PDA

View Full Version : instant coffee?

mountainman
11-26-2011, 20:31
Is there an instant coffee that taste like real coffee?

leaftye
11-26-2011, 20:39
I haven't tried it because I don't pack a stove and would be happy with low quality instant coffee anyway, but other backpackers give Starbucks Instant Via high marks.

johnnybgood
11-26-2011, 20:47
I have tried Starbucks and Folgers Singles , both are fine by me . Folgers prolly gets the nod if im picking just one.

traildust
11-26-2011, 21:03
Companion Dovetail swears by Starbucks. Great for short hike but pricey for the grand adventure.

Summit
11-26-2011, 21:30
Since you're asking this question, you obviously aren't serious about a really good cup of coffee. If you are, there are several French Press options that allow you to brew real gourmet coffee. I love my Jetboil French Press add-on. As the commercial jingle goes . . . "the best part of waking up is gourmet coffee in your Jetboil!" OK, I improvised a little! But if you're set on sticking with instant, I have also heard that Starbucks is decent.

Sailing_Faith
11-26-2011, 21:43
In my receint couple weeks hike in the SNP I brought Folgers singles and Starbucks....

The Starbucks were vastly superior to the Folgers, but one night I shared the shelter with a guy named Mark.

He snored so bad that even after my nightly ration of cognac AND ambien... I still got very little sleep.

I woke to his stirring the next am... he was not on my list of favorite people.....

Then he pulled not only a jetboil from his pack, BUT a coffee grinder! He brought out beans from starbucks!

I watched as he ground and placed the coffee into his jetboil french press....

In an instant he went from 'the snoring oaf who kept me up all night' to 'the best guy ever' when he uttered the sentence;

"Hey man, I have plenty of coffee here, would you care for a cup?"

Do not underestimate the value of a good cup.

budforester
11-26-2011, 21:46
Lots of WB discussion on this topic, if you wish to do a search.
I've been happy with "Taster's Choice 100% Colombian"; just today bought a new box of the single- serving tubes. I find it drinkable and very convenient.

Papa D
11-26-2011, 21:59
Starbucks Via has pretty much become the thing and I usually carry a few but, I'm not so into this "corporate coffee" chain and don't choose Starbucks regularly -- I did buy a few jars of this and it really is very very good -- I drink it black,but it has an almost natural "creamy" character -- if you want to get fancy with a little powdered milk, I'm sure that would be good too: here is the link:

www.kitchenkapers.com/medaglia-doro-instant-espresso.html?src=gprod

Summit
11-26-2011, 22:00
In my receint couple weeks hike in the SNP I brought Folgers singles and Starbucks....

The Starbucks were vastly superior to the Folgers, but one night I shared the shelter with a guy named Mark.

He snored so bad that even after my nightly ration of cognac AND ambien... I still got very little sleep.

I woke to his stirring the next am... he was not on my list of favorite people.....

Then he pulled not only a jetboil from his pack, BUT a coffee grinder! He brought out beans from starbucks!

In an instant he went from 'the snoring oaf who kept me up all night' to 'the best guy ever' when he uttered the sentence;

Do not underestimate the value of a good cup.:) :) :)

Slo-go'en
11-26-2011, 23:02
I'm glad I don't drink coffee so I don't have "coffee issues" to contend with. I was however addicted to coca-cola, that was a tough habit to break...

Summit
11-26-2011, 23:24
I'm glad I don't drink coffee so I don't have "coffee issues" to contend with. I was however addicted to coca-cola, that was a tough habit to break...It's not an "issue" that you have to "contend with" if you love it and know how to make it happen! :)

Wise Old Owl
11-26-2011, 23:26

Best trail story ever.... were you dreaming?

Old Hiker
11-27-2011, 00:10
Starbucks Via is good, but expensive. I get a small plastic jar and fill it with hot chocolate mix and Folgers instant: 1 pack chocolate to 1 heaping teaspoon of coffee. I like cafe mocha and this keeps it simple, plus, I don't have a bunch of trash to hike out. I can adjust the strength as needed.

I've also seen the hot chocolate mix with caffeine added, but that seems a bit much to add to instant coffee.

CandiceFox
11-27-2011, 00:16
It may seem a little off the wall but there is an instant coffee named G7. It can be found at oriental markets or possibly the international section at large grocery stores. I drink it at home it is that good. It is a 3-in-1 with cream and a little sugar already in it.

Nitrojoe
11-27-2011, 00:25
The best I ever tasted and still use on my thru hikes is JavaJuice. It a consentrated liquid coffee in a sealed packet and makes one 6oz cup of coffee. Go on line and Google JavaJuice.

wannahike
11-27-2011, 00:37
Instant Bustello mixed with hot chocolate packet

leaftye
11-27-2011, 00:41
I'm glad I don't drink coffee so I don't have "coffee issues" to contend with. I was however addicted to coca-cola, that was a tough habit to break...

I don't drink coffee often, and not at all on the trail, but I might start using it during winter hikes to move my bowel movement from early morning to a warmer part of the day.

Sarcasm the elf
11-27-2011, 00:42

Probably not, Starbucks Via is the closest, but the packets are extremely strong, tastes good when brewed with twice the water recommended. My advise is either lower your standards and accept the instant stuff for what it is, or insist on real coffee and give the French press a try.

hobby
11-27-2011, 01:04

dehydrated Diet Coke---if only I could market this!

BreakWind
11-27-2011, 01:15
I have tried many ways of making coffee on the trail. Starbucks VIA gets my vote. But don't buy it at Starbucks. It has become more widely available. Shop around. Costco carries it for one.

Wise Old Owl
11-27-2011, 03:40
dehydrated Diet Coke---if only I could market this!

Water - platy bag - caffeine pill from the pharmacy then add simple surup or a "to go" flavor... the Co2 would be a long straw connected to a new Co2 bike tire inflator - punch the cartridge and push the gas to the bottom of the platy - Soda. None of this weighs much except the co cartridge.....

Remember the black and whites of the thirtys - they kept having soda fights with the bar keeps soda makers in the middle of the speak easy? same thing.

I find it funny that you asked and - I can guess it would have a good result.

mmorgan
11-27-2011, 08:35
One more vote for Starbucks VIA. Tastes great, easy to make and easy to carry. I start every morning with a cup of coffee, both on and off the trail. Nothing is better than a hot cup of coffee when you climb out of your bag in the morning.

o hiker guy
11-27-2011, 09:15
Starbucks is what i use but it is a little strong for me so i just use half a tube at a time and it is fine

tiptoe
11-27-2011, 14:17
I take a little Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso powder on my hikes, just in case I get a caffeine withdrawal headache. I usually prefer to drink green tea on the trail.

hikerboy57
11-27-2011, 14:21
i brought a 2 cup coffee press with me on a section hike, but found it hard to clean, so i switched to starbucks via. I get LqandoLakes single sevrving hot chocolates in different flavors(hazelnut, mint chocolate, butterscotch, just to name a few) instead of using creamer, which has never appealed to me.

daddytwosticks
11-27-2011, 16:16
I love Java Juice with about 10 oz of hot water. Starbucks via is second followed by Taster's Choice instant. :)

leaftye
11-27-2011, 17:10
As far as a coffee press goes, has anyone here used tea bags for their coffee grounds? I think it would be very much like a coffee press, but very light and compact.

Mike2012
11-27-2011, 17:26
I take a little Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso powder on my hikes, just in case I get a caffeine withdrawal headache. I usually prefer to drink green tea on the trail.

I like that instant too but some hot cocoa mixed in doesn't hurt. I'll definitely be packing some tea as well.

Summit
11-27-2011, 17:27
As far as a coffee press goes, has anyone here used tea bags for their coffee grounds? I think it would be very much like a coffee press, but very light and compact.Yes, I tried tea bag-like coffee. Better than instant but not as good as a good brand of coffee in a French press.

Summit
11-27-2011, 17:32
And my Jetboil screen and stem that turn it into a coffee press probably don't weigh any more than 6 bags of coffee. And when done, one has the wet coffee bag weight added to their garbage. I actually reduce weight by consuming that day's coffee and tossing the grounds in the bushes. I suppose one could cut open the used bag and try to get all the grounds out . . . messy!

Lando11
11-27-2011, 17:44
yet another vote for starbucks vias. i wouldn't call it good, but it was fine by me. also, you can re-hydrate them with cold water which was great for folks like me who find stoves inconvenient. come in several flavors too. my favorite was the iced coffee that is sweetened. mix that with 2 carnations instant breakfasts, some dehydrated milk, add water and that was my breakfast of choice on the trail.

LDog
11-27-2011, 21:02
I spent some quality time learning to make cowboy coffee. Despite it's bad reputation, one can make a most excellent cup of coffee this way. The trick is to never boil the grounds. Boil water, take the pot off the stove, add grounds, stir, put pot lid on, and place in cozy/wool hat/ or wrap in a fleece to keep hot for 4-5 mins. Open the lid, stir to get the last floating grounds to sink, pour and enjoy. All the flavor of a french press without the added weight of a press.

But then, I'd have to pack the wet grounds out. I might do this on a short trip, But I ain't carrying an increasing load of wet grounds over a long hike.

My choice for longer treks is instant. Starbucks via is good, but there's the extra packaging to deal with. Nescafe Taster's Choice is pretty good tasting coffee, and a baggie full of it would be my choice for a longer hike. I might just have to try the Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso tho ...

sheepdog
11-27-2011, 21:24
Instant coffee is just nasty.

It had to be said.

Summit
11-27-2011, 21:33
But then, I'd have to pack the wet grounds out.Why? They're completely organic. First rain will wash them into the soil. Great fertilizer!

Summit
11-27-2011, 21:34
Instant coffee is just nasty.

It had to be said.Great minds think alike! :)

sheepdog
11-27-2011, 21:35
zacktly.......

LDog
11-27-2011, 21:40
Why? They're completely organic. First rain will wash them into the soil. Great fertilizer!

My choice to limit my impact. Coffee grounds may be organic, but they're not indigenous.

Summit
11-27-2011, 21:45
My choice to limit my impact. Coffee grounds may be organic, but they're not indigenous.Neither is your poop! Don't tell me . . . you pack that out too? :) Seriously, that's your choice and I respect that. But I've gotten emails from some of the plants I've thrown my grounds on thanking me for the growth and energy boost! :D

sheepdog
11-27-2011, 21:52
coffee grounds make great compost.

Cameldung
11-28-2011, 13:50
I am no fan of instant coffee. The best one I have found is Community Coffee. It is a brand from Louisiana. My favorite is the Coffee with Chicory.

4Bears
11-28-2011, 14:03
IMHO, there is no such thing as an instant coffee that tastes real. That being said the french press mentioned eaarlier, or use a filter with a couple skewers resting on your cup and pour your water over the coffee and let it steep for a few minutes. I do like my coffee but out on hikes and camping I find tea easier to deal with and lighter. I make some to drink right away and if it is a cold night I make a full Nalgene bottle and sleep with it, then in the morning drink half and cary the rest for lunch, just add some cold water to dilute the now very strong tea.

JAK
11-28-2011, 14:18
The best instant coffee is when other people offer me a cup of freshly brewed coffee. :D

So perhaps the thing to do is to get as best you can at doing the same for others, or some alternative like tea, or masala chai, or some natural tea from some trees or plants found along the trail.

Buffalo Skipper
11-28-2011, 14:43
I tried Via a year ago. It was tons better than instant, but not perfect. I found that I like the "Columbian" variety, but it seems to be one of the few which only comes in the 8 oz packaging. Two weekends ago, I tried the Via "mocha" flavor. I mixed it with a package of hot chocholate and a spoonful of powdered milk. Very yummy on cool mornings on the trail. This combo may be my new breakfast drink.

JAK
11-28-2011, 16:44
I just read some place,wikipedia maybe, that when making masala chai, aka chai, aka chai tea, aka chai tea latte, aka spiced tea with milk, it is favourable to use a different mix of spices for cold climates vs warm climates. More cloves comes to mind, for colder climates like Northern India. Makes sense.

I'm working on mixing in a little Northern White Cedar, Arbor Vitae, for our climate. :-)

leaftye
11-28-2011, 17:43
Yes, I tried tea bag-like coffee. Better than instant but not as good as a good brand of coffee in a French press.

Why would it be different than making coffee in a French press? If it matters, I'm referring to putting your own grounds into tea bags on your own, so you get just as much grounds of your own choosing that are just as fresh as what you'd put into a French press.

Summit
11-28-2011, 18:40
Why would it be different than making coffee in a French press? If it matters, I'm referring to putting your own grounds into tea bags on your own, so you get just as much grounds of your own choosing that are just as fresh as what you'd put into a French press.Why would you go to so much trouble to avoid a very light and simple coffee press solution?

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/coffee-press.html

It weighs .8 oz! Cleans very easy. Spin the screen on the stem under a trickle and it's clean. Swish a cup of water around fast and toss (twice) and the Jetboil mug is clean. I don't even get my hands wet cleaning it (cold weather)! I package my coffee, creamer, and Splenda into a ziploc sandwich bag so when my water comes to a boil I dump the contents in, stir and cap with the French press attached. If I want a variety, I label the ziploc bag as to what the coffee is.

I guess if you'd rather avoid this effortless method in favor of packaging tea bags, and dealing with the used ones, go for it!

quilteresq
11-28-2011, 18:51
I don't drink coffee often, and not at all on the trail, but I might start using it during winter hikes to move my bowel movement from early morning to a warmer part of the day.

Seriously, TMI!

Kookork
11-28-2011, 19:27
I spent some quality time learning to make cowboy coffee. Despite it's bad reputation, one can make a most excellent cup of coffee this way. The trick is to never boil the grounds. Boil water, take the pot off the stove, add grounds, stir, put pot lid on, and place in cozy/wool hat/ or wrap in a fleece to keep hot for 4-5 mins. Open the lid, stir to get the last floating grounds to sink, pour and enjoy. All the flavor of a french press without the added weight of a press.

But then, I'd have to pack the wet grounds out. I might do this on a short trip, But I ain't carrying an increasing load of wet grounds over a long hike.

My choice for longer treks is instant. Starbucks via is good, but there's the extra packaging to deal with. Nescafe Taster's Choice is pretty good tasting coffee, and a baggie full of it would be my choice for a longer hike. I might just have to try the Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso tho ...

+1. I love the taste and richness of Taster's Choice. Just I prefer to drink decaf and since I am not a regular cofee drinker it works for me.

virgil
11-28-2011, 19:35
In my opinion the distinction is a very fine point. It's an ongoing question. I'm a regular coffee drinker. At home, I brew it in a drip coffee maker. On the trail lately I've been using Starbucks Via instant, I drink it black with one sugar packet. The Starbucks Via is fairly good, Folgers (or generic) coffee bags are fine, but you're left with the spent bags, not a huge deal. Maxwell House (or generic) instant is pretty good. You should try a few different ones. I kinda lump them all together. If it's hot and tastes like coffee, it's good by me. On the trail, I'm mostly payin' for the atmosphere.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2011, 19:45
Just from the thread count - Starbucks instant "to go" with BACON flavor!

hikerboy57
11-28-2011, 19:46
Just from the thread count - Starbucks instant "to go" with BACON flavor!mmmmmm bacon coffee....

Summit
11-28-2011, 19:57
mmmmmm bacon coffee....Might as well add a packet of Ketchup! :rolleyes:

Toolshed
11-28-2011, 21:29
I still carry fresh coffee and my MSR Mugmate or my good ol' coughlins filters on short trips, but now carry TC tubes on longer trips. the 100% columbian is good, but I now mix a tube of Hazelnut with a tube of French roast for a 12 oz mug. PERFECTION!!! In fact, I'm getting chills looking at the box and thinking about it...:D

Sarcasm the elf
11-28-2011, 21:42
Just from the thread count - Starbucks instant "to go" with BACON flavor!Where do I sign up?

Switchback2012
11-28-2011, 22:13
I use Starbucks Via - they also make it flavored - Vanilla, Cinnamon and Mocha if you like them that way. We've also done cowboy coffee and it works just fine too.

leaftye
11-29-2011, 01:58
Why would you go to so much trouble to avoid a very light and simple coffee press solution?

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/coffee-press.html

It weighs .8 oz! Cleans very easy. Spin the screen on the stem under a trickle and it's clean. Swish a cup of water around fast and toss (twice) and the Jetboil mug is clean. I don't even get my hands wet cleaning it (cold weather)! I package my coffee, creamer, and Splenda into a ziploc sandwich bag so when my water comes to a boil I dump the contents in, stir and cap with the French press attached. If I want a variety, I label the ziploc bag as to what the coffee is.

I guess if you'd rather avoid this effortless method in favor of packaging tea bags, and dealing with the used ones, go for it!

Are you saying that it should taste the same? That was what I was asking after all. As for the Jetboil, why do you assume I have one? If you're offering to hike with me while you're carrying the Jetboil I can use to make coffee, then yes, I will happily carry the french press you mentioned.

Summit
11-29-2011, 08:05
Are you saying that it should taste the same? That was what I was asking after all. As for the Jetboil, why do you assume I have one? If you're offering to hike with me while you're carrying the Jetboil I can use to make coffee, then yes, I will happily carry the french press you mentioned.As to "taste the same," I can't answer that and I'm not gonna pack tea bags to find out. Generally speaking however, the French press method (apart from backpacking) is a highly acclaimed method of making coffee. There are other French press solutions for backpacking that do not involve a Jetboil.

Tinker
11-29-2011, 08:53
I carry ground coffee and this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF44DI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/180-9065255-7053317?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0BRN5XV471CBDPT9TDQS&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B000DLB2FI

I boil water in my 1.3 liter pot, put the basket into my cup (actually a small Snow Peak pot with handles), add some grounds (amount varies depending on what strength I want), and pour water over the grounds. I lift the basket several times to wash the water over the grounds and then take it out and add cream (powdered creamer or the individual restaurant servings) and sugar. For several people I can fill my large pot to just below the rim of the coffee basket, add grounds to the basket, and allow it to sink into the pot to steep.
This basket cannot be immersed in boiling water over a flame. I found out the hard way. The basket weighs 1/2 oz.

Summit
11-29-2011, 09:50
Looks like the basket in my Cuisinart home coffeemaker!

This discussion, like many on WB on a variety of subjects, produces a wide range of preferences and solutions due to differing priorities and types of hiking. For instance, I might rethink packing up a bunch of baggies with my coffee, creamer, and Splenda if I'm on a thru-hike, whereas it's quite a treat on a section hike. I might even go with an alcohol stove and not take a Jetboil (likely) if I were to do a thru. WB seems to have posters who only think in the thru-hike (UL) mindset about everything, and at the other end of the spectrum, people who are section hikers only and are more about comfort and convenience, approaching everything from that mindset. I know I'm guilty of the later most of the time. That's why we get (and always will, apparently) people screaming at a poster, "what are you thinking, taking product-X on your hike?" Well, they probably aren't carrying it 2100 miles and wouldn't if they were going that far. Sometimes the OP will identify "I'm preparing to do a thru-hike and have a question about X," then the answers should tailor to the best advice for a thru-hiker, but all too often that's not the case. The OP is either vague or says they're doing a section and the thru-hike and section hike solutions butt heads!

I feel better now that I got that off my chest! :)

Buffalo Skipper
11-29-2011, 10:26
mmmmmm bacon coffee....

Might as well add a packet of Ketchup! :rolleyes:

Or some Tobasco. That seems to be the other standard for hikers. :eek:

Seriously though, I really enjoy my coffee. I am no connoisseur, and I really don't like the flavored coffees. I just like a flavorful blend. Last year, a friend introduced me to a French press, and after trying hers, I thought it was a good way to go. So I picked up a Snow Peak titanium French press (http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/coffee/titanium-french-press-cs-111.html). I tried it out a few times before taking it backpacking. Unfortunately, I found that, though it made great coffee, it was narrow and difficult to clean. I have yet to put it in my pack. Shortly after that, I started to really work to lighten my load. I doubt I will ever take it, except maybe car camping, where I have access to good running water for cleaning.

I take Via on my backpack treks now.

Summit
11-29-2011, 11:15
it was narrow and difficult to clean.The press part should be able to just be twirled around under a trickle of water. The cup should come clean from swirling around water 1/3 full twice, and pitching it. At least that works for my Jetboil. If it's a little bit of stain on the sides, I sometimes clean that off and sometimes don't. Not a big concern for me.

Sailing_Faith
11-29-2011, 13:20

Best trail story ever.... were you dreaming?

Sure felt like it that morning! :)

LDog
11-29-2011, 13:20
Or some Tobasco. That seems to be the other standard for hikers. :eek:

Seriously though, I really enjoy my coffee. I am no connoisseur, and I really don't like the flavored coffees. I just like a flavorful blend. Last year, a friend introduced me to a French press, and after trying hers, I thought it was a good way to go. So I picked up a Snow Peak titanium French press (http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/coffee/titanium-french-press-cs-111.html). I tried it out a few times before taking it backpacking. Unfortunately, I found that, though it made great coffee, it was narrow and difficult to clean. I have yet to put it in my pack. Shortly after that, I started to really work to lighten my load. I doubt I will ever take it, except maybe car camping, where I have access to good running water for cleaning.

I take Via on my backpack treks now.

That story sounds familiar! When Mary and I were planning to sail our old sloop from the Chesapeake to Michigan, we wanted to find a better solution to the old percolator 9ugh0 we had. We had a two-burner propane stove onboard, 120v service in port and 12v at sea and at anchorage. We weren't going to compromise battery power by trying to run a 120v coffee maker off an inverter when not into shore power, so we decided to try the french press. We got a sweet Zassenhaus brass, hand-cranked mill. That combo worked great for our whole trip, and we've never gone back to using a drip coffee maker.

I too picked up a backpacking press. I was thinking I could use the pot for all my cooking. But as you found, it's too skinny and unstable, so it never saw the inside of my pack. I found a cheaper alternative to MSR's in-cup coffee/tea filter at Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Finum-63-421-50-00-Brewing-Basket/dp/B000I68NCS/, used it a bit and found it worked well by pouring the hot water thru it slowly.

Now, I do love my coffee, but as I got deeper and deeper into reducing my pack weight, I found I couldn't justify carrying something extra for coffee ... At this point, eliminating all the fuss, extra packaging and dealing with spent grounds by carrying Taster's Choice in a baggie seems the ideal solution to me ...

mfshop
12-05-2011, 13:33
If you don't drink your coffee black, they sell single serve 3in1 instant coffee with sugar & cream. Not very tasty, but a convenient way to get your caffeine fix. If you find them on sale at your local asian market, they can be pretty affordable too...

Ewker
12-05-2011, 14:06
I use Starbucks Via - they also make it flavored - Vanilla, Cinnamon and Mocha if you like them that way. We've also done cowboy coffee and it works just fine too.

just wait until you try the Christmas blend or the Christmas Blend Expresso coffee. Unfortunately only the regular Christmas blend comes in the instant Via packs

Creek Dancer
12-06-2011, 11:16
yet another vote for starbucks vias. i wouldn't call it good, but it was fine by me. also, you can re-hydrate them with cold water which was great for folks like me who find stoves inconvenient. come in several flavors too. my favorite was the iced coffee that is sweetened. mix that with 2 carnations instant breakfasts, some dehydrated milk, add water and that was my breakfast of choice on the trail.

I like this idea. Sounds perfect for those rainy or lazy mornings when you don't feel like breaking out the stove. You'd get hydration, protein, vitamins and caffeine. Pretty much everything I need to get going in the mornings.

LDog
12-06-2011, 18:34
My niece is turning into a foodie snob, and prides herself on being on the cutting edge. One of the trends in coffee is the "Pour Over." She recently posted this NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/dining/24coffee.html?pagewanted=all. I realized that what was old is new again, albeit with some technique involved. Howsomever, it is easily adopted to the trail. All you need is one of those Melitta cup-top brewers, some filters (I suppose you could use yer bandana), some grounds, and a way to make hot water ...

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387482_10150458100548534_503258533_8693859_9944403 63_n.jpg

... I'll still use instant on my thru attempt.

T-dub
01-05-2012, 11:32
Like cream or flavor with your coffee but cant justify the extra weight? add a packet of breakfast essentials powdered drink and you have a great tasting coffee with extra goodies to help you on your travels! :)

ChinSpinach
01-05-2012, 12:23
Go for the real deal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_Rfwd5TW50c

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 18:52
I use a mesh tea ball, fill up a 6oz nalgene container of whatever Im drinking at home after grinding it. Put a few scoops in the ball and let it steep in hot water. Perfect cup of coffee on the trail.

Chaco Taco
01-05-2012, 18:53
Like cream or flavor with your coffee but cant justify the extra weight? add a packet of breakfast essentials powdered drink and you have a great tasting coffee with extra goodies to help you on your travels! :)
Wife likes to add hot chocolate to am coffee

Tinker
01-05-2012, 18:59
I carry ground coffee and this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LF44DI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2/180-9065255-7053317?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0BRN5XV471CBDPT9TDQS&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=B000DLB2FI

I boil water in my 1.3 liter pot, put the basket into my cup (actually a small Snow Peak pot with handles), add some grounds (amount varies depending on what strength I want), and pour water over the grounds. I lift the basket several times to wash the water over the grounds and then take it out and add cream (powdered creamer or the individual restaurant servings) and sugar. For several people I can fill my large pot to just below the rim of the coffee basket, add grounds to the basket, and allow it to sink into the pot to steep.
This basket cannot be immersed in boiling water over a flame. I found out the hard way. The basket weighs 1/2 oz.

I'm sorry, I should've answered the OP's question.

No. There's no instant coffee that tastes like good fresh coffee (I've had some pretty terrible fresh coffee :().

Tinker
01-05-2012, 19:01
I use a mesh tea ball, fill up a 6oz nalgene container of whatever Im drinking at home after grinding it. Put a few scoops in the ball and let it steep in hot water. Perfect cup of coffee on the trail.
Coarse ground coffee - or do you just dump the dregs in the bottom of the pot?
I find that even with my reusable filter I get fine sediment on the bottom of my pot.

Tinker
01-05-2012, 19:02

Freeze-dried ice cream is available at most backpacking shops (I've only seen Van/Choc/Straw, though).

Papa D
01-05-2012, 20:11
www.amazon.com/Medaglia-Oro-Instant-Espresso-2-Ounce/dp/B001E5E24A

Sal-XK
01-05-2012, 20:16
My niece is turning into a foodie snob, and prides herself on being on the cutting edge. One of the trends in coffee is the "Pour Over." She recently posted this NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/24/dining/24coffee.html?pagewanted=all. I realized that what was old is new again, albeit with some technique involved. Howsomever, it is easily adopted to the trail. All you need is one of those Melitta cup-top brewers, some filters (I suppose you could use yer bandana), some grounds, and a way to make hot water ...http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/387482_10150458100548534_503258533_8693859_9944403 63_n.jpg... I'll still use instant on my thru attempt.This is what I use all the time just get the reusable filter and there's no trash other then the grounds it's self. With my pocket rocket I can be drinking hot fresh coffe in about 2 minuets. I put the basket right on top of my travel mug and pour. It takes a few attempt to get the amount of coffe and how fast you can pour the water in correct.

rocketsocks
01-05-2012, 21:46
I take some coffee beans lightly crush them up,put them in one of my socks and dip in hot water like a tea bag.Works pretty good and the salt in my sock gives it that doughtnutt shop taste.Let me lay ya'll on to a little sometin.......Instant coffee SUCKS big time.IM not so HO;)

fiddlehead
01-05-2012, 21:57
KISS.
Instant coffee is great.
I recently was in the states and had a friend over who insisted on real coffee every morning.
Yeah, it tasted great. Took a bit longer to make, cost a lot more, had waste to deal with and I was glad to get back to Thailand where our Nescafe instant is tasting great every morning.
Enjoying mine as we speak.
Good stuff.

Don't complicate your lives just for the sake of a better tasting coffee.
You can get used to anything.

rocketsocks
01-05-2012, 22:23
Yeah,..................I drink it too.:(

boyinasuitcase
01-05-2012, 23:43
if there is a Trader Joe's near you, they have single serving instant coffee with sugar and cream already in it. out of luck if you drink it black, but it's pretty decent for the money. i'll be taking it on my thru hike attempt, but mostly i'll carry tea.

rocketsocks
01-06-2012, 00:13
Ok, got one close by,and have'nt tried that one yet,thanks.

Ladytrekker
01-06-2012, 00:16
I mix Bustelo, dried milk and sweet and lo in a ziploc and just put a good size teaspoon in a cup with boiling water and get a good espresso cup of coffee anytime I'm ready.

Furlough
01-06-2012, 07:42
In many of the earlier threads on this topic I too was a Starbucks Via supporter. Now it is Nescafe Clasico. Had both during my section hike from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry this past November. After my first cup of the Clasico I never went back to the Via. The Nescafe Clasico is much less expensive than the Via, has a bolder taste and at least in my area can be found at most of the chain grocery stores.

kayak karl
01-06-2012, 07:53
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=261505
read last sentence......

kayak karl
01-06-2012, 07:58
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=261505
read last sentence......
that was ice coffee

Equi_Sally
01-09-2012, 15:15
Kava Instant, acid neutralized. Taste great when I don't feel like washing the French press. Good cold or hot.

MNBackpacker
01-17-2012, 10:35
Hands down Starbuck VIA.

star
01-19-2012, 00:24
Starbucks Via Christmas Blend is a game-changer. Via Columbia works too once the X-mas Blend is gone.

louisb
01-19-2012, 08:39
What I need is a solar powered Keurig.

--louis
"Instant human, just add coffee"

Doc Mike
01-19-2012, 14:52
In many of the earlier threads on this topic I too was a Starbucks Via supporter. Now it is Nescafe Clasico. Had both during my section hike from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry this past November. After my first cup of the Clasico I never went back to the Via. The Nescafe Clasico is much less expensive than the Via, has a bolder taste and at least in my area can be found at most of the chain grocery stores.

+1 similar story, i do both but only when i get free Via samples

QiWiz
01-20-2012, 14:20
Companion Dovetail swears by Starbucks. Great for short hike but pricey for the grand adventure.

Starbucks Via is the best instant I've had but pricey. Another I've enjoyed that's less pricey is Ferrara Instant Espresso powder that is about $4 for a 2 oz jar. I bring powdered whole milk (Nido) as a creamer and find this satisfies adequately and is very light in the pack.

danmia1
01-21-2012, 13:26
I agree that Starbucks VIA is awesome. A few times a year Starbucks has coupons for those suckers so that's when I stock up on them.

Land_Shark
01-21-2012, 14:14
I carry a french press and a pound of coffee w/creamer every morning at 3am I also have other hiker mojo. Its always a goodmorning with me.

hikerboy57
01-21-2012, 14:39
What I need is a solar powered Keurig.

--louis
"Instant human, just add coffee"i got a keurig for xmas, havent slept since.you'd be surprised what you can accomplish at 2:30 in the morning. I vacuumed the back of the TV(getting one of those Oreck vacuums, too!), rotated my tires, polished all the candlesticks, rearranged my used band aid collection as well as the sock drawer, did 2 loads of laundry, and finished 3 steven king books.has anyone seen that Sex Talk infomercial. turns out im hopelessly inadequate.

waasj
01-21-2012, 20:19
Starbuck Via gets my vote.

Wise Old Owl
01-21-2012, 20:42
$$$ When you can find it, look for freeze dried Kopi Luwak It's the real S***.:D

RORY CALHOUN
01-21-2012, 21:43
French Press Rules! There is a utube where Dave Grohl, of the Foo Fighters (used to be with Kurt Cobain and Nirvana for differing tastes) continuously screams...FRESH POOOOTTT!!! for more fresh French Press in practice session....hmmm, maybe that was me drinking the French Press (pick any good grind) and watching the utube.
i am likely insane but i am going to have a few days of practice trail diet and i plan on putting instant coffee in with a potpourri of foods in a dessert sized baggie....like oats or quinoa, whole nuts, select seeds, protein whey, and a few other additives, maybe some dark chocolate pieces and such and eat and go. i do not think this is "gorp". And frankly, i think that word sucks even though it appears "grandfathered" in.

sheepdog
01-21-2012, 22:53
Instant coffee sucks

it had to be said

louisb
01-22-2012, 09:13
Instant coffee is like bad sex. It is still better than no coffee.

--louis

Papa D
01-22-2012, 09:44
it's funny how great a cup of generic brand instant coffee from a gas station tastes after walking 20 miles in the freezing rain and how drinking such sludge at home would be so unlikely

Ladyofthewoods
01-22-2012, 09:54
Despite my earlier statement that I would no longer post questions on WB...This is really a statement. Starbucks VIA gets my vote, but I don't expect to be able to buy it along the trail very often. I'm afraid I'll be forced to drink whatever I can find to get my caffeine fix. :-(

Papa D
01-22-2012, 12:04
Despite my earlier statement that I would no longer post questions on WB...This is really a statement. Starbucks VIA gets my vote, but I don't expect to be able to buy it along the trail very often. I'm afraid I'll be forced to drink whatever I can find to get my caffeine fix. :-(

You can buy Starbucks Via in regular grocery stores all over the place now - also, many shops run by hostel owners, outfitters, etc. up and down the trail have picked up on the popularity of the Via thing. You'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it will be for you to get --- assuming you are just doing 2 per day, it's not so hard to carry 20 of the things either -- you might also get lucky and find some in hiker boxes - I have.

dave_phillips
01-26-2012, 21:53
My favorite is Bustello Freeze Dried coffee. It is a bit bitter/sour, but what coffee isn't. Nescafe Instant is also surprisingly good. Make sure you purify your water (http://www.watermicrofilters.com) first though!

RetroGear
01-27-2012, 00:22
Instant coffee is great.

No it's not ... but as has already been said, bad coffee beats no coffee.

Don't complicate your lives just for the sake of a better tasting coffee.

Why not? (If only I could find a 6-ounce, 10-mile long extension cord so I could bring my Mr. Coffee ...)

long2bhiking
01-27-2012, 00:34
Starbucks vio is the way to go. I buy it at Costco

Delima12
01-28-2012, 10:43
I personally prefer Nescafe Classico. It is fabulous! Also it is stronger and more flavourful than other instant coffee. It tastes same as real coffee.

randyg45
01-29-2012, 15:13
Make cowboy coffee, strain it thru a bandana or such if you like...

SassyWindsor
01-30-2012, 00:50
I've been thinking about taking my existing press carafe (some type of clear plastic) and having it cut in half to save weight and bulk. I use this press for leaf tea as well as coffee (when the tea runs out).

SassyWindsor
01-30-2012, 00:52
If anyone finds a way to duplicate Starbucks Via (instant powder) please post.

Slack-jawed Trog
02-09-2012, 00:02
Make cowboy coffee, strain it thru a bandana or such if you like...

This. However I have "settled" for less mess, Nescafe's French Roast Instant Singles is quick, easy and tolerable:http://www.tasterschoice.com/products/french-roast.aspx
YMMV, and invariably will...

coach lou
02-09-2012, 00:41
Starbucks vio is the way to go. I buy it at Costco What flavors are available?

DCHiker
02-09-2012, 00:46
For shorter trip Starbucks via is the way to go. Coffee can be currency when camping. I was camping in Alaska (Denali State Park) this summer and had a couple trade me moose kielbasa for a couple cups of morning coffee. They offered and I happily accepted. The moose kielbasa was fantastic by the way.

mrcoffeect
02-09-2012, 07:18
in one word..... NO

Rayo
02-13-2012, 16:13
I first started drinking coffee when I lived in Mexico. There, we drank nescafe until I learned that many affectionately referred to it as "no es cafe," translation: "it's not coffee."

If you're drinking it for the effect, don't sweat the brand too much (they all pretty much taste burnt); if you're drinking it for the flavor, grab some arabica beans and a french press.

coach lou
02-19-2012, 10:32
I'm a coffee junkie...I carry a small 2 cup perculator! This weekend I went on a ice hockey road trip and bought some VIA. Tasty and strong, my perculator will now stay in my Camper, and Via will be in my backpack. And they have have decaf for Mrs. Coach Lou!

amac
02-19-2012, 12:06

I haven't found any. I've tried all those described above and I guess I'm just a coffee snob. I make real drip coffee on the trail with a home-made filter holder.

Harpua
02-19-2012, 12:26
dark chocolate covered espresso beans.... i just bought some of it from nutsinbulk.com for $6 a lb.

Drybones
02-24-2012, 17:08
I gave up finding a decent instant coffee and bought 40 "one cup" filters from Campmor and started using my regular coffee, cost was $2.49. It takes about 1-minute to filter it into a cup, filters weigh nothing.