PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 4 day Ga. hike

Studentpreacher
11-28-2011, 13:46
Newbie here from south Ga. I have been lurking all over this site and have found tons of great info and advise. Thanks to y'all I am broke but prepared and happy! I am trying to find a 4 day 3 night hike for me a few (newbie) friends in April. Any advise on a loop trail around Springer Mtn.? I don't know how logistically we would get the vehicle to a final destination if we didn't loop.

Slo-go'en
11-28-2011, 14:03
The AT isn't well suited for loop hikes. You'd have to do an in-out hike, that is hike out the same way you went in.

However, a good 4 day, 3 night hike would be from Springer to Neels Gap. From Neels, it is easy enough to arrange for a shuttle back to your car. The only problem is that streach of trail will be very busy with thru-hikers starting for most of April, therefore, you should all have tents.

generoll
11-28-2011, 14:11
Try the Standing Indian loop. This trail is just inside NC, but is well worth the trip and lets you start and end at your car without reference to a shuttle. Since money is an issue you're well advised to do a loop hike so as to not require a shuttle. This trail is about 22.5 miles and has fairly easy terrain, with some excellent views and the majority of it is on the AT. In April you'll have lots of company as the north bound herd will be all over that section. I do this hike at least once a year and did it 3 times this year.

Summit
11-28-2011, 14:40
+1 for the Standing Indian Loop. Search "Standing Indian" here for tons of info about directions to trailhead and everything else. No need to rehash it here. In addition to a beautiful piece of the AT, the Long Branch and Kimsey Creek side trails that complete the "loop" are beautiful as well. I usually spend first night about 2 miles up the Long Branch trail (couple hundred yards below where it joins the AT), the second night at Carter's Gap, and the third on the top of Standing Indian (alternative if bad weather or crowded is about 1 1/2 miles further, about 200 yds past Standing Indian Shelter at the old shelter campsite on the creek, or the shelter).

Studentpreacher
11-28-2011, 14:44
Thanks for the advise. I will look into standing indian. I think that would also be a good idea to avoid the masses of NOBO's