PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for my girlfriend

JonathanJ
11-28-2011, 19:34
I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend. She's looking for a lightweight backpack that would fit her small frame, she's 4'9''. Anyone have any recommendations or ideas? She's currently an REI Venus pack, 70L, and it bruises her hips quite badly.

gumball
11-28-2011, 20:42
Everyone's body will wear a pack a little differently, depending on one's build and weight. You don't give any specifics, but I have had good luck with Osprey packs and, for very nice ultralight gear, try Granite Gear Ki Series. Really, a good pack is one she is comfortable with knowing how to pack and, most importantly, how it fits her. Sometimes bruising the hips is caused by too much weight, weight spread poorly in the pack or bony hips. She could be putting too much weight on the hips and not have things adjust appropriately. It is helpful to have someone who is knowledgeable about fitting a pack help her out. Its never really going to be "comfy"...but it doesn't have to hurt.

One Half
11-28-2011, 21:07
I'm posting on behalf of my girlfriend. She's looking for a lightweight backpack that would fit her small frame, she's 4'9''. Anyone have any recommendations or ideas? She's currently an REI Venus pack, 70L, and it bruises her hips quite badly.

That sounds like a huge pack for someone that size. I am 5'3" and use the REI Flash 50. Also, what is her total pack weight when loaded up with food and water included? I really like it and do solo hikes with it. I have also made some changes so I can carry less weight all around. I bought a Big Agnes Flycreek (under 2lbs packed), got a new sleeping pad (cut a pound there), switched to an esbit stove, and hopefully will be getting a Ti pot for Christmas!

bigcranky
11-28-2011, 22:11
My wife has used a lot of different packs. She currently has an Osprey Ariel 55. Osprey does a good job with the suspension on women's packs, but of course it has to fit right from the start. The Ariel series has several different pack sizes and hip belt sizes, and the belt is custom moulded in the shop. That pack is still pretty traditional, though, and weighs close to 4 pounds.

The best pack will depend a lot on what she carries. If she has a very light load, perhaps a ULA Circuit in the smallest size, with the S-curved should harness and the smallest hip belt will work? You might contact ULA and ask. The Circuit is a great pack (I have two!!) for hikers with a 15-20 pound base weight.

bigcranky
11-28-2011, 22:12
Also, hip bruising may come from the load she's carrying, not just the pack. What sort of total weight is in that Venus?

JonathanJ
11-28-2011, 23:14
Thanks for all the responses folks. She weighs about 110 pounds. Her pack weight for her most recent trip was about 35 lbs. She's also working on lightening her load.

She thinks she's loading her pack correctly, but any tips for her would be welcome.

I'm going to look into those pack recommendations.

Blissful
11-28-2011, 23:18
Bruised hips can happen sometimes. I find it goes away after a few days of being on the trail. But she should be fitted properly at a reputable outfitter (height does not equate torso length which can be very different). And reduce her pack weight (35 lbs is fairly heavy). Sounds like her pack is also way too big and cumbersome.

Feral Bill
11-29-2011, 00:45
Your girlfriend is a bit over 1/2 my weight. I wouldn't carry 70 pounds on a bet. She shouldn't be carrying 35. I expect the weight and an ill fitting pack are the source of her woes.
I see you are in Washington. There are decent outfitters in many cities. See one (or a few) and have a trained pack fitter help her out. This is a solvable problem.

skinewmexico
11-29-2011, 00:46
Gossamer Gear has the Mariposa Plus on sale. Then start cutting her weight to a reasonable amount.

RockyRoo
11-29-2011, 15:03
How is she packing her pack? I had the same problem and it was basically because I was putting all the heavy stuff at the bottom of my pack. Try putting the weight around shoulder blade area and the should stop bruising. Also, I hate to admit it, but at times us littlies do need to rely on someone else to take more of the load - my fiance carries a lot more than me because I simply cannot carry so much weight (I'm 5'1"/48 KGs).

Del Q
11-29-2011, 21:38
I think that 110 lbs is too light for the AT, she needs to pack on some pounds. My left leg weighs that!

Lighter load maybe, agree on % of body weight, check out Hyperlite Mountain Gear, new cuben fiber packs are killer and are super comfy.

JonathanJ
11-30-2011, 13:11
Yea, she does load the the heavier weight higher and not in the bottom of the pack, and when we're backpacking together I try to carry as much as I can fit from her things, she especially needs to pack less. Thanks again for the pack recommendations. I want to start making my own packs but making my first one on her might not be a good idea.

She is physically capable, we both just worked for a year on a trails crew at a national park, which is a lot of work.

theinfamousj
12-02-2011, 01:44
Everyone's body will wear a pack a little differently, depending on one's build and weight. You don't give any specifics, but I have had good luck with Osprey packs

I'm 5'2" and also take a small in REI Venus. In fact, I take a small in just about every pack ever made. The Venus absolutely killed my hips and bruised my lumbar region. A point of clarification for the others, though, the 70L capacity is for M and L. A small Venus has a slightly smaller 60L, IIRC, capacity.

That out of the way, I found my best fitting pack was actually a man's pack. Sure, there are all these arguments about women's shoulders and women's hip belts, but when dealing with a small torso frame, I found that what manufacturers expect out of a man fits best to my shoulders and hips. I have wide hips compared to my waist, but not as wide hips as a woman who does not fit into children's jeans. Thus: men's gear. My best pack is an Osprey Atomos which is still in the 60L range but the harness is delicious and no one ever said you actually have to pack the pack to its fullest potential.

hikergurl
12-02-2011, 14:39
Would it be possible to post an approximate gear list for what all she carries? A different pack is only just part of the process to going lighter. If you're already carrying part of the total gear needed for either/both of you, I have to wonder what all it is that you actually bring. That said, I'm also quite short but a Gregory Jade 50 in a small fits pretty comfortably for me (although, the hip belt barely fits me).

Yea, she does load the the heavier weight higher and not in the bottom of the pack, and when we're backpacking together I try to carry as much as I can fit from her things, she especially needs to pack less. Thanks again for the pack recommendations. I want to start making my own packs but making my first one on her might not be a good idea.

She is physically capable, we both just worked for a year on a trails crew at a national park, which is a lot of work.

AndyB
12-05-2011, 12:27
My wife carried a Gregory, I don't remember which model but it was specific for women. She didn't have any problems even with heavy(ish) loads. Getting weight down is always a good idea. A pack with "over built" suspension is another place to look,imo. Not everyone is ready to hit the woods with pounds on their back.

AndyB
12-05-2011, 12:28
oops that was supposes to say "Not everyone is ready to hit the woods with 10 pounds on their back."

Erin
12-16-2011, 23:12
What is her gear list? I am five one and heavier and carried 35lbs plus once and was miserable. AT section hike. If she can shave some weight off the load it will make the difference between a great hike and a not so fun hike.
I hike with big people. My friends are seven inches to a foot taller. I know they can carry more weight than I can and I can't pawn off my load. I have learned to improvise without buying a ton of new stuff. I was carrying way too much clothing and way too much food. Everyone is different, but lay out her gear with someone you respect and comb thru it. Thru hikers helped me figure it out. I still have to deal with my base stuff since it is heavy until it wears out and I replace it, but I am learning and it does make a difference. Your GF is apparently very fit and tiny, but she can lighten her load.

G.G.
12-16-2011, 23:37
I'll be a black sheep and recommend the Gregory too. Seems they've been around too long and get shelved by many.

WildFireKNits
12-17-2011, 21:31
Have you looked at the starlite by sixmoons designs? It's ultralight and frameless with optional stays. I use it and am quite happy with it. I'm taller (5'8") but I weigh 110 so I appreciate not being able to carry a heavy load. I think you can get a variety of strap lengths so it accomadates people who are petite. The pack has a padded hip belt, but it's rather lightly padded. I have had less problems with bruising and chafing with it though than my gregory by keeping pack weight down. The pack itself weighs around 24 oz.

You cant carry much weight in an ultralight pack, but she probably shouldnt carry too much weight hiking anyway. I carried 43-45 pounds once and was miserable doing a few 8 to 10 mile days. . .

Chaco Taco
12-18-2011, 23:43
My wife is small and we got her a Granite Gear Vapor Ki and she loves it. Its a light pack and has great padding all around. I have the Vapor Trail and love it as well. Big fans of Granite Gear and have tried the ULA and 6moon and what not and always have come back to Granite Gear.

hikergurl
12-22-2011, 16:19
I also tried the Vapor Ki. It was a toss up between the two. The only difference between that pack and the Jade 50 I have is that the Jade felt marginally more comfortable and moved with me more closely than the Vapor, if that makes any sense. I'm still curious about the gear list though, I'd like to compare it to mine.

Turner
12-28-2011, 22:32
YES!! I have the same problem! I have an Osprey Aura 50 and I just returned it because it rubs my shoulder... In January Osprey is coming out with a woman's adjustable frame and hip strap. I've tried on the demo medium and need a small but it's the best fit yet. Hold out till January and try it on!

PinkRaven
01-27-2012, 07:21
I like to carry a little bit of memory foam (like by destroying a pillow), to pad the places where I bruise (hips and shoulders). I'm 5'8"/105 pounds, so I bruise pretty easily. I find the the heavy duty packs with the best suspension are the best packs for me. I like the Gregory Petit Dru Pro size Small.
PinkRaven

skinewmexico
01-27-2012, 13:02
Wow. I can't imagine being bruised by a pack. How much are you carrying? At your weight, you really shouldn't be over 25#, and that's a stretch.

Zipper
01-27-2012, 17:58
I'm 115, 5'6", started with a 6 moon designs Starlight, but couldn't get it to be really comfortable for me. After about 500 miles switched to the ULA Catalyst and I love that pack. I like having a pack with a lower profile (lower than an Osprey, for example) behind my head so my ponytail is not whacking the pack. Also love the giant pockets in the ULA. Bigger than an Osprey and I could fit camera, phone and several candy bars in the pockets - I loved having all of that stuff easy access.

I remember having hip bruising when I was younger and even skinnier, and having to wear a sweatshirt around my waist for padding and because I couldn't get the hip belt to be tight enough - back in the olden days before there were so many sizes available!

Good luck!

guss
02-13-2012, 14:56
take a look at ula packs , my girlfriend uses one and she loves it

takethisbread
02-13-2012, 16:28
I bought My wife the REI Crestrail 70 which i got for $69 on clearance. If she not a big hiker or a beginner start her off with a small investment/clearance pack, and work from there what she likes. You jump into expensive packs like ULA and Go Lite after you have a clear idea of what fits best and what features are most important. The midrange packs REI/Osprey ect, are high quality and if you shop the clearance rack can run well under $100.

Sassafras Lass
02-13-2012, 17:22
take a look at ula packs , my girlfriend uses one and she loves it

Ditto. Tried on nearly 2 dozen packs, hiked a few hundred miles in something that didn't fit me quite right, and now have the ULA Circuit and LOVE it. Plus 100% American!

Paisley1985
02-26-2012, 10:10
I've dealt with hip bruising / rubbing too ( 5'5" - 110#) mostly because I am super narrow. 1) How is she WEARING her pack? If it doesn't sit on her natural waist - ie too low it will def. rub her hips. 2) Just like everyone else has said - less weight. If you two hike together, try to find a fair way to distribute weight proportionally between you 3) Again, ditto on getting a pro to fit the pack for her. I use a Deuter ACT Lite 60/10, it has a super adjustable back - which allowed me to shorten the space between the hip belt and shoulders - getting the pack up off my hipbones. I have some issues with the hip belt barely being able to tighten down enough over my waist which is something I'm trying to fix with a little padding.

Good luck! I know how much it sucks to have your pack rub open sores into your hips - it's a must-fix problem!