PDA

View Full Version : question about trekking poles!

DavidNH
11-28-2011, 12:35
Hi,

I have a nearly brand new pair of Leki Makalu trekking poles. Got them free as a raffle prize at a bbq for trail volunteers. Anyway, they have the twist lock mechanism. you twist this way and they extend or shorten. Twist that way and the poles lock in place at that specific length.

I find that the poles at times collapse on themselves for no good reason and I have to then readjust their lengths. Actually, I find that when poles are leaned on on solid rock they hold, but when I press down on them on soft ground, that's when they collapse. Why does this happen, and how can I stop this from happening? The poles are whistle clean.. only been used a couple times so far.

If it matters, my poles do NOT have the anti shock mechanism.

David NH

ChinMusic
11-28-2011, 12:53
I personally do NOT like twist-lock poles. But, I have not had a problem with them not holding length under stress. I can only assume you are not tightening them enough when you lock them to length. I like to adjust my poles on the fly for extended ups and downs. The twist-lock poles are just a PITA for me. There are times they won't lock no matter how many turns you give it. There is a fix for this but it means stopping and dealing with it. The latch-lock poles, which Leki makes now, are IMO, the way to go.

The "Leki Guy" will see this thread soon enough and give you advice.

bigcranky
11-28-2011, 13:14
My Leki poles collapse all the time. Extremely annoying. Now when I am hiking, I occasionally tighten the poles while I walk. No need to break stride, just pick up a pole, grab the end, tighten it, and repeat with the other pole. Doesn't stop all collapses, but it helps a lot.

Like I said, annoying.

Serial 07
11-28-2011, 13:31
oh, it's annoying alright...this happens with my super makalu's...

RevLee
11-28-2011, 15:06
I have to tighten mine every couple of days. They do make a little rattle before they start to collapse, so if I forget to tighten them I can catch it before they move.

Elder
11-28-2011, 15:07
The "Leki Guy" will see this thread soon enough and give you advice.
Sadly, I was fired by Leki the week before the Outdoor Retailer. No notice, no nothing. So, NO Leki Guy.

The Happy side is the opportunities that are coming to me!
Watch for a Spring announcement on The American Trekking Pole Company.
I am working on a very Green approach..Bamboo shafts!, with modern grips/straps, tips and baskets!

Elder

ChinMusic
11-28-2011, 15:22
Sadly, I was fired by Leki the week before the Outdoor Retailer. No notice, no nothing. So, NO Leki Guy.

I am working on a very Green approach..Bamboo shafts!, with modern grips/straps, tips and baskets!

Elder

Found The American Trekking Pole Company on Facebook. Will be following. I'm #52......

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-American-Trekking-Pole-Co/284831574872630?sk=wall#!/pages/The-American-Trekking-Pole-Co/284831574872630

leaftye
11-28-2011, 15:53
@DavidNH

Perhaps pull the bottom pole out and clean it? My Super Makalu's are about 10 years old, so maybe that is helping, but they don't slip. I suspect there's some mild oxidation inside that's increasing friction. They do slip occasionally if I adjust them when they're wet, but that's to be expected.

@Elder

Sorry about losing your job with Leki. I can't wait to see what the new company comes out with.

Rocket Jones
11-28-2011, 21:18
My Pacer poles have the twist lock and they have never collapsed on me. I also carry a couple of small squares of grippy rubber for when they're twisted too tight to easily adjust.

Iceaxe
11-28-2011, 21:42

Elder

I have used my Leki Makalu Corklites to death. I also have the slippage problem on occasion. Especially when entering a snow field or a cold water stream. The aluminum contracts and causes the lower section to let go. Also the left hand pole seems to come loose more often than the right hand pole, particularly with larger snow baskets on in the snow. The natural twisting action of the left hand tend to unscrew the pole while the right hand side tends to tighten the pole.
Overtightening the poles can cause the aluminun shaft ,where the adjuster rocket screw body is splined in, to crack.
It ain't a fatal flaw (the poles still work) and Leki replaces the section everytime.
I used adjustable poles cause i can collapse them for resupply stops and to support my tarp.
However, I now have a couple of dedicated Easton poles for my tarp and am thinking of switching to fixed length poles of the light weight variety.
I've got an icky old pair of camfire burnt, rock rashed, skipoles but Bamboo poles sound dead sexy!
Anyhow, I am stoked to read about your new venture!
I have friend-ed your site on facebook and will be following your progress. A green option sounds great for my next set of trekking poles.

Mike2012
11-28-2011, 22:01
I used to laugh when I heard the click clack of the poles coming up the trail but now that I am planning a thru everyone is saying everyone uses poles or at least a walking stick. A 2011er at the local sporting goods store recommends leki because they are guaranteed for life but then I saw they were $99 bucks for something I don't even know if I will like.

Should I maybe use some old XC ski poles to see if I even like them or are the shock absorbing and adjustable ski poles really that much better?

also considering a bowstaff...

Iceaxe
11-28-2011, 22:13
I was the same way Mike. I used to think trekking poles were a yuppie type thing. Since starting Long Distance hiking I have found them to be both useful.. and a yuppie type thing.
Seriously, they were very helpful on the AT for me this year. I could not always use them on the vertical rock climbing section of "trail" but everywhere else they saved my knees and gave me a second chance when i slipped.
Still, I met a hiker named Woty towards the end this year and he had come all the way without poles. It was intersting to watch him negotiate the 100 mile wilderness in the rain.
I realized I could afford to be more careless since i could catch myself with my poles. Woty kinda held his arms out when he came to an obstacle and had become quick like a cat when he slipped.
Not sure if any of this is helpful.
I met a large number of folks early on that were just using sticks they found so that is always a good and free option.
Trailblazer always seemed to have a knarled branch in his hands, hiking through the bigelows wearing a fleece snuggie.. That dude is awesome!
As for shock absorbing poles.. Just my opinion but I have never heard anyone say they were useful. Most hikers i met used poles without shocks.

atmilkman
11-28-2011, 23:01

Elder
Hey Chris I remember you telling my wife and I about the raw Leki deal up on Springer the day Jenn came in. Too bad for Leki and DavidNH. Sorry about mistaking you for Warren Doyle but I had never met either one of you. That was funny what you said. Checked out the Facebook page, I'm #55, hope things go well for you. DavidNH I wish I could offer some input but I too have latch-locks. Hopefully some of the others can tell some things that will help.

BreakWind
11-29-2011, 06:23
poles are like water filters - people are told they are must haves. they are not, but they can come in handy when the going gets tough. saving the knees is debatable, saving a fall - sure, causing a fall - they can. i have found them less handy the more miles i do. ymmv

DavidNH
11-29-2011, 09:38
my poles are brand new and whistle clean.. so no point cleaning them!!!!

Summit
11-29-2011, 09:59
I have a pair of both, twist locks and Black Diamond flick-locks. I only backpack with the BDs. I use the twist-lock ones for everyday walking (upper body workout and makes using them on a hike easy, since I use them nearly everyday). The flick-locks are awesome, never slip. My twist-locks used to, but I've worn a grove where I tighten them in the same place (do that on purpose) and no longer slip. On a side note, I've seen people with twist-locks really struggle when poles get icey/frozen, trying to break them loose. That's not a problem with flick-locks. You can adjust flick-locks with gloves on. That's a pain even when they aren't iced up with twist-locks.

Summit
11-29-2011, 10:03
poles are like water filters - people are told they are must haves. they are not, but they can come in handy when the going gets tough. saving the knees is debatable, saving a fall - sure, causing a fall - they can. i have found them less handy the more miles i do. ymmvRespecting your opinion, my mileage does vary. Through observation, most people barely use their poles as they were intended to be used. There are websites with videos on proper use. I see very few people following those techniques consistently.

Tinker
11-29-2011, 10:24
I have a set of old (6+ years) Leki "Health Trek" poles which I got at Sierra Trading Post for cheap (I think it was around $39.00). I have never, ever had a slippage problem. This may be the answer - My poles are heavy and have a thick wall section, so when the expanders press against them they don't flex. If the lighter poles have thinner walls it's possible that the walls give when the expanders press against them, and they don't lock as well. I've trusted my poles with nearly all the weight of my pack and myself in some pretty harrowing descents where I might have been better off using tree roots and trunks. You never know what tomorrow will bring, but my poles are the bomb and weigh like one.

Summit
11-29-2011, 10:40
I have a set of old (6+ years) Leki "Health Trek" poles which I got at Sierra Trading Post for cheap (I think it was around $39.00). I have never, ever had a slippage problem. This may be the answer - My poles are heavy and have a thick wall section, so when the expanders press against them they don't flex. If the lighter poles have thinner walls it's possible that the walls give when the expanders press against them, and they don't lock as well. I've trusted my poles with nearly all the weight of my pack and myself in some pretty harrowing descents where I might have been better off using tree roots and trunks. You never know what tomorrow will bring, but my poles are the bomb and weigh like one.Yeah, I'm not a fan of titanium poles either . . . besides what you say which could very well be the case, they just aren't sturdy enough. Bought an expensive pair and broke one on the first hike. Thankfully REI accepted the return and I bought their aluminum REI brand ones for a third of the price of the broken ones. Used them a couple of years, both backpacking and daily exercising. For last two years I've been using Black Diamond Trail Backs (flicklocks) for hiking and still use the REI poles for exercising. I've never broken a pole other than the titanium one. Titanium does not handle lateral stress nearly as well as aluminum, so I've read.

Kookork
11-30-2011, 00:03
My Pacer poles have the twist lock and they have never collapsed on me. I also carry a couple of small squares of grippy rubber for when they're twisted too tight to easily adjust.

Pacerpoles are the best IMO. Especially when you start a nordik hike technique Like the way they show in their website.

DBT fan
11-30-2011, 00:10
My Leki poles collapse all the time. Extremely annoying. Now when I am hiking, I occasionally tighten the poles while I walk. No need to break stride, just pick up a pole, grab the end, tighten it, and repeat with the other pole. Doesn't stop all collapses, but it helps a lot.

Like I said, annoying.

Sounds more dangerous than annoying. Yet to have that issue with the flint locks.

Kookork
11-30-2011, 00:10
Respecting your opinion, my mileage does vary. Through observation, most people barely use their poles as they were intended to be used. There are websites with videos on proper use. I see very few people following those techniques consistently..

I think because people dont know how effectice those techniques are in long term. I think the more we use the poles the more we start to find them effective.