PDA

View Full Version : WB Hostel & Lodging Article recently updated

Jeff
11-28-2011, 11:50
Recently we updated the information in the "Hostel & Lodging" article found here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?59).

If you find anything that needs to be corrected please let me know.

Rain Man
11-28-2011, 12:45
Query: Since "Lodging" is one of the "Types" listed, why isn't something like the Big Meadows Lodge listed right along with the Big Meadows Campground, and so forth? By comparison, the Amicalola Lodge is listed.

Not a complaint, just asking so I understand how complete ("incomplete"?) the list is, or rather, to accurately understand what it purports or is intended to be. I know it can't be all things.

Thanks! I appreciate the list.

Rain:sunMan

tdoczi
11-28-2011, 14:33
similarly to remains question, there are things on this list 10 miles off of the trail. is there a limit to how far off the trail something can be and be included? do things that far have to provide shuttle? i see a number on there that do, but others i am pretty sure do not. there are also several places i know of practically right on the trail that are not listed (hotels on rt 11 in carlisle, pa? mentions the truck stop, but not the 3 or 4 hotels?)

if 10 miles off the trail without a shuttle offered is worthy of being on this list then this list would be massively bigger if it was attempting anything like being complete.

TJ aka Teej
11-28-2011, 14:58
Monson: 3.4 to Shaw's, 3.5 to Lake Shore (east, which is really south), and camping only at Shaw's. Rebekah's new last name is Anderson. It's 23 miles "east' to the AT Lodge in Millinocket from the 100M trailhead. Did Harrison's Pierce Pond Camps close?
Shaw's lowest rate is $24, which leads me to ask - shouldn't you make it clear you're listing the 'starting at, limited availability'' rates for most hostels listed? And east and west - shouldn't you clarify that's really right or left to a northbounder at the road crossing?

Sly
11-29-2011, 17:25
Looks like this information is straight from the Thru-Hikers' Companion. A couple lodging providers are new members of ALDHA and the information has only been posted in one or two places. It would be nice if ALDHA and the voluteers that collected the information got credit.

Anyway, for what it's worth, and a quick glance, it's not likely Happy Hiker Hollow will open in 2012 and Chet's and Nolichucky Campgound don't want to be in any publications.

Lastly, 12 Tribes Hostel in Rutland is now the Hostel at the Yellow Deli, and it's 7.5 miles from the trail.

attroll
11-30-2011, 04:40
Looks like this information is straight from the Thru-Hikers' Companion. A couple lodging providers are new members of ALDHA and the information has only been posted in one or two places. It would be nice if ALDHA and the voluteers that collected the information got credit.

Anyway, for what it's worth, and a quick glance, it's not likely Happy Hiker Hollow will open in 2012 and Chet's and Nolichucky Campgound don't want to be in any publications.

Lastly, 12 Tribes Hostel in Rutland is now the Hostel at the Yellow Deli, and it's 7.5 miles from the trail.
Sly

I am not sure where this listing originally came from, it has been on WhiteBlaze for well over five years and updated. That is not to say it did not come from the Companion. I am not sure how long the Companion has listed them in this manner. Either way we do want to thank the ALDHA volunteers and the Companion, they do provide so much help for all Appalachian Trail hikers and there work goes unrecognized to often. I want to take the time right now to thank ALDHA and there Volunteers.

Thank you for the updates.

Quick question, you said the Hostel at the Yellow Deli is 7.5 miles from the trail. Which trail head are you referring to? There are two trail heads to get to Rutland. The 10 miles was from Killington (US 4). I am sure you are speaking of the one from VT 103, am I correct?