PDA

View Full Version : Cash Resupply On Trail

joedannajr
11-28-2011, 16:20
I'm still in the dreaming phase for a possible 2014 Thru and I was just wondering how folks resupply their cash while on trail?
Thanks

bigcranky
11-28-2011, 16:24
Get cash back on my debit card while I am in the grocery store getting my resupply. Saves ATM fees.

The Solemates
11-28-2011, 16:33
maybe not the smartest idea, but we mailed ourselves cash, but then again we did maildrops and most people dont do those.

Stir Fry
11-28-2011, 16:44
I think what BIGCRANKY said is the most common. I have only done long sections so far and plan a 2014 thru also. Most hostals that required cash are willing to take you to get it. I usualy have a little cash. Usualy leave my change as part of a tip in the last place I eat or stay.

SCRUB HIKER
11-28-2011, 18:07
Get cash back on my debit card while I am in the grocery store getting my resupply. Saves ATM fees.

Ditto. The only time I ran into a problem with this was at the Price Chopper in Great Barrington, Mass. They charged a fee for cash-back, which is a pretty outrageous policy.

Echraide
11-28-2011, 21:53
I got a separate debit card just for my thru and had family transfer a small amount onto it each month. I used it for groceries, motel stays, and the post office. If the card had been lost or stolen, or became a victim of identity theft (none of which happened, btw), I would only lose a small amount of money and it wouldn't be a hike-stopper.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2011, 22:02
Big Cranky - Yo da Man!

Blissful
11-28-2011, 23:20
Cash, debit card, and credit card. I used the debit card quite a bit.

Lion King
11-29-2011, 13:37
I mailed myself 40-80$ in travelers checks to various towns along the way. that way Id have enough for a good meal or two and resupply and laundry and the towns I knew I wanted a zero, enough for a hostel or hotel.

no credit cards or mail drops made it a lot cheaper, but that was the 1st hike, later hikes I used cards and that was wasteful because I knew I ddnt have to pay it till later. dangerous

double d
11-29-2011, 16:14
Yep, Bigcranky beat me to it-get cash back in the grocery store-lots of headaches go away (like finding an atm and their bs high fees).

Don H
11-29-2011, 16:30
Cash back from the grocery store or ATM. I never paid a fee for cash back. I used a credit card whenever possible so I didn't need too much cash. Places you will need cash are in the Whites and in Maine. Some of the hostels are cash only in ME and the huts only take cash for candy bars, cake, etc. I had a hard time finding a working ATM in Maine. All three in Stratton were down when I was there so don't put yourself in the position of depending on an ATM the guidebook says is in the next town.

Spokes
11-29-2011, 16:58
Dont forget cash back at most Post Offices too (up to $50). Carry more cash in the New England states since it can be hard to find an ATM there.

Don H
11-30-2011, 19:36
All the P.O.s I stopped at only did cash back if you use a debit card which didn't work for me since I was using a credit card.

Spokes
11-30-2011, 19:40
Yep, gotta use a debit card at the PO's and then some of the smaller ones have limited cash on hand.

Still a good option in a pinch for most thru's.....

garlic08
12-01-2011, 11:17
I think I might be the last person in the world without a debit card. For some reason, I've found a way to live my life without one (and when the banks started talking about adding the fee last month, I was probably the only person in the world who didn't care.) I use a credit card for most trail transactions, and carry a couple hundred dollars cash, enough for a few months. When I've run out, I've always been able to plan it to be in a larger town (Hanover, NH on the AT), and been able to find my own bank's ATM machine. I never pay bank fees.

Migrating Bird
12-01-2011, 19:07
Ditto. The only time I ran into a problem with this was at the Price Chopper in Great Barrington, Mass. They charged a fee for cash-back, which is a pretty outrageous policy.

I second what SH said. The Big Y south of town is a better grocery store IMO also hardware store in the same plaza and bank. I made the mistake of getting cash back at PC, won't make that mistake again. But PC is just south of the Gt. Barrington Brewery.

Don H
12-02-2011, 11:42
Dollar General always did cash back, used them several times.

trainhopper
12-03-2011, 02:44
For emergency situations I always carry 2 ounces of silver in my pack. That way if I lost my wallet, I had about $65 I could trade in at a town. Not a resupply, but I thought it was something to share that might be useful.