PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Layer Fleece Suggestions?

B-Rabbit
11-29-2011, 11:14
Does anyone have suggestions about a good fleece that I can wear under my shell to keep warm while hiking in a cold drizzle? I am looking for something that is lightweight, dries quickly, and is warm. Thanks!

HiKen2011
11-29-2011, 11:16
Does anyone have suggestions about a good fleece that I can wear under my shell to keep warm while hiking in a cold drizzle? I am looking for something that is lightweight, dries quickly, and is warm. Thanks!

You probably wont need a fleece while hiking, to hot. I like a lightweight base layer like a terramar.

Summit
11-29-2011, 11:28
This looks like it should do the trick, cheaply: http://www.amazon.com/Turfer-Mens-Polarfleece-Jacket/dp/B00022IB8Y

Looks like the rating concerns were about size, so consider the comments. I like a zippered front fleece for a mid-layer because you can raise/lower the zipper to regulate body temperature (as well as your shell zipper). In looking at alternatives, keep in mind not all fleece is created equal (nor priced that way either). The weight in fleece (thickness of weave) is expressed typically as 100, 200, 300 with 100 being thinner and more breathable and 300 being very thick and hardly breathable at all.
On past winter excursions I have used a zippered 100 fleece as my mid-layer under my shell, and when I cool down in camp and start to get cold I add a second pull-over 200 fleece. With two layers of fleece under my wind-proof shell, I'm comfortable down into the teens.

B-Rabbit
11-29-2011, 11:34
Yeah, Im looking for something to keep me warm during breaks and cooking and possibly hiking till I get warmed up. Maybe a 200?

Summit
11-29-2011, 11:35
You probably wont need a fleece while hiking, to hot. I like a lightweight base layer like a terramar.Nice alternative! Some people may not like the tight, spandex feel though. I kinda like loose fitting clothes on my big fat body! :)

Oak88
11-29-2011, 11:47
I am quite pleased with my R-2 Patagonia fleece which is considered a 200 weight fleece. It combines fleece with breathable material under the arms and is quite comfy.

Summit
11-29-2011, 11:47
Yeah, Im looking for something to keep me warm during breaks and cooking and possibly hiking till I get warmed up. Maybe a 200?As you will see, outfitter store prices can go quite high: http://www.rei.com/search?query=men%27s+fleece+jackets

Then there's Amazon and places like JCPenneys: http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=71049&CatID=71049&Grptyp=CLR&ItemId=1b285ad&sisearchengine=182&siproduct=Google&cm_mmc=ShoppingFeed-_-Google-_-Men-_-1b285ad&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=710491b285ad

I got lucky and got my zippered one (main one I use) off the REI sales rack for $12!

Blissful
11-29-2011, 14:31
Lands end makes some good fleece, though I'd consider it lightweight. I have my Terramar midweight one I got at the outfitter at Daleville for years and two hikes.

-Ghost-
11-30-2011, 00:22
Patagonia Cap 3. Personally, I think a mid layer fleece is overkill for most hiking, even if its chilly/rainy as you will likely sweat it out. I was comfortable hiking in my Patagonia Cap 1 under a rain jacket in pretty much any cold/wet conditions (30s and snowing or 40s and raining) I faced on the trail. Also, the Cap 1 dries very quickly. I saved my Cap 3 for in camp. Also, consider a Cap 1 like layer with a synthetic shirt over top and then a rain jacket for if you are particularly chilly.

ljcsov
11-30-2011, 13:28
Eddie Bauer has had a lot of sales lately. You can get a cloud layer 1/4 zip for $30 if you can find a 40% off deal which they had on Monday.

Ironbelly
11-30-2011, 13:33
I strongly suggest you check out your local goodwill,

Ironbelly
11-30-2011, 13:35
Stupid phone. I strongly suggest you check out your local goodwill, salvation army, or savers. These are 2nd hand stores and you can find all manners of fleece pullovers, jackets, shirts, as well as wool and other synthetic clothing. I just had a savers open up near me and have scored some really nice wool shirts and sweaters for just 3-5 bucks each.

Tinker
11-30-2011, 13:48
The only fleece I've gotten lately that I paid full price for was at RIs Ocean State Job Lot. It was a blaze jacket.

Most of my fleece I buy at the local Salvation army. You can find all sorts of sizes, prints, and fabric weights. Most cost $5.00 or so.

A base layer should be tight.
A mid layer should be loose enough to allow air to flow from the bottom hem up through the neck.
Full zips are better for venting.
Adding a windbreaker (or rain shell if that's what you have) will get a hiker essentially three garments from two - each one worn alone depending upon the weather, and both together for the third garment.
Fleece often dries faster than shelled, insulated jackets because the wind can blow right through it (which, again, makes it a good idea to use a shell).
If you're tempted to buy "windproof" fleece, be aware that only half of the material is windproof, the barrier being sandwiched between two fleece layers. Using a separate wind shell gives better wind proofness and more versatility.
As you can tell, I'm a big fan of fleece (even though it is relatively heavy it is very versatile).

B-Rabbit
11-30-2011, 14:16
All great info.! I have a marmot precip., just looking for the best system to use under it for all weather. Im not too worried about warmth while hiking. Im just looking for something to keep me warm while I take breaks and stop to eat lunch without having to put on my down jacket especially while I am wet from rain or sweat.

HiKen2011
11-30-2011, 14:26
Your origonal post said while hiking, that is why I said a light weight base layer.

leaftye
11-30-2011, 16:16
Stupid phone. I strongly suggest you check out your local goodwill, salvation army, or savers. These are 2nd hand stores and you can find all manners of fleece pullovers, jackets, shirts, as well as wool and other synthetic clothing. I just had a savers open up near me and have scored some really nice wool shirts and sweaters for just 3-5 bucks each.

It depends where you live. I've checked out the places near me frequently and only found one synthetic shirt. One day I decided to visit most of the places in San Diego COUNTY. It was a complete bust. The gas money I wasted would have been better spent on buying a new fleece.

Actually, I did find one wool sweater. It was a blend, and not a very good one. It was in a small size and had holes. I also found a lot of wool at a military surplus store, but it was quite expensive.