PDA

View Full Version : Keeping stuff from getting crushed

hikerjohnd
03-06-2005, 19:33
How do you keep stuff from getting crushed in your pack? In the past Ihave used hard sided food containers, but for a thru hike that does not seem feasible. So how do you keep your pop tarts intact and crackers whole? :-?

Red Hat
03-06-2005, 20:04
My poptarts are almost always crumbs when I eat them. Tortillas stay okay though.... And Little Debbie Brownies still taste good when they are slightly crushed.

RagingHampster
03-06-2005, 21:20
In a traditional top-loader type pack, try keeping food at the top, or just under your raincoat. It will still get beat-up some though. When it does, just pour it all in one bag and have at it! :p

BookBurner
03-07-2005, 09:23
PopTarts are staples on all of my trips. They're heavy but so tasty! I keep them totally intact for several days by keeping them in the box. As soon as I eat the first pair I then put a small ziploc in the box and partially inflate it. This keeps the Poptarts from banging around and the box from collapsing. As I decrease the number of the Poptarts each day, I increase the size of the ziploc with a few breaths of fresh air. This method adds a little weight and volume to your pack but it saves you from eating tart dust every morning!

--BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Peaks
03-07-2005, 11:12
Good question.

I think that part of the answer is to look for food that can stand the beating. Bring along bagels instead of bread. Bring along tortillas and flat bread instead of other breads.

If you like poptarts, then keep them in the cardboard box.

Bjorkin
03-07-2005, 12:33
PopTarts are staples on all of my trips. They're heavy but so tasty! I keep them totally intact for several days by keeping them in the box. As soon as I eat the first pair I then put a small ziploc in the box and partially inflate it. This keeps the Poptarts from banging around and the box from collapsing. As I decrease the number of the Poptarts each day, I increase the size of the ziploc with a few breaths of fresh air. This method adds a little weight and volume to your pack but it saves you from eating tart dust every morning!

--BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Maybe you could lose the box and bag the tarts with the air instead. Same purpose, one less item.

Brushy Sage
03-07-2005, 17:48
I routinely take food out of boxes and put it in baggies. This makes for easier packing, and the air cushion in the baggies helps protect the food.

cupcake
03-09-2005, 09:17
i met a hiker last season that kept her poptarts in a plastic container --- the plastic box for a vhs video. it's just the right proportion.

oldfivetango
03-09-2005, 16:39
What about Ritz Crackers?
So far the only idea i've come up with is to use a lightweight food saver
or better yet,save a pringles potato chip tube possibly reinforced with a
spiralling roll of duct tape for structural integrity.
I like the idea of inflating a ziploc for the poptarts if it holds air ok btw.
Ideas like these are what i come here for anyway.(Not to engage certain
boors about what macho marksmen/martial arts masters they are and why they intend to pack heat in the hiking community btw.)
Also,any other useful camping tips would be nice.Somebody mentioned the
vegetable net bag for a scrubbie and storage sack-now that's a two for one
idea that can come to some good use.
Cheers,
Oldfivetango:rolleyes:

Kerosene
03-09-2005, 16:44
I put my Fig Newtons in one of those short (and emptied out) Pringles chip tubes, or in one of the bigger the plastic Crystal Lite tubes. You shouldn't need to roll it in duct tape, although that can be where you store your tape.

swift
03-09-2005, 21:46
tennis ball tubes and racquetball tubes work great for crackers, and almost weightless. Also for my seegars

Two Speed
03-09-2005, 22:46
I've been using the Zip Lock brand tupperware style stuff. Comes in a variety of sizes, reasonably crush resistant, pretty lightweight, and waterproof, mostly. Also widely available at most grocery stores and inexpensive.

janal14
03-10-2005, 02:54
Round crackers tend to go well in one of the longer crystal light tubes...and I love me some crystal light. :D

Mother Nature
03-10-2005, 09:24
I support the previous posts with Prinkle cans and Crystal Light tubes. I have found that the Prinkle can tops have popped off but I put a small piece of duct tape on the top to make a hinge and that helped. One tube held up for 1200 miles.Prinkle will hold an entire sleeve of Ritz but the Crystal Light won't. I have stored eggs padded with napkins from a fast food restaurant in the Crystal Light Tube.

Mother Nature

John Breed
03-10-2005, 09:30
Eat it quickly and walk fast.
Crumbs taste good when your thru hiking