PDA

View Full Version : 6moons SCOUT vs TREKKER vs TARPTENT CONTRAIL

rowan
11-26-2011, 20:42
Hi folks... just looking for some back and forth conversation to help me along in my shelter choice for upcoming NOBO through hike.

I am putting together my gear on a budget, which makes the 6moons scout extremely tempting (it just went on sale for 105!). In the same token, the trekker just went on sale and is now running at 192. I'm trying to decide if the 10oz weight savings is worth the extra $$$.

Thinking along those lines, if I am going to be shelling down the 200 should I be considering the contrail from tarptent instead? Any insight from users of these models would be appreciated - esp those who have seen them in person to compare. Thanks again!

Rowan

HeartFire
11-26-2011, 21:24
Did you take a look at the LightHeart Solo? it's also on sale right now. wwwllightheartgear.com
Judy aka HeartFire of LightHeart Gear

sir limpsalot
11-26-2011, 21:29
i concur with judy....check out lghtheart solo if you're under 6'. otherwise, i own the trekker and, yes, the weight savings /no mildew aspect is what is about in pursuit of weight savings.

garlic08
11-27-2011, 01:46
I tried a SixMoons tent (discontinued) on one hike, then tried a HS Tarptent, and am happier with Tarptent. I currently own a Contrail (over 6000 trail miles on it) that you'd have to pry out of my cold, dead hands. Sorry, I can't compare the SixMoons models you listed. I agree that LightHeart looks like good product, too.

FamilyGuy
11-27-2011, 13:13
I have only used a Contrail on the list and with great success. Given the choices, I would want my trekking pole(s) to be on the outside of the inner living area as they get dirty, muddy, etc, so that would only leave on choice for me. I believe the Lightheart also required treeking poles inside the shelter.

rowan
12-12-2011, 22:36
Thanks for comments, I'm bumping to hope for a few more.

I believe I've narrowed it down to the Lightheart vs. the Contrail. It seems the lightheart has been more battle-tested, and is completely double wall vs. the 80% double wall in the skyscape.

My real dilemma is still the tarptent vs. tent. I would love some of the experienced long-distance to hikers to chime in with the mindset that brings. Part of me says - "after hiking all day, I want to be able to stealth camp in a small nook and pass out til morning. the tarptent will be perfect. no large footprint needed, sleek design, and extremely well reviewed."
Another part of me looks at the lightheart and says "THOSE VIEWS!". A few more ounces, perhaps a little more size taken up in the pack, but I can lay out and watch the clouds breeze past the moon in bug free utopia.

I know these are personal choices I will have to make, as there is always a sacrifice. I'd love to hear a few more perspectives, nonetheless.

Packability, small footprint, downright cool VERSUS those views, more room inside...with a few extra ounces.

Any input?

Anyone know how small the lightheart or smd packs down compared to the contrail?

Thanks so much,

rowan

skinewmexico
12-12-2011, 23:09
I thought the Notch was replacing the Contrail?

q-tip
12-13-2011, 00:03
I used the Contrail for 1,000 miles. Moving to the Gossamer Gear Spinnaker Tarp. Should work as well as the TT, and weighs in at 10 oz.

Franco
12-13-2011, 04:17
I thought the Notch was replacing the Contrail?

No , the Notch is ,in a way, the replacement for the Sublite Sil.
The Contrail is still in demand. ( hint : by the time you add a bug net or bivvy and groundcloth, the Contrail is still very competitive in weight (and cost) and maybe nicer to use...)
Franco
[email protected]

garlic08
12-13-2011, 11:09
Your dilemma is a classic one, and a choice you need to make. Are you packing for a camping trip or a hiking trip?

By the way, the Contrail does not exactly have a small footprint. The canopy is actually quite large. That's a huge advantage in heavy rain--water sheds pretty far away from the sleeping area--but it takes a little more work to pitch in the brush like you see in New England on the AT.

A huge advantage of the Contrail for me is that there are no hoop poles to assemble, pack, break, or loose. And it takes only one trekking pole, an advantage if you manage to break or lose one of those. Those rear struts are the genius of the design, in my opinion. And only four stakes (minimum). I doubt there's a more easily packed shelter out there. Drop one front support, pull four stakes, shove it in the pack, and go.

Another note on the Contrail--there is a learning curve to getting the pitch just right. It will probably take weeks, but it's easy once you get it right. I don't know how it compares to the Lightheart, but it was similar to my former SMD tent.

Persistent
12-13-2011, 11:42
The LightHeart Solo packs down to a cylinder that is approx. 12 inches long and 6 inches in diameter. This includes the ridge pole but you could compress it further if you packed the ridge pole separately.
Marc Penansky
LightHeart Gear

rowan
12-13-2011, 13:21
Your dilemma is a classic one, and a choice you need to make. Are you packing for a camping trip or a hiking trip?

By the way, the Contrail does not exactly have a small footprint. The canopy is actually quite large. That's a huge advantage in heavy rain--water sheds pretty far away from the sleeping area--but it takes a little more work to pitch in the brush like you see in New England on the AT.

A huge advantage of the Contrail for me is that there are no hoop poles to assemble, pack, break, or loose. And it takes only one trekking pole, an advantage if you manage to break or lose one of those. Those rear struts are the genius of the design, in my opinion. And only four stakes (minimum). I doubt there's a more easily packed shelter out there. Drop one front support, pull four stakes, shove it in the pack, and go.

Another note on the Contrail--there is a learning curve to getting the pitch just right. It will probably take weeks, but it's easy once you get it right. I don't know how it compares to the Lightheart, but it was similar to my former SMD tent.

This is the type of reply I was looking for - thanks for your input. The contrail seems to be winning when it comes to packability and simplicity. The lightheart is still tempting with the views. Did you ever find yourself lying in the contrail thinking "man, i wish i could see the stars through the trees above me!" or are you fairly content with a days beautiful hike and ready to crawl in and shut those eyes? I Know, very personal decision at this point, just trying to get all angles. Thanks to the community!

On another note, I'm watchin 2 blue jays pitching their nests in trees as I type. Maybe I should roll like them, and not even carry a shelter :P

rowan

HeartFire
12-13-2011, 13:49
another thought about single wall vs double wall - (and yes of course I'm pushing my tents) but when you get into the hot muggy summer weather, you will want to catch any (cross) breeze you can while remaining bug free, can you do that in the contrail the way you can do that in the LightHeart Solo? last year I had quite a few people switch out tents for a LightHeart Solo when they got into Virginia, and muggy humid weather.

Just something else to think about...
Judy Gross
LightHeart Gear

Mike2012
12-13-2011, 15:07
I still haven't found a tent I am happy with online so I guess I need to get to some stores and crawl inside them and see what's comfortable. I want an enclosed space with floor and generous screening and a rain fly that weighs under 3 pounds I suppose. My 5 pound 2 person canoe camping tent isn't going to cut it.

FamilyGuy
12-13-2011, 15:46
another thought about single wall vs double wall - (and yes of course I'm pushing my tents) but when you get into the hot muggy summer weather, you will want to catch any (cross) breeze you can while remaining bug free, can you do that in the contrail the way you can do that in the LightHeart Solo? last year I had quite a few people switch out tents for a LightHeart Solo when they got into Virginia, and muggy humid weather.

Just something else to think about...
Judy Gross
LightHeart Gear

In the Contrail? Yup. Front, back, and sides. The vestibule also rolls away for views and even the foot end can be ventilated.

daddytwosticks
12-13-2011, 17:06
I've owned and used the Contrail for a short time. I have one of Judy's tents now. Having a side entry rather than trying to shimmy in without knocking down a support pole is a big deal for me at my "advanced" age. Probably not a deal breaked for you. :)

garlic08
12-13-2011, 18:35
This is the type of reply I was looking for - thanks for your input. The contrail seems to be winning when it comes to packability and simplicity. The lightheart is still tempting with the views. Did you ever find yourself lying in the contrail thinking "man, i wish i could see the stars through the trees above me!" or are you fairly content with a days beautiful hike and ready to crawl in and shut those eyes? I Know, very personal decision at this point, just trying to get all angles. Thanks to the community!

You're welcome. I don't go for views from the tent, only sleep. I'm one of the "up before dawn and hike into the night" hikers. By the time I pitch a tent, I've already eaten, done toilet duty, and hiked a few extra miles into the evening so I just pitch and go to sleep. On full moon nights, I often look for a shade tree so the moonlight doesn't try to keep me awake.

I learned a good alternate pitch of the Contrail that was meant for snow but was also good for extra ventilation. You need two extra lines and stakes, one forward from the peak and one to the rear from the middle of the foot box, and you prop up that rear point with a stick, adding a "peak ridge" to the normally flat roof. You get more open room and foot space that way. It's a good way to shed a nominal amount of snow and hail, drains better in heavy rain, and the two extra tie-down points add security. I always carry two extra stakes, anyway.

FamilyGuy
12-13-2011, 18:41
I've owned and used the Contrail for a short time. I have one of Judy's tents now. Having a side entry rather than trying to shimmy in without knocking down a support pole is a big deal for me at my "advanced" age. Probably not a deal breaked for you. :)

You can set up the Contrail with two trekking poles for obstacle free entry (like an inverted V).

daddytwosticks
12-14-2011, 08:15
I knew about the two-pole, inverted V pitch of the Contral at the time I owned it...just too uncoordinated/stupid to make it work! :)

FamilyGuy
12-14-2011, 12:36
I knew about the two-pole, inverted V pitch of the Contral at the time I owned it...just too uncoordinated/stupid to make it work! :)

You have owned or own two great shelters - obviously not stupid! Quite the contrary.

Cheers,:banana

daddytwosticks
12-14-2011, 16:53
To be honest with you, bringing sharp objects (the tips of the hiking poles) into the lightheart tent to set it up brings beads of sweat to my forehead every time! :)

rowan
12-15-2011, 19:58
Hi folks, just wanted to say thanks for the input and thoughts. I pulled the trigger on a minimally used contrail, seamsealed, for 165. Feeling pretty happy about it. I'm sure there are shortfalls but as with all gear, once you have it - you learn to love it and use it to the best of its capabilities. Can't wait to try it out!

rowan

Creek Dancer
12-20-2011, 11:05
I have owned both the Contrail (older version) and the current LightHeart Gear Standard Solo. They are both good tents, but there are differences.

Even after several years of using the Contrail, I was never quite able to pitch the tent in a way where the bathtub floor and mesh wall would stand up correctly. I could not pitch the tent to match the pictures on the website. This caused the bathtub floor to lay nearly flat against the ground and this also caused the mesh to be more vertcle than horizontal. I believe that this problem contributed to the condensation problems I often encountered because the air flow was diminished - even when I pitched the tent into the wind. (One time it actually snowed inside my tent from frozen condensation. That was interesting. ) I had several discussions with people here on Whiteblaze, as well as help from other people while camping, but I just could not get it right. Admittedly, this was most likely user error, but I just didn't want to continue to struggle to get the tent right. I wanted to relax when I got to camp. Now, having said all that, the tent never let me down. It a good tent, but just not the one for me. I wanted something simpler.

So for about the same amount of weight, I ending up with The Lightheart Solo. The tent is very easy to pitch and I have not experienced the same condensation problems as I did with the Contrail. I used this tent on Mt. Mitchell during one of the worst storms I have ever experienced. For three hours, we had very strong winds, heavy rain, and pounding hail. Absolutely no problems with the Solo. The Solo seems to have about the same amount of floor space as the Contrail, but it is configured differently. You have to use your hiking poles to pitch this tent, which is fine - unless you break one of your poles. I suppose you could, in a pinch, use a strong stick as a replacement. I made one small adjustment to the Solo whereby I attached a thin guy line and hook to the outside of the bathtub floor which I attach to the fly. This pulled the wall away from the interior and gave me even more room inside.

Tinker
12-20-2011, 11:34
CONDENSATION: That dreaded word - you will get it on the underside of the fly (or roof, in a single-walled tent), and if you don't have a fabric roof under it, you will, when the weather conditions are just right - foggy, or very high humidity) get some misting. It's a product of vapor deposition (a term I learned when studying plants growing in arid environments, where fog is the only way that they get water).

THERE IS NO ESCAPE!!! :eek:Happy hiking! :sun