PDA

View Full Version : YoYo

kayaker4ever
11-28-2011, 19:36
Is there any record of people that have YoYoed the trail? Are there any on this site that have done a YoYo?:banana

The Cleaner
11-28-2011, 21:02
I met a SOBO hiker in the spring of the mid 80's just north of Hot Springs.Later that year I was biking through Allen Gap and met the same hiker YO-YO aka Steve Knucols(sic) was his trail name,heading NOBO.I heard he made 3 thrus in a row.Maybe some other WBer has more info...

Lone Wolf
11-28-2011, 21:11
Is there any record of people that have YoYoed the trail? Are there any on this site that have done a YoYo?:bananathere's been a few in the last 30 years

kayaker4ever
11-28-2011, 21:24
I am curious because I just finished the first of two books by two young sisters that did it barefoot back in 2000/2001. I never gave it a thought before.

stranger
11-29-2011, 02:10
Ward Leonard did the double yo-yo (3 thru-hikes in all) including his unsupported record of 60 days in 1990.

Pages
11-29-2011, 06:35
I am curious because I just finished the first of two books by two young sisters that did it barefoot back in 2000/2001. I never gave it a thought before.

isis and jackrabbit wrote two of the best books i've read on a thru-hiker's experience. i enjoyed both books thoroughly.

TV

rhjanes
11-29-2011, 10:51
Barefoot sisters books are good, I liked the SB (first) better)

Splitting hairs. The sisters did a Yo-yo, but over two years and with a break for the winter. I forget, but I think they "holed up" in the south for a month or three before heading back to Maine.

There are then people who have done a yo-yo in ONE year (Ward and maybe others). NOBO, turn around at Katahdin and walk back SOBO to your car... Or SOBO, turn around at Springer and then NOBO back to your car in Maine. all in one year.

-Ghost-
11-30-2011, 00:17
In my opinion I would consider an AT Thru Hike and then moving on to another long trail, CDT or PCT. The AT is fantastic for sure, but there is a lot more to be seen out there! =)

Mags
11-30-2011, 14:40
I do the CTF Yo Yo almost every day.

(Couch to Fridge)

CrumbSnatcher
11-30-2011, 14:54
i have always been interested in a yo-yo of the AT
haven't given up on that dream just yet.
most might not? but i would go GA-ME-GA
weather wise, it would probably be easier too?

garlic08
11-30-2011, 15:27
i have always been interested in a yo-yo of the AT
haven't given up on that dream just yet.
most might not? but i would go GA-ME-GA
weather wise, it would probably be easier too?

Same here. When I finished my NOBO AT thru in mid-July (took 3.5 months), it was fun to think of turning around and hiking back to GA. There was enough season left to do it by Thanksgiving, and I still felt physically strong enough, barely. But 4400 miles in one season is a lot of hiking, even if you really love hiking. Just too much for me, I finally realized. I admire those who have done it, but it takes a different kind of person. For a dedicated, experienced hiker, GAMEGA is definitely doable. I can't see how one could do MEGAME in one season.

In answer to the OP, it does not appear as though there is a record of yo-yos, nor has anyone on this site done it. Just some wanna-bes like me. But many powerhouse hikers do not report their accomplishments to anyone. And many "real" hikers do not participate in this forum. You might be able to call the ATC in Harper's Ferry or comb their records on line.

kayaker4ever
12-06-2011, 22:49
Barefoot sisters books are good, I liked the SB (first) better)

Splitting hairs. The sisters did a Yo-yo, but over two years and with a break for the winter. I forget, but I think they "holed up" in the south for a month or three before heading back to Maine.

There are then people who have done a yo-yo in ONE year (Ward and maybe others). NOBO, turn around at Katahdin and walk back SOBO to your car... Or SOBO, turn around at Springer and then NOBO back to your car in Maine. all in one year.

Wrong! The sisters hiked THROUGH the winter and only took a few days off between sobo and nobo. They started in Maine in June 2000 and got back to Maine Oct 3, 2001. So they took a year and 3 months.

rhjanes
12-07-2011, 11:31
Wrong! The sisters hiked THROUGH the winter and only took a few days off between sobo and nobo. They started in Maine in June 2000 and got back to Maine Oct 3, 2001. So they took a year and 3 months.OK. Been a few years since I read those books. I do remember the write up of going over the southern balds in snow/blizzard conditions! I was thinking they didn't start back NOBO until Feb or March, having arrived at Springer in December? But like I said, I've not read the books in years?