PDA

View Full Version : Pot Gripper/Camping Oven Mitt

Ernest Snomin
11-28-2011, 13:38
My company is working on making a pot gripper made of neoprene that hikers can use with their handle-less pots on the A.T. It is small and fits over your first two fingers and allows you to pinch the gripper with your thumb on the opposite side.

This pot gripper is designed to be stored as a cover over the end of your spork when not in use so that it doubles as a pot gripper and a spork cover that protects your spork and the gear in your pack should you drop your pack and the spork's sharp end jabs into any of your gear.

Would anyone use something like this? Also, do you have any suggestions on this topic or this specific type of item? We want to only make gear that hikers will actually use and that serve multiple purposes.

Thanks!

FWB
11-28-2011, 13:44
Sounds almost identical to the MicroGripper from GSI - www.gsioutdoors.com. Except theirs is silicone and has a magnet embedded in it so you can stick it to your canister while you're cooking.

Ernest Snomin
11-28-2011, 14:09
FWB, thanks for posting! I agree that the concept is similar to the MicroGripper from GSI. I love GSI products and have a great deal of respect for what they do.

We hope to offer an alternative by using neoprene instead of silicone in order to get the weight down even more. Also, our design allows a hiker to store the gripper over the end of a spork (or spoon and fork combo) so that it doesn't get lost. Additionally, this storage method will protect gear such as tents, sleeping bags, rain jackets, stuff sacks, etc. that could get punctured or torn as a result of accidents, falls, contents settling inside the pack or any multitude of ways that gear gets damaged by sharp objects.

Do you have any suggestions or thoughts on this?

1azarus
11-28-2011, 19:32
i think it would be useful -- especially if you can get it to weigh less than the microgripper or the latest from Zelph -- i think he calls it a slap ring. i tried to make what you are describing by whittling away at a silicone automotive pipe, and never got it to be light enough to work for me. i wouldn't be surprised if you can do better than i did. i think it is an intelligent approach to the problem.

1azarus
11-28-2011, 19:34
oh. i should have said i think the spork feature is worthless... i'd just go for as light as possible but still keeps you from burning your fingers or melting your glove.

Ernest Snomin
11-30-2011, 19:36
Hi Lazarus! Thanks for the input. I agree; we need to do what we can to make it as light as possible, yet durable. The spork feature is kind of an after thought. We hoped to offer a good way to store it so that you don't lose it. The primary function will be safely grabbing a hot pot.

If you or anyone else have some thoughts or ideas to share on this topic, we sure would appreciate it.

Does anyone out there use any other type of gripper or pliers to grab their pot? What are some problems you've experienced?