PDA

View Full Version : Planning a 2013 Documentary

jeremyds37
11-28-2011, 15:18
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to WhiteBlaze and I wanted to throw this out to you all, since you're the experts.
My wife and I are planning on a thru hike in 2013 when I get out of the Air Force. I'm planning on documenting our journey as a young, goofy, loving, married couple.
I've created a blog to get ideas rolling and post videos to get more practice filming/editing in the outdoors and on the trail.

Here's the blog, http://hitchedhike.blogspot.com/

Please give it a gander and let me know of anything that would help tell a better story. Things to focus on, and things to leave out.

Thanks!

jeremyds37
11-29-2011, 08:11
Thanks Jester!

Anyone interested in creating an on trail documentary should check this out: http://omails.blogspot.com/. Jester offers up some great advice to conciser for planning and undertaking this challenge.

takethisbread
11-30-2011, 07:05
My advice is to do 500 trail miles on the AT including one 150 mile trip. This forum is filled with aspiring documentarians, record setters, and book writers who don't end up succeeding, and I think the reason might be they are not Hikers first. Get the hiking down first. I think that the reason Jester made a good film as opposed to the hundred or so cats that started out with the intention of making a film, but never really did, was He knew what he was in for. He's a experienced thruhiker. If you invest your money and time into the film end of this I'd sure make sure you can deal with living outside for two rainy weeks, never mind 6 months. These are issues you and your lady have already conquered, and congrats if that's the case. Good luck and I look forward to watching your film.

Colter
11-30-2011, 09:23
Takethisbread has some good points, I'm sure Jester did too.

Look into the film permit issue. Public lands sometimes require them.

I'd recommed getting lots of people footage. Good times and bad. It's tough to film, and be filmed, when things are going poorly but it's human and interesting.

Great scenery is important, but telling the story as a whole is even more important. Don't forget shelter scenes, campfires, shopping, Post Offices, hitching, laundry, cooking, hard climbs, trail magic, drying out, etc.

Take lots of footage. You won't use most of it but you can't use what you don't have. Record ambient sounds: wind, rain, running water.

Go for variety. People don't want to see countless zoomed shots up and down the trail. Takes shots of your feet splashing through the water, high angle shots, low angle shots, wildlife, nice days, rainy days.

Good luck!

Awol2003
11-30-2011, 17:54
Watch Colter's "Alone Across Alaska," it's one of the best.

Steady your camera and work with it mounted whenever possible.

Slo-go'en
11-30-2011, 18:15
Look into the film permit issue. Public lands sometimes require them.

I can see the need for a permit if one is doing a big production and will be in an area for sometime with a crew, but for a hiker just passing through with a video camara in hand, it really can't be an issue.But I suppose you really should find out what the actual regulations are on this, as it is always possible someone wanting to assert thier authority will make an issue of it.

Jeff
11-30-2011, 18:52
Mark Flagler aka Carolina Cruiser did an outstanding documentary during the 2003 hiker season. I would seek him out and get his views on this subject. Here is his website: www.FlaglerFilms.com

I would also find Lion King and pick his brain. His AT film is also first class with a fantastic music soundtrack too. You can PM him here on Whiteblaze.

jeremyds37
11-30-2011, 19:15
- takethisbread, I've put a lot of thought into this aspect of it. I don't have the experience of a seasoned thru-hiker or a film maker. I'm hoping to capture the transition of our minds, bodies, attitudes, feelings, and relationship as we take on this challenge together. We've been planning for this for years, and have gone on as many long hikes as I can take leave for. We love every dreary moment we're out there. Jester points out that filming a serious documentary is and can feel like a job out there. I hadn't though about that, but I also don't consider filming to be a huge hassle.
Thanks for your input!

- Colter, I'll look into the public land issue. I'm definately going to film those rough moments and amazing moments, it's life. I want to stay as far away from a "journal film" as possible and make it a story that's true to the AT and and our journey as a couple. That includes everything. I will be taking tons of footage. Hopefully not too much, but I'm afraid to leave anything out. (I will be carrying 8x32gb SDcards in a Pelican910 waterproof case. approx 120 hours of HD footage) I will also be using a lot of that for personal use. We are using the camera as our personal trail journal, which may be used in parts of the film. Oh, and I love getting cool angles and different moods. I will not, NOT, make a film that looks the same throughout.
Thanks for the great advice, Colter! I'll have to order your film, looks awesome!

- AWOL, I'll check out Colter's, Alone Across Alaska. It looks pretty amazing!
Thanks for the solid advice. I'll be using my Gorillapod a lot.

- Slo-go'en, I will be checking into this. Thank you.

- Jeff, I'll try and pick their brains. Thanks!

Jeff
12-01-2011, 08:08
Just remembered another unique webisode/documentary out there: http://journeyofdreams.com/

Colter
12-01-2011, 12:14
I can see the need for a permit if one is doing a big production and will be in an area for sometime with a crew, but for a hiker just passing through with a video camara in hand, it really can't be an issue.

That's what common sense would seem to say. I know there are people who have made films like that without a permit and haven't had an problems, but others have. I have had to get a permit for one guy, one camera. Other agencies didn't seem to care.

jeremyds37
12-01-2011, 19:23
I found this on the Bureau of Land Management site:

"Casual use activities which normally involve noncommercial still photography or recreational videotaping would not require a permit or fees. Casual use means noncommercial activities occurring on an occasional or irregular basis that ordinarily result in little or no impact to public lands, resources, or improvements."

I think my little TX10 and GoPro should go hassle free while I'm hiking. Especially since I'll be constantly moving on. Plus, I'll have the advantage of my smooth talkin' wife in case someone does have an issue. :)

Colter
12-02-2011, 08:15
[QUOTE=jeremyds37;1223582]...Casual use means noncommercial activities...QUOTE]

That's the key phrase according to some sticklers. I was told I would have gotten fined had I not gotten a permit. It was fairly easy and inexpensive to get one although I think it is ridiculous to even have to think about for a hiker vs a filming crew.

jeremyds37
12-02-2011, 10:22
I came across this today, http://www.nps.gov/applications/digest/permits.cfm?urlarea=permits. It looks like the easiest, freest, thing I can do.

Here's an old AT filming permit application form I found. http://www.nps.gov/appa/parkmgmt/upload/10-932%20filming%20long.pdf. I'll need to contact them to get a new application.
The only discrepency is that the old form say $100 and new the website is broken down by size of production (which I think is smart). Besides, 1-2 people = $0/day... I like that! :)

Hoofit
12-02-2011, 11:29
A group of fellow hikers made a movie from their 2010 hike, "Beauty beneath the dirt".
It will be shown in the Spring at the annual Damascus hiker frenzy.

jeremyds37
01-06-2012, 21:30
Just out of curiosity, what video editing programs do you guys use?

I'm currently using Magix Movie Edit Pro 17. It's pretty versatile, but it's not the best. I plan on eventually updating to Adobe Premier and After Effects, but I'm a bit worried that it will take me a while to learn how to use them effectively/efficiently. Plus, it costs a lot. Even with the student/teach discount, it's still $430 right now.