PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine Plans 15,000 Mile Trek

DapperD
11-27-2011, 17:45
Former Marine plans 5 year trek across the nation:http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2011/11/former_marine_passes_through_j.html

Lion King
11-27-2011, 19:26
there are no former or ex Marines, and they spelled CORP - Core.
Good luck to him

MuddyWaters
11-27-2011, 20:22
And as President of this soon-to-be non-profit, he would of course pay himself a handsome salary.

He is an unemployed person , living in a basement of his neice for 1.5 yrs. Does he have any skills? What did he do in the past 22 yrs since he was active in the marines? Sounds like he is upset that the world would allow veterans to be unemployed. OK, not really veterans, just himself. My gut is that if he had a job, he wouldnt be doing this.

I dont see any reason for any unemployed to receive favoritism over any other, armed services history or not. With the possible exception of disabled vets or such. Noble as it may be, (or maybe not depending on circumstances), most persons enter the voluntary armed services as a job. Sometimes they are patriotic, sometimes they are really gung-ho, sometimes they have no skills, no prospect for any job, no access to further education, no idea of what to do after HS, and it is a temporary solution. Our soldiers are compensated. Fed, housed, and often given training in areas that can be used for a job or career after discharge if they make smart decisions. All while being paid, and living high-adventure, and often getting to travel the world at someone elses expense. Not to mention getting to play with the best "toys" in the world.

If you choose to be a sniper, dont count of being able to use that much if you leave the services. But an aircraft mechanic can land a good job. People do need to take some responsibility for their own decisions in their life.

Del Q
11-27-2011, 20:32
Am guessing that this guy is not going to be on any "trails", word used lightly

One Half
11-27-2011, 20:46
And as President of this soon-to-be non-profit, he would of course pay himself a handsome salary.

He is an unemployed person , living in a basement of his neice for 1.5 yrs. Does he have any skills? What did he do in the past 22 yrs since he was active in the marines? Sounds like he is upset that the world would allow veterans to be unemployed. OK, not really veterans, just himself. My gut is that if he had a job, he wouldnt be doing this.

I dont see any reason for any unemployed to receive favoritism over any other, armed services history or not. With the possible exception of disabled vets or such. Noble as it may be, (or maybe not depending on circumstances), most persons enter the voluntary armed services as a job. Sometimes they are patriotic, sometimes they are really gung-ho, sometimes they have no skills, no prospect for any job, no access to further education, no idea of what to do after HS, and it is a temporary solution. Our soldiers are compensated. Fed, housed, and often given training in areas that can be used for a job or career after discharge if they make smart decisions. All while being paid, and living high-adventure, and often getting to travel the world at someone elses expense. Not to mention getting to play with the best "toys" in the world.

If you choose to be a sniper, dont count of being able to use that much if you leave the services. But an aircraft mechanic can land a good job. People do need to take some responsibility for their own decisions in their life.

You Sir are an ASS. The pay sucks. The housing is oftentimes these days a tent in a dessert and that high adventure you refer to includes people trying to kill you. And if you have never "traveled" in a troop transport - well let's just say the back of a bus next to the bathroom is an improvement. And as far as getting to play with the best "toys" in the world, obviously you don't realize most troops in the field are not playing with toys, they are using tools to get a job done. A job you won't or can't do. It takes a special kind of person to VOLUNTEER to go into harm's way.

I don't know what this guy's motivations are but they can't be any mor reprehensible than your comments.

Bearpaw
11-27-2011, 20:50
"Marine" is a title and is therefore capitalized. And you are absolutely clueless as to the type of person who joins the Marine Corps They are a different breed with a different mindset.

He's already been out there for about half the time a thru-hike would take. He's not asking for favoritism, and according to the article he had a job when he chose to start his walk.

Your resentment is wholly unjustified.

Bearpaw
11-27-2011, 20:52

"Marine" is a title and is therefore capitalized. And you are absolutely clueless as to the type of person who joins the Marine Corps They are a different breed with a different mindset.

He's already been out there for about half the time a thru-hike would take. He's not asking for favoritism, and according to the article he had a job when he chose to start his walk.

Your resentment is wholly unjustified.

Just a Hiker
11-27-2011, 21:00
Hey Muddywaters, if you haven't served or haven't been to VA Hospital lately to see why the unemployment rate is so high for Veterans....Shut the ****** up!

wornoutboots
11-27-2011, 21:12

Your resentment is wholly unjustified. This type of post is a joke, any Marine, would never want their name to be a part of such a post!!!!! What is it with ppl wanting to lift someone up & glorify them?? We are We & no one is better or worse, hike & hike!!

Peace

Hooch
11-27-2011, 21:24
This type of post is a joke, any Marine, would never want their name to be a part of such a post!!!!! What is it with ppl wanting to lift someone up & glorify them?? We are We & no one is better or worse, hike & hike!!

PeaceClearly, you know nothing of your nation's Corps of Marines, nor do you hold the title of United States Marine. But this I can tell you: Both Bearpaw and I do. Treat those who keep you free to make the kind of ignorant statement that you just did with resent and contempt if you will. However, your understanding of our traditions and way of life isn't necesarry and your approval is cetainly not needed.

Bearpaw
11-27-2011, 21:59
This type of post is a joke, any Marine, would never want their name to be a part of such a post!!!!! What is it with ppl wanting to lift someone up & glorify them?? We are We & no one is better or worse, hike & hike!!

Peace

MuddyWaters chose to denigrate this man and millions of men and women who have served. I called him out on it. Plain as that. I don't glorify what this man is doing, but I won't stand idly by while someone else casts aspersions on someone who is actually making an effort to help his brothers and sisters.

And before you attempt to speak for Marines around the world, you might want to actually know something about them. Your arrogance is appalling.

bamboo bob
11-27-2011, 22:05
At the risk of getting flamed I'll say this. I have three good friend that I can think of off hand that served in the US Marine Corp and I love them dearly. I myself lucked out with a high draft number in 1970. That said I always cringe at people "hiking" to raise money for a cause because I think that they usually donate the money left over after their "hiking" expenses if at all. So unless they have organized their effort as a 501,3c tax exempt organization I'll remain wary of donating to any of them. The DAV, which is a charity I support, for one, does a lot of what this Marine hopes to do. There are others including the much maligned VA. I question if we really need yet another organization that must spend money on its own administration before it does any good for anybody.

swjohnsey
11-27-2011, 22:14
As a retired member of the military, U.S. Army Airborne Ranger, joined 1966, this guy is an embarassment to folks who served their country then got on with their lives.

Bearpaw
11-27-2011, 22:17
At the risk of getting flamed I'll say this. I have three good friend that I can think of off hand that served in the US Marine Corp and I love them dearly. I myself lucked out with a high draft number in 1970. That said I always cringe at people "hiking" to raise money for a cause because I think that they usually donate the money left over after their "hiking" expenses if at all. So unless they have organized their effort as a 501,3c tax exempt organization I'll remain wary of donating to any of them. The DAV, which is a charity I support, for one, does a lot of what this Marine hopes to do. There are others including the much maligned VA. I question if we really need yet another organization that must spend money on its own administration before it does any good for anybody.

No flames from me. I understand your point, and it is a good one. My frustration was with the attitudes expressed toward our servicemen in earlier posts.

I will say that there have been some outstanding veterans' charities that have arisen in the last few years outside the ones you mention. Homes For Our Troops (http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer) and Wounded Warrior Project (http://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=167&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100106&gclid=COemhuOg2KwCFRIr7Aod2kekOw) are two that relatively new and have done great work. But I admit that I checked out both, as well as other charities I have given to, with Charity Navigator (http://www.charitynavigator.org/?gclid=CO3v4oqh2KwCFRG67QodO2mfrQ) before I donated. I'll continue to do the same in the future.

Just a Hiker
11-27-2011, 22:25

As far as I can tell, this Devil Dog isn't asking for money to offset his travel expenses....he's just trying to bring attention to Veteran's issues with his little organization. He reminds me of a guy I hiked with for a long time in '06....he hadn't worn shoes since he returned from Vietnam, and was thru-hiking barefoot and all of his gear was made of Tyvek. "Tyvek" was hiking to bring attention to Veteran's issues, and since I'm a Marine, we got along pretty well. He eventually was allowed to testify in front of Congress on Veteran's issues. So, I say let this guy walk all he wants....he's not hurting anybody.

MuddyWaters
11-27-2011, 23:06
MuddyWaters chose to denigrate this man and millions of men and women who have served. I called him out on it. Plain as that. I don't glorify what this man is doing, but I won't stand idly by while someone else casts aspersions on someone who is actually making an effort to help his brothers and sisters.

And before you attempt to speak for Marines around the world, you might want to actually know something about them. Your arrogance is appalling.

I did no such thing IMO.

Being a Marine does not automatically make a person a great person. In fact, a few are the opposite, just like the general population. I am however quite suspicious of people and thier motives for doing things, especially if money is involved.

My father-in-law is a former Marine. Lets see, as a young man he was a car thief who stole cars for the Mafia. He had to relocate across the country to hide from them at some point,. He served in Vietnam. Worked in a fuel depot where he directed fuel to destinations, either avgas or jetfuel by color. He is colorblind and had to guess, didnt bother him at all to risk lives. Worked construction afterwards, went bankrupt due to shoddy work and fraudulent accounting. Served as a building maintenance manager on a big commercial building he helped build, got fired from job and prosecuted for clocking-in/out timecards of attractive women for them when they werent there.

I generally regard him as scum. I dont care if he was a Marine, that changes nothing at all.

I know some former Marines, smart honorable people, hard working, good jobs , whether they went to college or not. I know a few loosely that are none of the above, not people I care to associate with. One good buddy of mine from college was a Marine and a hero in Desert Storm. He was a military brat, military family for a couple generations. The most hardcore type I ever met. Chuck would never want or expect any consideration for joblessness because he was a veteran. Of course, he had a college education too, he was intelligent and an officer.

There is no link between being a veteran and joblessness, or any reason for special considerations if not injured, disabled, during the course of service. If anything, past military service is a huge plus on a resume, it suggests organization, reliability, and task focused behavior. People are responsible for making their own lives into what they are, and the choices they make.

Raising money for memorials for fallen is great.

Creating awareness of jobless veterans is much less so and smells of self-serving given the mans spotty employment history, and dependence on a neice for housing at 50 yrs old.

You are free to disagree.

MuddyWaters
11-27-2011, 23:24

I did no such thing IMO.

Being a Marine does not automatically make a person a great person. In fact, a few are the opposite, just like the general population. I am however quite suspicious of people and thier motives for doing things, especially if money is involved.

My father-in-law is a former Marine. Lets see, as a young man he was a car thief who stole cars for the Mafia. He had to relocate across the country to hide from them at some point,. He served in Vietnam. Worked in a fuel depot where he directed fuel to destinations, either avgas or jetfuel by color. He is colorblind and had to guess, didnt bother him at all to risk lives. Worked construction afterwards, went bankrupt due to shoddy work and fraudulent accounting. Served as a building maintenance manager on a big commercial building he helped build, got fired from job and prosecuted for clocking-in/out timecards of attractive women for them when they werent there.

I generally regard him as scum. I dont care if he was a Marine, that changes nothing at all.

I know some former Marines, smart honorable people, hard working, good jobs , whether they went to college or not. I know a few loosely that are none of the above, not people I care to associate with. One good buddy of mine from college was a Marine and a hero in Desert Storm. He was a military brat, military family for a couple generations. The most hardcore type I ever met. Chuck would never want or expect any consideration for joblessness because he was a veteran. Of course, he had a college education too, he was intelligent and an officer.

There is no link between being a veteran and joblessness, or any reason for special considerations if not injured, disabled, during the course of service. If anything, past military service is a huge plus on a resume, it suggests organization, reliability, and task focused behavior. People are responsible for making their own lives into what they are, and the choices they make.

Raising money for memorials for fallen is great.

Creating awareness of jobless veterans is much less so and smells of self-serving given the mans spotty employment history, and dependence on a neice for housing at 50 yrs old.

You are free to disagree.

MuddyWaters
11-28-2011, 00:32
Nope, I didnt serve. I was offered an appointment to the Air Force Academy, but let a friend have it because I knew my eyes werent going to be good enough to be a fighter pilot. I let a friend have it and he is still a test pilot at Eglin today.

However, I can say that I was there once when the response to an incursion into US airspace was directed......from my dads golf cart.