PDA

View Full Version : SMD Skyscape Scout

sweetpeastu
11-28-2011, 18:02
Hi i'm looking at the Six Moon Design Skyscape Scout tent. I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences with this tent. Also, has anyone purchased the front porch option? Thanks!

Mike2012
11-28-2011, 19:04
Hi i'm looking at the Six Moon Design Skyscape Scout tent. I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experiences with this tent. Also, has anyone purchased the front porch option? Thanks!

I'm looking at that one too but wonder if the sidewalls go up enough to keep blowing rain out.

sweetpeastu
11-28-2011, 20:51
You mean if its raining so hard you get spray underneath the rain fly? I've been in some pretty heavy rain and never had any spray under my rain fly....on the other hand, my current tent has bathtub floors soooo....

Ron posted this on his website: http://sixmoondesigns.com/blog/72-bathtub-floors.html

So it appears that it comes down to site selection. For the most part I try to find site that won't become lakes when it rains...mainly b/c my tent is getting older and water comes up through the floor now (when it never used to).....on the other hand, I've set up at dusk and made a few bad decisions in site selection and my bathtub floor (when the tent was newer) saved me...

sir limpsalot
11-28-2011, 22:28
I have the trekker version of skyscape and love it. I have seen some blowing water hit this tent for hours with no problems...there are ways to pitch it down for better protection. Keep in mind this is a lightweight option with extra care being required....you want no-effort protection, buy a hubba or copper spur. The porch option- lame: way too complicated vs the wedge option of lightheart gear and too heavy for what it does.

sweetpeastu
11-28-2011, 23:30
Hey Sir Limpsalot, thanks for your comments. So what all can you tell me about your tent. Can you set it up in odd spots or does it really need to be set up in fairly level places? I have a no-effort protection tent...I'd really like to try a lightweight. Any pointers you could give or ...if you have any pros and cons on the tent itself, that'd be helpful! ;) Thanks.

Tinker
11-29-2011, 00:21
If a tent like this: http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&section=1185&section2=1261&section3=1420&ID=1241
could be made in silnylon or cuben fiber with aluminum poles and a fly that could be used as a poncho that would give the tent a good sized vestibule, would it be of any interest to anyone here?

I have an idea that I'm talking over with a small cottage industry tent maker to work together on a small, light shelter that would fit into small sites, set up quickly, weigh very little, be more storm worthy than many tents of similar weight, and have that nifty removeable rainfly/poncho.

Sound interesting to anyone?

Feedback?

Mike2012
11-29-2011, 01:32
You mean if its raining so hard you get spray underneath the rain fly? I've been in some pretty heavy rain and never had any spray under my rain fly....on the other hand, my current tent has bathtub floors soooo....

Ron posted this on his website: http://sixmoondesigns.com/blog/72-bathtub-floors.html

So it appears that it comes down to site selection. For the most part I try to find site that won't become lakes when it rains...mainly b/c my tent is getting older and water comes up through the floor now (when it never used to).....on the other hand, I've set up at dusk and made a few bad decisions in site selection and my bathtub floor (when the tent was newer) saved me...

Thanks for the link that was good background and history. I've never had a tent with so much screen which was my concern. I want/ need the screen for the bugs at night and I also want to stay dry if for no other reason than to avoid carrying extra water weight the next day. This tent looks like a good compromise between weight and cost without sacrificing quality. Still a few months out and I already have a 5 pound tent for tooling around and some shakedown warm ups.

sweetpeastu
11-29-2011, 01:38
I'm a little worried about head room and condensation...but I really wanted a new lighter tent....too many choices. Everything seems to have drawbacks. This link might be helpful too: http://sticksblog.com/2011/07/09/first-look-six-moon-designs-skyscape-trekker/

stranger
11-29-2011, 01:59
These tents are missing the mark in my opinion. I think if you want this design look at the Lightheart Gear tents, higher hydrostatic head of 3500mm on the silnylon. I saw the video review for the Trekker and the fly was right against the netting by the head of the tent, this is going to mean drips on your head while you sleep, I do like that they box off the foot for more usuable floorspace, a drawback to the Lightheart Solo, but I would still go with LHG over SMD with this particular design.

stranger
11-29-2011, 02:00
Check out the Tarptent Notch...just came out - looking good to me!

yotarunner77
11-29-2011, 03:56
Wow I was just loving on post a question about this same tent and here is your post right at the top of the list...I think its a sign that this tent is for me lol...but anyway I was planning on buying the six moon designs skyscape trekker and was wondering on your opinion on taking this tent or any style of tarp tent on my thru hike starting march 5th. I have always used a standard one person and two person tent and wanted to save some weight and get a tarp tent. My main concern is how well it stands up to snow, weight wise and if it blows up under the tarp. The other thing is how well does it hold in the body heat with it being open all around the bottom of the fly.

Tinker
11-29-2011, 08:28
This post is awesome..i've been reading tons of crap posts from other blogs, but shows you have a more educated reader base.

You're TOO kind........

No, I mean it!

That will change, though, and then you'll fit right in. :D

scissor
11-29-2011, 15:46
I have one and for the money it is hard to beat IMO. I live in the humid southeast and will be using it as a 4 season do it all backpacking tent.

why it suits me...
1)simple
2) LOW cost
3) functional
4) can go anywhere
5) very packable because of no poles.. (the most underrated aspect of a tent IMO)
5) lightweight enough... to me anything sub 3 and I can't tell much of a difference
6) seems to be durable... but hey if it isn't I can buy 3 new ones for the cost of a silnylon