PDA

View Full Version : how long do straps really need to be?

AndyB
11-29-2011, 09:17
I bought a new pack this summer and the compression straps are a tad excessive. I can't imagine even being to fill a pack that much. How do you go about deciding how long they really need to be? Do you resew them or melt the edges after they get trimmed up? Or am I better off trusting the manufacturer and just tuck them in?

Andy

Tinker
11-29-2011, 09:21
Use the pack for an entire year to see how much of the straps you will need. You can cut them with scissors and melt the raw edge with a lighter flame (or double them over and sew them if there's a possibility that they might come through the buckles). Just make sure that you still leave enough of the strap to get a good grip on or you won't be compressing the pack very easily once you fill it.

Btw: Have you cut your shoe laces yet? ;)

TyTy
11-29-2011, 11:18
I have wondered the same thing. I recently bought a GoLite Pinnacle and the compression straps are maybe 8" longer than the absolute widest the pack could ever be. At first I thought 'I'm gonna lop those suckers off first chance I get' but then I think 'wonder why they are so long? Am I missing something?'

The only thing I can think is the extra length could be if you strap a lot of stuff outside your pack.

Tinker
11-30-2011, 14:12
I have wondered the same thing. I recently bought a GoLite Pinnacle and the compression straps are maybe 8" longer than the absolute widest the pack could ever be. At first I thought 'I'm gonna lop those suckers off first chance I get' but then I think 'wonder why they are so long? Am I missing something?'

The only thing I can think is the extra length could be if you strap a lot of stuff outside your pack.

Bingo! That's another thing that should probably take some time to figure out. (Knowing how much you'll strap to the outside, that is).

HiKen2011
11-30-2011, 14:29
Bingo! That's another thing that should probably take some time to figure out. (Knowing how much you'll strap to the outside, that is).

True, but my goal is to have everything inside, not to have stuff dangling on the outside of my pack. Just me

TyTy
11-30-2011, 14:44
True, but my goal is to have everything inside, not to have stuff dangling on the outside of my pack. Just me

Yup. I don't like having a bunch of stuff outside my pack but I could see using it to keep a jacket handy or strap a foam pad on the outside of the bag maybe, stuff like that.

Smooth & Wasabi
11-30-2011, 17:08
I often err on the side of caution in not cutting things off my packs. I find myself saying I will occasionally use that and how much weight will it really save. I also pack all my gear in my packs and prefer it practically and ascetically. The exception is of course winter trips. While my winter trips have been few and far between lately I have had the need to pack my foam pad on the outside as well as skis, snowshoes, axe, and or crampons. I have a pinnacle and the reason the straps are so long is that they are designed to connect to the far sides compression straps providing the ability to strap something like snowshoes to the pack of the pack.

stranger
11-30-2011, 17:20
It depends on how you intend to use the pack, if you plan on putting things outside your pack, this is more relevant than if you intend to keep everything inside. I keep my compression straps trimmed cause I never put anything outside...in any event, cut off 'half' of what you think you should and reassess before cutting them further, don't want to end up with a strap that is too short, melt the edges with a hotknife or lighter, the torch lighters work the best.

Tinker
11-30-2011, 18:07

If you ever saw me hike you'd know that it wasn't just you. Occasionally I put something under the straps of my pack that I hardly ever carry, mostly crampons in a heavy Cordura bag, or an extra ccf pad for winter use, but you'll rarely see anything hanging off of my pack besides a water bottle holder. :)