' takin' a dump in the woods.

(could you imagine what the Enquirer would pay for THAT photo?) :jump

lobster
01-25-2006, 21:12
Stampede? Maybe a small rise in AT hiking, but nothing to worry about.

Ridge
01-25-2006, 21:18
Stampede? Maybe a small rise in AT hiking, but nothing to worry about.

Yea, thats what they said after the movie Deliverance was done on the Chattooga, I believe 30 drownings were blamed on the influx of boaters. Not counting the stunt-man who drowned during the firming.

cup
01-25-2006, 21:24
Somebody told me Donald Sutherland (spelling) did it

anybody know the truth.

colbys
01-26-2006, 22:36
hey cup i met you just 1 mile from woody gap last march,on preachers rock.did you finish your thru-hike?